FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts VanTiki Mugs: Octopus Time Lapse
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
VanTiki Mugs: Octopus Time Lapse
TikiTres
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-31 09:17 am   Permalink

The table with VanTiki tiles is on page 3 here:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=29103&forum=7&start=30

View Profile of TikiTres Send a personal message to TikiTres  Email TikiTres     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-16 7:08 pm   Permalink

Aloha folks -

Finally back from Colorado. My lips have soaked up the humidity like a sponge, and no longer feel like ancient beef jerky coated in rock salt. Yeah. Other than that, Colorado was amazing and we had a great time. But hey - this thread is for mugs! I had to give these bisqued pieces a good dusting before I could begin the glazing process. They've been sitting around waiting for glaze for over a month! Here are the Hollow Log Brothers freshly glazed. I'll be firing them tomorrow. This clay body will turn a off white/tan/grey, and the interior glaze is a radiant gloss red. I dunno if you recall from my earlier posts, you can drink out of these fellows from their top-most cut off branch. Thursday night I'm finally getting around to a mug commission for thesneeze.com and over the weekend I hope to get the paper clay I bought freed from its plastic bag prison. I imagine it smells pretty terrible by now.

Going for a very worn stained wood/antler look with these fellows. Will it work? I dunno - I just want them to make it thru the glaze firing in 1 piece!

Mahalo for peeking (and for your patience - it has been far to long!) -
Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-09-16 10:31 pm   Permalink

Sweet mugs. I hear that paperclay is better after it molds a little

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2008-09-16 22:33 ]

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-17 07:07 am   Permalink

Damn good to have you back in the studio Van...can't wait to see what that crazy mind of yours is going to conjure up next! YAY!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-18 9:11 pm   Permalink

Aloha Folks!

MadDogMike and Babalu - thanks for the kind words! It is good to me back in the studio. The next 2 months are going to be really crazy for me in both my Day Job and my Clay Job - I can't wait!

Without further adieu, I present the finished Hollow Log Bros: Witch Doctors Extraordinaire!

http://www.vantiki.com/VanTiki/The_Hollow_Log_Brothers.html

Happy with these fellows. The "straw in a stump" worked out well, and I'll be using the concept again on future mugs. Will post in the marketplace on saturday when the auction goes live. Mahalo for peeking!

Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-09 6:28 pm   Permalink

Aloha Folks - and welcome to VanTiki Theatre!

Before we start the film Henrik would like to say a few words:

I've been working on a few commissioned mugs for Steve at theSneeze.com. As a rule I try to avoid commissions, as I usually end up getting totally swamped with day job work and never have time to hit the clay. This job was no exception, and Steve has been wonderfully patient waiting for me to put together his goodies. The mugs are based on the Tree Brain - and odd fungal growth in Steve's front yard that had attained a very bizarre quasi-celebrity status.
You may notice a striking resemblance to the hollow log brothers - welp, that is because they were kind of a "test bed" before I tackled the mugs on a larger (and I mean larger) scale. I'm happy to say I set up a camera to shoot the sculpting of the mugs Harryhousen style, and you can see the finished film here:

http://www.vantiki.com/VanTiki/Studio_Notes/Entries/2008/10/9_Bow_Before_The_Tree_Brain.html

I added a youtube version for those having trouble with the quicktime - not as nice, but it works!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNDFSb_5Y_4

A pic of the freshly-sculpted mugs (I'll shoot better ones once they firm up a bit):

And a big mahalo to Don Tiki for letting me use their music (and getting me into this whole mess in the first place)!

Mahalo for peeking,
Henrik "VanTiki"

[ This Message was edited by: VanTiki 2008-10-10 15:16 ]

Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-09 6:57 pm   Permalink

That is just the COOLEST video!! You go Henrik!! Working 2 at a time...why YES! Man, I can't wait to come visit you and your studio! Keep slinging that clay brother. Your the BOMB!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-10-10 1:16 pm   Permalink

The mugs are awesome! The tree brain blog is hilarious We had a tree brain fungi on a tree out back at work. My mouth was starting to water thinking about eating "chicken of the woods" so I went to go check ours out. Well there was a fungus among us and it looks like the fungus won. Turns out the tree fell over about a month ago, they chopped it up and hauled it off!

I tried 3 different computers here at work and couldn't get the video to work. Will try tonight from home.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-10-13 12:53 pm   Permalink

Cool video, nice to see the mugs "come to life" I'll have to slow the vid down and watch it frame by frame to see if I can pick up some trade secrets!

VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-25 11:46 am   Permalink

Aloha Folks!

Finally got some clear shots of the TreeBrain mugs. The brain cups are not in the photos - so just imagine the mugs with a weird fungal-brain-hat. They are a week into the drying process, and things look good so far (knock on coconut). Got gigantic Day Job project #1 done last monday, and it looks like I may finish gigantic Day Job project #2 today or tomorrow. What does that mean? Why - Studio time, of course! I cant wait to get covered in clay again!

Babalu and Mad Dog, mahalo for checking out the video. It became a YouTube featured video! 250,000 views! My 15 min of fame have arrived (and gone)

Mahalo for peeking -
Henrik "VanTiki"

[ This Message was edited by: VanTiki 2008-10-25 11:47 ]

Heath
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-25 12:11 pm   Permalink

Those are looking really good!
They remind me of an illustration in a book I had when I was a kid, I'm going to have to try to find those books now.

View Profile of Heath Send a personal message to Heath  Email Heath     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-31 07:50 am   Permalink

My GOSH! 250K views on that video! Dude your a STAR!

What's cookin in the studio?

Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-04 09:07 am   Permalink

Buuuump!

I needs a VanTiki fix.

VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-09 10:47 am   Permalink

Mahalo for the bump, babs!

Believe it or not, I haven't been swallowed up in a lava flow. I've been burning the midnight oil since October on a day job project. We are all very excited about it (not tiki, I'm sad to say), and I am even more excited about the fact that I'll be finished with it this Friday! Whew!~ I can't WAIT to get back to clay.

In the mean time I thought I'd share some shots with you folks of another project. NOw - this isn't tiki, but it it classic Hawaiiana. My parents are building a new house, and it is being done top-to-bottom in a classic 1920's Manoa style. A beautiful blend of arts and crafts meets sugar cane plantation - the homes have steep double pitched roofs (called "Dicky roofs" after the architect who made the roof his signature: C.W. Dickey) and are rapidly disappearing from the islands.
A neat feature of many original homes of this period were decorative privacy screens on the windows. Since winter is non-existent out here, all a window needs is a screen to keep out the bugs, and a little something to keep nosy neighbors from peeking in. That little something evolved into a decorative wood cutout, most often depicting stylized leaves, waves, or some other island theme. My parents wanted to incorporate the screens on their house and asked if I was interested. I jumped at the chance! My first challenge was materials - my parents live a few blocks closer to the beach than I do - and I know that the salt air would warp and split a wood cutout in no time. Since the cutout would be painted, I realized it didn't really need to be wood. We went totally high-tec to wage war with the salt air: 1/4" thick powder-coated aluminum cut with a water saw! I did 3 designs for 4 windows: an octopus, a fish, and fern leaves (they used the fish design for two windows). The fish and fern went into the pantry, the octopus in the closet vent, and the second fish in the main shower. They just hung the screens yesterday (they were finished months ago, and the waiting has been killing me ), and I zipped over to snap these shots:

I'm so happy with the way they turned out. The best part is we have had a bunch of people stop at the house while walking to the beach and ask how old the house is and how the renovation is going - they don't realize it is new!

Mahalo for peeking - I'll have clay in a few weeks! Promise! I gotta catch up to the Babalu clay tribe of genius!

Henrik "VanTiki"

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-12-09 12:40 pm   Permalink

Love that koi, did you make the designs?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation