FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts VanTiki Mugs: Octopus Time Lapse
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
VanTiki Mugs: Octopus Time Lapse
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-09 1:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-09 12:40, MadDogMike wrote:
Love that koi, did you make the designs?

Mahalo Mike!
Yep - I did all the illustrations as a digital file (in Adobe Illustrator) and had them cut out of aluminum by a giant robot. A very fun project. I am also doing twol series of island themed tiles for the kitchen and living room of the house. Hope to get those done early January.

edit: Forgot to add - the robot messed up the koi on the first attempt (forgot to cut one of the fins on the tail) - so we ended up with an extra set that I got to keep! Now I just need to find a place for them. We are thinking bedroom closet - for now they are hanging out in my office.

[ This Message was edited by: VanTiki 2008-12-09 13:08 ]

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-09 6:54 pm   Permalink

Henrick, It's very cool to see what you've been up to! :-) That koi is amazing...I hope you were able to stand there and watch that thing cut those out.

Your parents must be STOKED!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-09 7:18 pm   Permalink

The octopus is the best Love to see some more pics of the house too!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-06 2:46 pm   Permalink

Ok - believe it or not, I've actually finished a mug! I know, I know, after three months of near silence it is hard to swallow. I assure you it is true, and that more mugs will be coming along shortly! The end of 08 turned into a bit of a whirlwind for my day job. Happily, 2009 is here, and with it the wonderful smell of fresh clay!

Here is the newest finished fellow: The Gold Eater. I'll post more about it in the marketplace when the auction kicks off this weekend, but I wanted to share a few shots with the fellow creators in this forum. I tried several new things with this guy - the whole mug-within-a-mug thing (look for three more pieces along this vein in the future) and I was able to try airbrushing under-glazes for the first time as well. Very excited about future airbrush glaze possibilities. I also had a good time cooking up this mugs back-story, which you can read about here:

http://www.vantiki.com/VanTiki/The_Gold_Eater.html

And now the Photos!

Mahalo for peeking (and not forgetting about me!).
Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-06 2:58 pm   Permalink

always mind blowing.... !!!!

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-06 4:52 pm   Permalink

YES! An excellent treat from all angles!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-06 5:22 pm   Permalink

I almost forgot what a Van mug looks like. Don't let that happen again. Cheers

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-06 5:23 pm   Permalink

Very cool Meso-American vibe, shdes of earth monster/cave/mother who swallows the corpse back into the earth! Dig the skulls and gold!
Resplendant!

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-06 5:47 pm   Permalink

Henrik, glad you finally got out, did you get the care package I sent with the soap-on-a-rope? Hope your new parole officer isn't as bad as the last one...oh, the TC people don't know?...sorry

It's good that your day job is keeping you busy (money is a great thing) but I'm happy to see you playing with the clay again. The new mug is gorgeous!

Mike

"I want you to shake the freak tree and invite anyone that drops to the ground. Dwarfs and giants, magicians, Zulu tribesmen, contortionists, fire eaters... and priests. We're going to need to confess" Freddy Mercury in "Bohemian Rhapsody

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NOTCH
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-06 7:01 pm   Permalink

Bitchin!!!

View Profile of NOTCH Send a personal message to NOTCH  Email NOTCH     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-07 11:26 am   Permalink

Mahalo for the positive vibes everyone! Your kind words of aloha kept me warm on a cold January day in Kailua

Monkeyman - I aim to please!

Babalu - Mahalo - This mug will be tricky to display, lots going on all over!

teaKEY - I'll do my best to keep them coming. I may not have had time for clay over the past few months, but I did plenty of sketches - and I can't wait to try them out in clay.

Sneakytiki - Thank you so much! I wanted this mug to look OLD - as if made by an ancient culture that traveled to the island thousands of years ago (perhaps on an ice-age land bridge?) and the natives of VanTiki island discovered it and revered it. I know, I'm crazy.

MadDog - Well, they didn't exactly let me out - lets just say the file-shaped birthday cake you sent came in handy.

NOTCH - Mahalo!

I wanted to add one more photo to give a better sense of scale. This mug is HEAVY - I don't know how heavy because my little scale maxes out at 7 pounds, so let's just say it is 7+ pounds

Once again, Mahalo!
TC no ka oi!

Henrik "VanTiki"

BigToe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-07 3:52 pm   Permalink

Van, ur my HERO!

that is so completely sick i am drooling...even more than usual!

insanely brilliant

Alohas, t

View Profile of BigToe Send a personal message to BigToe  Email BigToe Goto the website of BigToe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-07 5:53 pm   Permalink

With the gold "sacrifice" out of the mouth, I just noticed the hands holding the mouth open!

"I want you to shake the freak tree and invite anyone that drops to the ground. Dwarfs and giants, magicians, Zulu tribesmen, contortionists, fire eaters... and priests. We're going to need to confess" Freddy Mercury in "Bohemian Rhapsody

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-13 7:35 pm   Permalink

Aloha folks!

Got some more studio time in this week - was able to get a start on a series I've been kicking around: Caution - Giant Crabs, and Caution - Giant Squid. Here is a first stab at the giant crabs taking shape. I imagine these fellows patrolling the beaches of VanTiki island by the light of a full moon. The Natives think they are delicious, unfortunately, the crabs feel the same way about the natives. This is a huge mug made from a claw shell:

I was hoping to make a mug you could wear - but I dunno if I got this claw big enough...

Next up: The Giant Squid idea needed a skull, so I made a few. The one on the right will end up as a Trepanning accident mug (remember those?). The one with the jaw will be a part of the Giant Squid mug. And as you may notice the treebrain mugs survived the bisque fire with flying colors All these sculpts are still a bit rough - just wanted to give you all a peek!

Mahalo,
Henrik

[ This Message was edited by: VanTiki 2009-01-14 10:50 ]

MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-13 8:08 pm   Permalink

HOLY CRAP!!!!! I am SO glad I'm allergic to crab!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation