FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts VanTiki Mugs: New mugs - Hot Damn! 4-7
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
VanTiki Mugs: New mugs - Hot Damn! 4-7
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-12-09 1:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-09 12:40, MadDogMike wrote:
Love that koi, did you make the designs?

Mahalo Mike!
Yep - I did all the illustrations as a digital file (in Adobe Illustrator) and had them cut out of aluminum by a giant robot. A very fun project. I am also doing twol series of island themed tiles for the kitchen and living room of the house. Hope to get those done early January.

edit: Forgot to add - the robot messed up the koi on the first attempt (forgot to cut one of the fins on the tail) - so we ended up with an extra set that I got to keep! Now I just need to find a place for them. We are thinking bedroom closet - for now they are hanging out in my office.

[ This Message was edited by: VanTiki 2008-12-09 13:08 ]

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-09 6:54 pm   Permalink

Henrick, It's very cool to see what you've been up to! :-) That koi is amazing...I hope you were able to stand there and watch that thing cut those out.

Your parents must be STOKED!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-09 7:18 pm   Permalink

The octopus is the best Love to see some more pics of the house too!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-06 2:46 pm   Permalink

Ok - believe it or not, I've actually finished a mug! I know, I know, after three months of near silence it is hard to swallow. I assure you it is true, and that more mugs will be coming along shortly! The end of 08 turned into a bit of a whirlwind for my day job. Happily, 2009 is here, and with it the wonderful smell of fresh clay!

Here is the newest finished fellow: The Gold Eater. I'll post more about it in the marketplace when the auction kicks off this weekend, but I wanted to share a few shots with the fellow creators in this forum. I tried several new things with this guy - the whole mug-within-a-mug thing (look for three more pieces along this vein in the future) and I was able to try airbrushing under-glazes for the first time as well. Very excited about future airbrush glaze possibilities. I also had a good time cooking up this mugs back-story, which you can read about here:

http://www.vantiki.com/VanTiki/The_Gold_Eater.html

And now the Photos!

Mahalo for peeking (and not forgetting about me!).
Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-06 2:58 pm   Permalink

always mind blowing.... !!!!

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-06 4:52 pm   Permalink

YES! An excellent treat from all angles!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-06 5:22 pm   Permalink

I almost forgot what a Van mug looks like. Don't let that happen again. Cheers

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-06 5:23 pm   Permalink

Very cool Meso-American vibe, shdes of earth monster/cave/mother who swallows the corpse back into the earth! Dig the skulls and gold!
Resplendant!

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-06 5:47 pm   Permalink

Henrik, glad you finally got out, did you get the care package I sent with the soap-on-a-rope? Hope your new parole officer isn't as bad as the last one...oh, the TC people don't know?...sorry

It's good that your day job is keeping you busy (money is a great thing) but I'm happy to see you playing with the clay again. The new mug is gorgeous!

Mike

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NOTCH
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-06 7:01 pm   Permalink

Bitchin!!!

View Profile of NOTCH Send a personal message to NOTCH  Email NOTCH     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-07 11:26 am   Permalink

Mahalo for the positive vibes everyone! Your kind words of aloha kept me warm on a cold January day in Kailua

Monkeyman - I aim to please!

Babalu - Mahalo - This mug will be tricky to display, lots going on all over!

teaKEY - I'll do my best to keep them coming. I may not have had time for clay over the past few months, but I did plenty of sketches - and I can't wait to try them out in clay.

Sneakytiki - Thank you so much! I wanted this mug to look OLD - as if made by an ancient culture that traveled to the island thousands of years ago (perhaps on an ice-age land bridge?) and the natives of VanTiki island discovered it and revered it. I know, I'm crazy.

MadDog - Well, they didn't exactly let me out - lets just say the file-shaped birthday cake you sent came in handy.

NOTCH - Mahalo!

I wanted to add one more photo to give a better sense of scale. This mug is HEAVY - I don't know how heavy because my little scale maxes out at 7 pounds, so let's just say it is 7+ pounds

Once again, Mahalo!
TC no ka oi!

Henrik "VanTiki"

BigToe
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-07 3:52 pm   Permalink

Van, ur my HERO!

that is so completely sick i am drooling...even more than usual!

insanely brilliant

Alohas, t

View Profile of BigToe Send a personal message to BigToe  Email BigToe Goto the website of BigToe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-07 5:53 pm   Permalink

With the gold "sacrifice" out of the mouth, I just noticed the hands holding the mouth open!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-13 7:35 pm   Permalink

Aloha folks!

Got some more studio time in this week - was able to get a start on a series I've been kicking around: Caution - Giant Crabs, and Caution - Giant Squid. Here is a first stab at the giant crabs taking shape. I imagine these fellows patrolling the beaches of VanTiki island by the light of a full moon. The Natives think they are delicious, unfortunately, the crabs feel the same way about the natives. This is a huge mug made from a claw shell:

I was hoping to make a mug you could wear - but I dunno if I got this claw big enough...

Next up: The Giant Squid idea needed a skull, so I made a few. The one on the right will end up as a Trepanning accident mug (remember those?). The one with the jaw will be a part of the Giant Squid mug. And as you may notice the treebrain mugs survived the bisque fire with flying colors All these sculpts are still a bit rough - just wanted to give you all a peek!

Mahalo,
Henrik

[ This Message was edited by: VanTiki 2009-01-14 10:50 ]

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-13 8:08 pm   Permalink

HOLY CRAP!!!!! I am SO glad I'm allergic to crab!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation