FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts VanTiki Mugs: New mugs - Hot Damn! 4-7
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
VanTiki Mugs: New mugs - Hot Damn! 4-7
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-14 07:16 am   Permalink

Holy Crab Shacks!! Your on fire Henrik! I'm soooo happy your back playing in the studio! I love, love these progress shots you post. Oh Thank you, Thank you!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-14 09:51 am   Permalink

Oh I love the gold eater!! super cool!!

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigToe
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-14 11:02 am   Permalink

brilliant...that claw is insane. can't wait to see the squid.

no really, hurry up and finish!

MAD alohas, t

View Profile of BigToe Send a personal message to BigToe  Email BigToe Goto the website of BigToe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-14 11:45 am   Permalink

7 pounds! Da-amn! Use a straw.

The claw is too crazy, but very diggable.

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-14 11:49 am   Permalink

Mahalo everyone!

Allow me to introduce the HenrikCrab:

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-14 7:02 pm   Permalink

Thats insane man! You're not going to be able to ship those puppies soon, they getting BIG

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-15 11:48 am   Permalink

Babalu - I'm Soooooo happy to be playing with the clay again! glad you like the progress shots. I love it so much when other TC artists show their process - so I feel compelled to share as well.

Charita - Mahalo! It is going to be hard to box that one up and send it away. Sigh....

BigToe - I'm happy to say that "Caution: Giant Squid" mug photos are mere sentences away!

Robb - Yeah, it is beefy!

Hewey - Ms. VanTiki shares your shipping concerns. I keep telling myself that I gotta do a few smaller works next, but big is so fun!

OK - on to the new one! I call it "Caution: Giant Squid". Took a bunch of shots as the mug took shape. First off - the sketch. I really enjoyed making those tentacle mugs last year, and I thought I could expand on the idea with a bizarre "wine glass" type of mug - with the stem of the glass being a tentacle and the bowl being a skull.

Fist step was spending an hour or so producing a zillion suckers of various sizes. Did these out of a vivid blue porcelain

Next up I rolled out a hefty slab of the ceramic paper clay. THe clay looks red (the black streaks you see are mold - eew!), but it will be an off white when fired. THe wood strips on the side help me control the thickness of the slab

After a couple of test rolls, I cut a piece of clay pie

And roll it into a big pointy cone!

NOw - the nifty thing about this paper clay stuff is you can attach dry clay to wet clay - that is how I could wrap the wet tentacle around the three-day-dry skull. After a few test fits, I scored and slipped the skull and tentacle together

At this point I hit the tentacle with my blowtorch to firm it up. Wanted it to hold its shape without slumping before moving on to the next step. This is another great thing about paper clay - I can force-dry it with almost no worries about cracking (or so I am told). From this point on I added all the details. Texturing the back and "fleshy underside", adding some edging, and sticking all the little suckers in (which had dried out at this point, letting me press them into the wet tentacle without distorting them).

And here we have the finished sculpt!

Not quite as cute as my original sketch - but I can always try another!

Mahalo for peeking,
Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-15 3:08 pm   Permalink

Amazing! I gotta get (or make) me some paper clay - what the heck, I already have a blowtorch!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-16 08:22 am   Permalink

Dang Sweet! The blue underglaze on those suckers is going to look cool! Like MD, I'm going to have to look up more info on that paper clay - love the way your rolling slabs out with the stuff....looks fun as hell

Your smackin'-um outta the park Henrick!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-16 11:16 am   Permalink

Are those blue suckers that colored porcelain stuff?

VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-16 11:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-01-16 11:16, Babalu wrote:
Are those blue suckers that colored porcelain stuff?

Yessir - this is the stuff I've been using. It is $$ - but as I only use it for highlights I imagine the first batch of color I purchased will last me for years.

http://www.axner.com/axner/claybodies/clay-colored-porcelain.php

Here is the paperclay I've been using - they ship flat rate priority mail! FANTASTIC news for someone who lives on a far off island in the Pacific

http://www.axner.com/axner/claybodies/clay-paperclay.php

Get some and go crazy! It is a bit different than standard clay - the fibers can sometimes get in the way, but I've been enjoying the benefits of the clay too much to complain!

Mahalo,
Henrik

Tiki Shark Art
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-16 11:34 am   Permalink

Vantiki~ WOW!
You are reaching into my dark dreams and pulling out mug designs near and dear to my twisted tormented soul! I will chant praises to the elder sea gods on your behalf!
FANTASTIC!

http://youtu.be/7HTCkZXaA

View Profile of Tiki Shark Art Send a personal message to Tiki Shark Art  Email Tiki Shark Art Goto the website of Tiki Shark Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-16 11:41 am   Permalink

Sweet! I called my guys here in SD to see if I could have them order 50 lbs of the low fire white "wades" to try, but they said it came out of Ohio....so thanks for the link man.

I also ordered up 100 lbs of that Red Laguna EM-234 cone 06 stuff today....I think it will work better than that whiteware with grog in larger applications.

YAY CLAY!

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-16 11:49 am   Permalink

Babalu, that's funny - I called Freeform this morning about paperclay too. Now they're thinking WTF?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-19 9:29 pm   Permalink

so amazing! love seeing progress pics. really blows my mind. Great work on the squid!

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation