FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts VanTiki Mugs: Octopus Time Lapse
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
VanTiki Mugs: Octopus Time Lapse
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-22 3:49 pm   Permalink

Aloha Folks!

First off, a warning: If you are a Tiki purist, you may want to look away. This next mug isn't a tiki (well, I guess the last 2 weren't tiki either, but at least they were nautical/tropical). If you are anti-robot, or if you feel that all mugs must be tiki shaped, please avert your eyes

So I love robots. There. I said it. Some of you may have seen some of my stainless steel robots in my "non-tiki" thread in the Forum of Mystery. I was going to talk about this mug there as well - but I decided to not be ashamed of its robotic roots and share it with everyone I sketched a few robot mugs last year - one was "The Rusting Remains of Attack Robot 12" and I had another called "Robot 3 - some assembly required" (it consisted of a head and hand shaped mug set). I would occasionally look back at the sketches, but I never felt the spark to make them till I had a bit of an LED breakthrough yesterday afternoon. I love making light up mugs:

http://www.vantiki.com/VanTiki/Fire_God.html

and yesterday I thought of a way to wire the LEDs through the clay walls of the mug! Yes! Now, lemmie just say I am sure I'm not the first to think this up, but I am really stoked about the possibilities! I ran out to Radio Shack and Kailua Hardware before they closed, and this morning I put together a "test Bed" robot mug. Consider this fellow a prototype - I wanted to test both my wiring idea and some glaze application techniques before going all-out.

WHat is the idea? Well, I was cleaning up my workbench when I came upon a box of wax wire sprues that I use for casting rings and other metal goodies. I suddenly realized that I could imbed them into clay - and that after firing I'd have perfect hollow channels running through the clay that I could slide wire through! The wax is a bit delicate - so I ran to the hardware store to look for possible substitutes. I settled on the rubber gasket wire used to hold the screen into a screen-window frame.

Here are some shots of this morning's mug taking shape. This was all put together with my new friend: Paper Clay (but I am sure it would work with any kind of ceramic body).

Photo 1 - Roughed out the body and head shape. I then used a loop tool to carve out 2 channels for the rubber to sit in (1 for each eye)

photo 2 - rubber wire pressed into place. the ends of the wire run into the hollow bottom of the "upper body" shape

photo 3 - using coils of clay, I fill in the wire channels and smooth out the surface.

photo 4 - I begin detailing the mug, and add on eye shapes that will help to hold and protect the LEDs.

photo 5,6 - more detail, and done!

The top dome has a straw hole and is removable. Eyes will light up via a push button on the robots back. Batteries stored in the body at the base of the mug. This fellow is just a test - I am VERY excited about the possibilities this may open up for future mugs! Whoo!

Mahalo for peeking,
Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-22 5:00 pm   Permalink

Way cool Henrik! I did a cobra-shaped straw with a similar technique, I used a thin cotton rope instead of rubber. That way it didn't stink to high heaven when it burned out. The rubber spline would leave smoother channels than rope though. The rope had enough "give" that it didn't crack the clay as it dried, I'm sure the rubber would do the same. Or did you plan to pull the rubber out before firing?

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2009-01-22 17:03 ]

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-22 8:13 pm   Permalink

Man even your "test" mug idea is amazing!

Can't wait to see the results.

Great concept!

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-22 10:37 pm   Permalink

Leleliz - mahalo! I like the little test fellow too. Perhaps I'll get to keep this one

MadDog - Good idea on the rope! I was originally going to use the foam tubing backer that you stuff into a crack before sealing it with caulk, but I couldn't find it in a small enough diameter. Time for a google search! As far as clay shrinkage, I'm hoping that the paper clay is tough enough to handle it without cracking. We shall see! It is gonna stink when I fire it - but my kiln is vented (yaay) so it shouldn't be too bad.

Henrik

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-22 11:01 pm   Permalink

GENIUS!!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-23 08:08 am   Permalink

I don't know.....kind of looks like a fire hydrant to me.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-01-23 10:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-01-23 08:08, Jungle Trader wrote:

Let's hope Fido doesn't think it looks like a hydrant!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-23 10:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-01-23 08:08, Jungle Trader wrote:

Ha - yeah, I see what you mean. Hopefully the glaze idea I have for it will discourage any fire trucks from pulling up to my studio

Henrik

VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-23 6:37 pm   Permalink

So you folks may remember those BIG treebrain mugs I sculpted for www.thesneeze.com I bisqued them before xmas, and while I loved the mugs, I hated the fit and look of the brains. Today I decided to do something about it. I wrapped the bisqued trees in saran wrap, and sculpted some fresh custom-fit mug cup toppers for them. Hopefully the shrinkage won't pose too great a problem and they will still fit after firing. This is the third attempt at sculpting a brain I liked for these mugs. A tricky balance between the real fungus that inspired the mug, and an actual brain. Here is a peek (these are two different mugs):

Mahalo for peeking!
Henrik "VanTiki"

VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-14 10:08 am   Permalink

Lots has been cooking since my last post - let's see...

Fist up, made a new "making of" time-lapse video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk6afOheBuo&feature=channel_page

Secondly, glazed up the Tree Brain mugs and am really happy with the results!

And lastly, I am dipping my toe into the FaceBook pages pool. Become a fan!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/VanTiki/54728547171

Whew! Busy week!
Mahalo for peeking -

Henrik

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-14 12:04 pm   Permalink

Henrik, a "mug accessory"? You're either a genius or a madman - I vote for genius

VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-15 4:17 pm   Permalink

Mike - I hope you are right!

Here are some shots of the wall sconce slowly drying. I had fun detailing the "stone slabs" that the small mug will rest on inside the mouth. This is a big one!

Mahalo,
Henrik

TiKiMaN77
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-16 12:01 am   Permalink

Dude..you truly are a MAD GENIUS!! Is it any wonder I've gotten so many cool ideas jsut from checking out your thread. Haven't done anything with them, but they are all jsut swimming around in my brain.

Truly fantastic stuff Henrick. Keep 'em coming...Please.

View Profile of TiKiMaN77 Send a personal message to TiKiMaN77  Email TiKiMaN77 Goto the website of TiKiMaN77     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-17 6:43 pm   Permalink

ahhhh, very cool vid Henrick.

I've been away for a minute doing some other stuff; it was very nice coming back to this. I hope it gets as many views as that last one Keep rockin' the house brother!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-22 10:27 am   Permalink

Aloha Folks -

Been doing some glazing this weekend - Yesterday I did up the Robot Prototype A1, and today (after a bit of GeoCaching) I'm getting some paint on the squid tentacle. I played with a bunch of different application techniques on the robot head. I call it a prototype, because I am using it to try a few things before making some larger robots. Here is the freshly painted piece:

Keep in mind - these colors will shift A LOT when I fire it. Cold be for the better - could be (most likely) for the worse! Lots of masking, washing. and airbrushing on this one. The mouth grill and inner eyes are a gloss black, and after the first firing I'll go back over them with a white gold glaze (followed by another firing) to get a chrome effect. Man, I hope it comes out OK. I hate putting so much time into glazing only to have it ruined in the kiln! No wonder I chew my nails!

Mahalo for peeking -
Henrik "VanTiki"

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation