FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts VanTiki Mugs: New mugs - Hot Damn! 4-7
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
VanTiki Mugs: New mugs - Hot Damn! 4-7
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-22 9:32 pm   Permalink

Love the distressed/aged look! I too, got some white gold luster I've been messing with a little - does it work best over black or does it make much difference what you put it over?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-24 1:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-02-22 21:32, MadDogMike wrote:
Love the distressed/aged look! I too, got some white gold luster I've been messing with a little - does it work best over black or does it make much difference what you put it over?

Well - the problem with applying the gold luster over gloss black is that the gold luster itself is gloss black until you fire it. Makes it really hard to keep track of what you have glazed. The guy I bought it from recommends applying it outdoors - as the dried luster lacquer has a reddish tint in sunlight and that makes it easer to see what you have and haven't painted. Since the luster is opaque, I've had better results applying it over a vivd gloss red glaze - I could keep track of what I painted, and it turned out looking really sharp. I opted for gloss black on this one because I wanted any unpainted areas to be black - and I kinda did a sloppy application to make the robot look beat up and old. THe big key I have found in my ultra-limited experience with the luster glazes is that the key to success is a high gloss base glaze. Painted luster on the robot this morning, and the firing just finished (cone 019). Can't wait to see if it worked!

Henrik

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-24 1:15 pm   Permalink

I had the same issue with using the Gold and Platinum at first as well, being that i was using it over solid black underglaze/clear glazed sections. For waht i was doing, doing fine line stuff, i started to plan out before i underglazed the black sections, leaving thin lines unpainted so that i would have those spots visible when i painted on the gold and platinum.
That odd smell they have is almost nice, there is an aromatic(probably a scent they added) that is herbal and reminiscent of some herbal liqueurs, i kind of like it. I recently played with intentionally poisoning the gold to get some interesting effects as well.

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-24 1:38 pm   Permalink

I like the way the Robot is looking...even just in the early stages.

Look forward to seeing how it comes out.

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-24 6:09 pm   Permalink

I think I read that the gold luster is based on lavender or violet oil, it is an oddly pleasant smell. OO, tell me about "poisoning the gold".

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-25 6:08 pm   Permalink

Do not fear the robot - it means you no harm!

More info later - I gotta run, I'm supposed to be cleaning the house!

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-25 6:44 pm   Permalink

Beautiful work Van! Robot is GO

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-25 6:51 pm   Permalink

That's so cool Henrik. The finish work on this feller is top shelf! The lite up eyes are cool too. The button looks a little to new and perfect maybe?

You da man!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-25 6:58 pm   Permalink

Awesome distressed finish, complete with rust streaks! Did you use the "VanTiki Method" of burying the wires?

VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-26 1:10 pm   Permalink

OceaOtia - Mahalo!

Babalu - I agree about the button. This fellow is a prototype (hence the name Prototype A1) and I think he's be staying on my shelf as "reference" (i.e. something cool to distract me from work while on my computer). I have a bunch of vintage goodies that I collected specifically for ceramic robots that I am really excited about. And fret not - you will never see a button this shiny again!

MadDog - I also was stoked to see how the underglazes looked after the firing. I am still getting the feel for the color shift that this paper clay goes through when firing, and how it affects the glazes (starts a mottled tan/brown, bisques to a light pink (of all things) and ends up a kind of tan parchment color). I did indeed run the wires through hollow channels in the mug's clay wall. A bit of a hassle, as after shrinkage the channels were REALLY tiny! Used a very thin wire, and had a heck of a time soldering all the connections.

VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-03 12:48 pm   Permalink

Noticed a strange sign on the beach this morning...

Walked a bit further and found this fellow finishing up its breakfast!

Mahalo for peeking -
Henrik "VanTiki"

leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-03 1:17 pm   Permalink

Love those suckers!

Killer work as always VT!

[ This Message was edited by: leleliz 2009-03-03 13:19 ]

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Liana
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-03 2:06 pm   Permalink

Vantiki, LOVE this! Infact, I don't think there is a Vantiki creation I saw that I didn't like!

View Profile of Liana Send a personal message to Liana  Goto the website of Liana     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-04 06:54 am   Permalink

Two ways 2 drink from it? KILLER work

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-04 10:10 am   Permalink

Leleliz - A big mahalo - glad you like it!

Liana - Thank you so much - but I am sure I'll eventually put together something wacky that you don't care for

teaKEY - Sorry to disappoint, but you can only drink from this one way. Think of it like a wine glass: the tentacle is the stem and the skull is the bowl. I didn't glaze the tentacle interior so you can't flip it and drink out of it.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation