FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » VanTiki Mugs: Octopus Time Lapse
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
VanTiki Mugs: Octopus Time Lapse
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-22 12:03 pm   Permalink

Brad - those beach sign photos are great! I'm still working on getting a run of signs produced - but as you may have noticed I dropped off of the clay map for the past month while cranking away on a "day-job" project. Good news is I am finishing the final illustrations for the job today, and after a much needed 4 days off (relaxing in Volcano village no less!) I will be dusting off my clay table and getting back to the fun stuff! I have a bunch of post-its with mug sketches, as well as a bunch of mug-idea notes on my phone that I've been jotting down that I am looking forward to bringing into the third dimension.

On a side note - I have had a bit of clay fun in the past four weeks. I've been Taking classes at the Hawaii Potter's Guild with my dad off-and-on for a while, and we recently decided to switch things up by taking a hand-building class instead of a wheel throwing class. It has been fun - I dunno if I have actually learned anything - but I do really appreciate the chance to make some clay goodies, spend time with my dad, hang out with other artists, and get away from my computer. Most of the pieces I've been making are non-tiki, so I haven't posted any shots. Last week some of the students found my website and wanted to make tiki mugs, and the teacher asked me to do a mug class. Well, how could I refuse! I took in a few of my old pongo log mugs to class last night and we all made tiki vessels. It was a lot of fun, and I am very curious as to how my first high-fire mug will turn out. I put it together REALLY fast (as it was a demonstration mug), so I give it a 50-50 chance of surviving the bisque firing. I'll shoot some photos of it at next week's class.

Ok - back to work!

Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-29 12:34 pm   Permalink

Ok - took some shaky cell-phone shots of the demonstration mug - as is was a demo, I dub it The Great DEMOKU. Took a Pongo log and went to town on it. I slapped the basic shape together fairly quick last week, so I have low expectations of this surviving the firing. Also, I can't baby the drying process as it is a communal kiln set up over there - so fingers are crossed! The mugs that the other students made turned out great - and there is talk of Mai-Tais on the last day of class when we get all the finished mugs out of the kiln.

Mahalo for peeking!
Henrik "vanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-29 12:51 pm   Permalink

I love how when you "slap the basic shape together" it ends up being awesome!

Everytime you stick up a new design on this thread it blows me away.

Amazing as always - even in its early stages.

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-29 12:58 pm   Permalink

WOWZA!
THIS NEW FELLAH TAKES THE CAKE!
Great art just spills out of your hands,Van!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shark Art
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-01 3:03 pm   Permalink

View Profile of Tiki Shark Art Send a personal message to Tiki Shark Art  Email Tiki Shark Art Goto the website of Tiki Shark Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-01 4:44 pm   Permalink

YUMMY!

Thanx for the fix brother Van!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-04 11:41 am   Permalink

Mahalo everyone!

Leleliz - You wouldn't be impressed with the slapped together shape if I took a photo of it at that stage! The other students in the class were exchanging concerned looks while the odd mug took shape

Kenny - Mega Mahalo!

Brad - the photos are killing me! Once I get my normal life back I gotta follow up on those sign quotes...

Babalu - You are very welcome!

Wanted to share a write up on my mugs (and me) in the current issue of Honolulu magazine. Good news for you mainland folk: the article is online!

http://www.honolulumagazine.com/Honolulu-Magazine/May-2009/Fantasy-Island/

I was really happy with the way it turned out. I was interviewed/photographed months ago, but they kept pushing the story. The writer (who is the Managing Editor) had to convince the staff that I wasn't making ABC store plastic tiki mugs in my studio The best part: they used one of my mug photos FULL PAGE for the magazine's table of contents. I squeaked with delight when I saw it!

(a very giddy) Henrik

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-05-05 06:01 am   Permalink

Very Cool Henrik, soon you'll be world famous! Nice article

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-05 09:21 am   Permalink

I only wish someone made cheapo abs plastic mugs as cool as yours.

Congrats on the article, I gotta read it now... (so I assume congrats)

View Profile of Badd Tiki Send a personal message to Badd Tiki  Goto the website of Badd Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-11 9:36 pm   Permalink

Put together another time-lapse video of studio action!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HCYk3SO7pk

be sure to watch it in HD - looks MUCH better!

Mahalo,
Henrik

leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-11 10:10 pm   Permalink

So THAT is how you made it!

Its like the secrets of the universe have been revealed

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-12 7:39 pm   Permalink

some quick shots of the new DEMOKU mugs -

OK, gotta get back to work!

leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-12 7:42 pm   Permalink

Henrik when you list these on Ebay please spell them wrong...like stick them under
"Totem Pole Art" or something so I have a chance to win them

That video makes it look so easy and the end results are always amazing.

VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-26 12:24 pm   Permalink

Aloha folks -
My apologies for a double post, but I thought I'd post the shots of the PNG mask mugs I did for the Summer Tiki Swap over here as well. For those who have not been perusing that thread, this summer's theme is PNG. I opted to make a mask mug that you could hang on your wall when not drinking from it. I did two, just in case one dies during the firing/drying process. If they both make it, I'll be faced with the dilemma of keep-or-sell! These shots are of the finished sculpt, still deed to dry, fire, glaze, and fire it again!

Mahalo for peeking -
Henrik

TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-26 12:34 pm   Permalink

I dont know if that will actually hang or not...better just send it to me to test it out .
If it gets wet or something I'll just keep it lol

(somebodys gonna get awful lucky!)

View Profile of TIKIVILLE Send a personal message to TIKIVILLE  Email TIKIVILLE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation