FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts VanTiki Mugs: Octopus Time Lapse
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
VanTiki Mugs: Octopus Time Lapse
TikiKIrby
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-11-27 7:55 pm   Permalink

Wow, fantastic job on the glaze!!! Now that's a mug... I'm just learning about glazes, and brother I have a WHOLE new respect for that and for what you do, crazy complicated!!!!

View Profile of TikiKIrby Send a personal message to TikiKIrby  Email TikiKIrby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZeroTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-28 09:41 am   Permalink

Amazing work yet again!

View Profile of ZeroTiki Send a personal message to ZeroTiki  Email ZeroTiki Goto the website of ZeroTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikifan1
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-11-28 09:53 am   Permalink

Those are some groovy rattlers. Love the awesomeness.

View Profile of Tikifan1 Send a personal message to Tikifan1  Email Tikifan1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-28 7:04 pm   Permalink

Mahalo everyone!

The glaze on the rattles was applied in a fingernail-biting series of two glaze firings - the first at cone 010 and the second at cone 6. Soooooooo relieved that both mugs made it through crack-free!

Aloha -
Henrik

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-31 1:37 pm   Permalink

OMG - Tiki Oasis 11 is getting dangerously close!

With that cold-sweat inducing mantra, I'll be working away in the studio every night for a spell to craft a bevy of goodies to take with me in August. I'll share the creation here as things unfold.

First off - as you may have noticed I've been rather anti-prolific this year. Truth be told, my computer illustration work got extremely busy, leaving little time for mugs. Now that I've got a hard and fast deadline to focus on, I'm hoping to finally get my ever-growing pile if idea sketches turned into ceramic reality.

I'm planning a variety of pieces for Oasis - and the first to take shape are a new assortment of Framed Faces. What are Framed Faces? Here is a refresher:

http://www.vantiki.com/VanTiki/Framed_Face_1.html

I had a blast making these last year, and as I still have some neat frames left over, I decided it was time to fill them with faces. I printed out some profoundly moving reference poses and set up my workspace:

First fellow ready for drying. Note the holes thru the lips for lashing after glazing and firing.

Next guy taking shape. I like to do these in both portrait and landscape orientation. They are meant to plug into a 4x6 frame opening - but I usually have to modify the fame a bit to account for uneven shrinking. Yellow porcelain eye, white porcelain teeth

#2 ready to dry!

And a third fellow joins the party!

I hope to do two more of these guys, then move onto other pieces. Mahalo for peeking - and I hope to see you all at Tiki Oasis!

Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-31 1:47 pm   Permalink

VanTiki? I think I remember that guy

Henrik's coming back to OASIS!!!! You been spending the last year building up a resistance to rum so you'd be ready to party? Hope to see you there, love the tiles.
"I want you to shake the freak tree and invite anyone that drops to the ground. Dwarfs and giants, magicians, Zulu tribesmen, contortionists, fire eaters... and priests. We're going to need to confess" Freddy Mercury in "Bohemian Rhapsody

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-31 2:23 pm   Permalink

WOW, THEY MUST BE REALLY GOOD BECAUSE I'M ALL CREEPED OUT! WENDY

PS SEE YOU AT OASIS

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-31 3:18 pm   Permalink

Love the concept. Very exotic primitive look to them. Excellent work.

Bear

View Profile of Bruddah Bear Send a personal message to Bruddah Bear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-01 10:30 am   Permalink

Mahalo everyone!

Mike - I can't wait to see you at Oasis! Sadly, I am still an epic lightweight when it comes to Rum

Wendy - They creep me out too! They should look a lot less creepy when I give them their colorful glaze and put them in an elaborate frame.

Bear - Mahalo!

Added a final two faces to the lineup last night:

I found a cup of leftover rattle beads from the bone rattles hiding near the drying rack - so I believe I'll put them to use in a new rattle mug this evening.

Once again, Mahalo for peeking -
Henrik "VanTiki"

Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-01 3:57 pm   Permalink

Cool to see you back on the board Henrick!

The work is choice, as always...

I won't be posted up across from you at Oasis this year, but I'll be hanging out at the VanTiki booth for sure!

hey TC, support damn fine art - BUY VANTIKI!!!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-01 5:23 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Babs!

It won't be the same not being able to gaze across the isle at you and your mugs!

VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-02 12:17 pm   Permalink

As promised - I shifted gears last night onto some new pieces. Oasis 11 demands varaiety!

While prepping my drying rack for tiles last week I found that I had a bunch of clay pellets left over from the Bone Rattle mugs. I felt that this was one of those Omens from the Kiln that is better to embrace rather than ignore, so I set about crafting 2 new Bone Rattle mugs. Last nights efforts were mainly on the mug foundations - nothing flashy, but I thought I'd share.

Here are the pellets neatly separated into 2 piles (one for each mug)

and here you see the base of the mug taking shape. I wrap the pellets in a paper towel to keep them from fusing to the mug wall while firing (the paper towel and tape vaporize during the firing). I'll poke some air/sound holes in the spheres as a last step - the shape is much stronger with a bubble of air trapped inside. Once I am done sculpting the mug on top of these sound chambers, and the clay has firmed up a bit, I'll add the holes.

I'll be doing the fun stuff tonight - more photos tomorrow!

Mahalo for peeking
Henrik "VanTiki"

tikigodz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-02 9:22 pm   Permalink

I Need to take a class, You are ssiicckk!!

View Profile of tikigodz Send a personal message to tikigodz  Email tikigodz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiedge

Posted: 2011-06-03 11:58 pm   Permalink

Thoe are cool pics of the mug rattlers and the construction of the rattle.

And that pitcher is GREAT!! One day I hope to see some of your work in person.

Cheers,

View Profile of tikiedge Send a personal message to tikiedge      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-04 9:11 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Tikigodz and Tikiedge!

Today was an Epic Studio Day - finished the Bone Rattle 2.0 sculpts, glazed a slew of tiki tiles with dangerously experimental techniques, and loaded the kiln for a firing at the crack of dawn tomorrow. I am spent! But enough whining - on to the photos!

Here you see the gestation of Mug A (a.k.a. Mr. Skinny Top):

And here Mug B (a.k.a. Mr. Wide Top):

And here are the finished sculptures!

so happy with the way they turned out. I'm off for a HUGE business trip on monday, so they will spend the next few weeks wrapped in plastic enjoying a nice slow drying out period. Hopefully no cracks!

Mahalo for peeking -
Henrik "VanTiki"

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation