FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts VanTiki Mugs: Octopus Time Lapse
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
VanTiki Mugs: Octopus Time Lapse
TikiKIrby
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-11-27 7:55 pm   Permalink

Wow, fantastic job on the glaze!!! Now that's a mug... I'm just learning about glazes, and brother I have a WHOLE new respect for that and for what you do, crazy complicated!!!!

View Profile of TikiKIrby Send a personal message to TikiKIrby  Email TikiKIrby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZeroTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-28 09:41 am   Permalink

Amazing work yet again!

View Profile of ZeroTiki Send a personal message to ZeroTiki  Email ZeroTiki Goto the website of ZeroTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikifan1
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-28 09:53 am   Permalink

Those are some groovy rattlers. Love the awesomeness.

View Profile of Tikifan1 Send a personal message to Tikifan1  Email Tikifan1     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-28 7:04 pm   Permalink

Mahalo everyone!

The glaze on the rattles was applied in a fingernail-biting series of two glaze firings - the first at cone 010 and the second at cone 6. Soooooooo relieved that both mugs made it through crack-free!

Aloha -
Henrik

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-31 1:37 pm   Permalink

OMG - Tiki Oasis 11 is getting dangerously close!

With that cold-sweat inducing mantra, I'll be working away in the studio every night for a spell to craft a bevy of goodies to take with me in August. I'll share the creation here as things unfold.

First off - as you may have noticed I've been rather anti-prolific this year. Truth be told, my computer illustration work got extremely busy, leaving little time for mugs. Now that I've got a hard and fast deadline to focus on, I'm hoping to finally get my ever-growing pile if idea sketches turned into ceramic reality.

I'm planning a variety of pieces for Oasis - and the first to take shape are a new assortment of Framed Faces. What are Framed Faces? Here is a refresher:

http://www.vantiki.com/VanTiki/Framed_Face_1.html

I had a blast making these last year, and as I still have some neat frames left over, I decided it was time to fill them with faces. I printed out some profoundly moving reference poses and set up my workspace:

First fellow ready for drying. Note the holes thru the lips for lashing after glazing and firing.

Next guy taking shape. I like to do these in both portrait and landscape orientation. They are meant to plug into a 4x6 frame opening - but I usually have to modify the fame a bit to account for uneven shrinking. Yellow porcelain eye, white porcelain teeth

#2 ready to dry!

And a third fellow joins the party!

I hope to do two more of these guys, then move onto other pieces. Mahalo for peeking - and I hope to see you all at Tiki Oasis!

Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-31 1:47 pm   Permalink

VanTiki? I think I remember that guy

Henrik's coming back to OASIS!!!! You been spending the last year building up a resistance to rum so you'd be ready to party? Hope to see you there, love the tiles.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-31 2:23 pm   Permalink

WOW, THEY MUST BE REALLY GOOD BECAUSE I'M ALL CREEPED OUT! WENDY

PS SEE YOU AT OASIS

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-31 3:18 pm   Permalink

Love the concept. Very exotic primitive look to them. Excellent work.

Bear

View Profile of Bruddah Bear Send a personal message to Bruddah Bear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-01 10:30 am   Permalink

Mahalo everyone!

Mike - I can't wait to see you at Oasis! Sadly, I am still an epic lightweight when it comes to Rum

Wendy - They creep me out too! They should look a lot less creepy when I give them their colorful glaze and put them in an elaborate frame.

Bear - Mahalo!

Added a final two faces to the lineup last night:

I found a cup of leftover rattle beads from the bone rattles hiding near the drying rack - so I believe I'll put them to use in a new rattle mug this evening.

Once again, Mahalo for peeking -
Henrik "VanTiki"

Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-01 3:57 pm   Permalink

Cool to see you back on the board Henrick!

The work is choice, as always...

I won't be posted up across from you at Oasis this year, but I'll be hanging out at the VanTiki booth for sure!

hey TC, support damn fine art - BUY VANTIKI!!!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-01 5:23 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Babs!

It won't be the same not being able to gaze across the isle at you and your mugs!

VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-02 12:17 pm   Permalink

As promised - I shifted gears last night onto some new pieces. Oasis 11 demands varaiety!

While prepping my drying rack for tiles last week I found that I had a bunch of clay pellets left over from the Bone Rattle mugs. I felt that this was one of those Omens from the Kiln that is better to embrace rather than ignore, so I set about crafting 2 new Bone Rattle mugs. Last nights efforts were mainly on the mug foundations - nothing flashy, but I thought I'd share.

Here are the pellets neatly separated into 2 piles (one for each mug)

and here you see the base of the mug taking shape. I wrap the pellets in a paper towel to keep them from fusing to the mug wall while firing (the paper towel and tape vaporize during the firing). I'll poke some air/sound holes in the spheres as a last step - the shape is much stronger with a bubble of air trapped inside. Once I am done sculpting the mug on top of these sound chambers, and the clay has firmed up a bit, I'll add the holes.

I'll be doing the fun stuff tonight - more photos tomorrow!

Mahalo for peeking
Henrik "VanTiki"

tikigodz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-02 9:22 pm   Permalink

I Need to take a class, You are ssiicckk!!

View Profile of tikigodz Send a personal message to tikigodz  Email tikigodz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiedge

Posted: 2011-06-03 11:58 pm   Permalink

Thoe are cool pics of the mug rattlers and the construction of the rattle.

And that pitcher is GREAT!! One day I hope to see some of your work in person.

Cheers,

View Profile of tikiedge Send a personal message to tikiedge      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-04 9:11 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Tikigodz and Tikiedge!

Today was an Epic Studio Day - finished the Bone Rattle 2.0 sculpts, glazed a slew of tiki tiles with dangerously experimental techniques, and loaded the kiln for a firing at the crack of dawn tomorrow. I am spent! But enough whining - on to the photos!

Here you see the gestation of Mug A (a.k.a. Mr. Skinny Top):

And here Mug B (a.k.a. Mr. Wide Top):

And here are the finished sculptures!

so happy with the way they turned out. I'm off for a HUGE business trip on monday, so they will spend the next few weeks wrapped in plastic enjoying a nice slow drying out period. Hopefully no cracks!

Mahalo for peeking -
Henrik "VanTiki"

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation