FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts VanTiki Mugs: Octopus Time Lapse
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
VanTiki Mugs: Octopus Time Lapse
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-22 3:29 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Bear!

I wanna do a full size one for my office!

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-23 07:29 am   Permalink

Very cool idea Henrik and great execution, can't wait to see them finished. I like the way you made the rounded ends, I wouldn't have thought of that. Are those extruded hollow cylinders?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-24 11:10 am   Permalink

Mahalo Mike! They are indeed extruded cylinders - at a whopping 1" thick! I planned on carving away quite a bit - and I wanted the mugs to "feel" like cannons - so I went crazy with the thickness. Hopefully it won't bite me in the okole!

Pressed a bunch of pendants for Oasis yesterday, and will press a bunch more today:

Oasis is getting so darn close - I'm FREAKING OUT
Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-07-24 11:21 am   Permalink

GROG looking forward to seeing you and your art at Oasis.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-28 8:50 pm   Permalink

Amazing how fast you can make them with the press mold, my slip mold pendants take forever. I can only do 2 or three a day.
I got to try a press mold, thanks for sharing the process!

I'll miss seeing your amazing ceramics at Oasis this year, so thanks for posting!

Follow me on Instagram @TikiRob
www.instagram.com/TikiRob
Maui Tiki Mugs & Tours www.mauitikitours.com
Maui Web Design www.tradewindgraphics.com

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZeroTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-30 10:27 pm   Permalink

Can't wait to see these in person...I am particularly drawn to the octopoid I see there....

View Profile of ZeroTiki Send a personal message to ZeroTiki  Email ZeroTiki Goto the website of ZeroTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-01 10:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-07-28 20:50, MauiTiki wrote:
Amazing how fast you can make them with the press mold, my slip mold pendants take forever. I can only do 2 or three a day.

They do still take some time - but nowhere near 3 a day! The key to getting a good amount done is having A LOT of molds to press . I was able to pull 3 molds off of each new pendant sculpture - and I may pull a couple more after Oasis.

Henrik "VanTiki"

Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-01 7:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

The cool thing is, once they are set up in their wooden cradles, you simply aim the cannon at the sky, fill with rum, and insert straw!

Wow, awesome idea Henrik! I can't wait to see these pieces finished. It will be fun to rub elbows at Oasis again this year See ya in a few weeks.

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-02 12:20 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Babalu! I'd say there is a 50% chance of the bowchasers making an appearance at Oasis. They are wicked thick - and drying has been taking a while. I threw caution to the wind and loaded them in the kiln this morning, and I'm currently candling them for three hours before taking them veeeeery slowly to a bisque cone 05. Hope they don't crack or (worse) blow up! Secondly, I still gotta make the wood cradles! So much to do - so little time. How can it possibly be a year since last Oasis?!

Henrik "VanTiki"

VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-05 6:40 pm   Permalink

Quick Oasis update:

Pendants - looking good! Just pulled them out of the kiln and am really happy with them. Wanna eat them up like cookies! I believe we are looking at 15$ for 1 color, and 20$ for two color pendants (includes leather cord - fancy!)

Bowchaser cannon mugs - did not crack! Glazing them tonight, and will fire tomorrow. Also starting on their wood cradles tomorrow

Bone Rattle mugs - noticed a bit of a crack after the glaze firing on the mugs' interiors, and was not too thrilled with the glaze. Going to kick them back for another firing. Cross your fingers, everyone!

Framed Faces - have frames for two of them, ordered three more awesome frames today. Should have them within the week. HB - if you are reading this, I'll have a price and measurements to you this weekend (I promise!)

Tiles - All are bisqued, and will be glazing them tonight for tomorrow's firing. Got a new blue glaze that looks great! Special price for my Oasis ohana: $25 each.

More? - Yes! Will also have 2 trepanning accident skulls at the booth.

Even More - Heck Yes! Babalu has been kind enough to scour up some clay for me, and I will be sculpting demo mugs in the VanTiki Artist's Alley booth Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. See the clay move - in startling 3D! Whoo!

cdtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-06 07:18 am   Permalink

Looking forward to seeing you and Denise again this year.
Awesome work as usual. You need a gallery showing on the mainland.
Can't wait to see what you've got hiding up your sleeve.
Dig those pendants but the framed face would go great next to my zombie mug. Hmmmmm

View Profile of cdtiki Send a personal message to cdtiki  Email cdtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-10 12:27 pm   Permalink

How Embarrassing! The new Bone rattle mugs sadly can't hold their liquor too well. I was unfortunately unable to repair a small crack that developed on the inside of both mugs, and after the final firing they sound great when you shake em' - but they sloooooooly leak out whatever fluid you fill them with. Sigh.... what do with them? Perhaps I'll offer them at a discount at Oasis

here they are slowly failing their sobriety test (I fill my mugs to the brim with water to check for any leaks - after about an hour, the H2O had dropped about a centimeter on both mugs):

Mahalo for peeking!
Henrik "VanTiki"

Fiji Mermaid
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-08-10 12:52 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2011-08-10 12:27, VanTiki wrote:
here they are slowly failing their sobriety test (I fill my mugs to the brim with water to check for any leaks - after about an hour, the H2O had dropped about a centimeter on both mugs):

Ha! like I'm not drinking faster than THAT?!

View Profile of Fiji Mermaid Send a personal message to Fiji Mermaid  Goto the website of Fiji Mermaid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-08-10 1:30 pm   Permalink

I'm with the mermaid - anyone who can't drink faster than that doesn't deserve a mug! A centimeter per hour, we get that much evaporation here in the desert

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-10 8:42 pm   Permalink

You can't sell mugs with leaks! Send them to me, I'll take good care of them.

Follow me on Instagram @TikiRob
www.instagram.com/TikiRob
Maui Tiki Mugs & Tours www.mauitikitours.com
Maui Web Design www.tradewindgraphics.com

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation