FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » VanTiki Mugs: New mugs - Hot Damn! 4-7
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
VanTiki Mugs: New mugs - Hot Damn! 4-7
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-07 6:54 pm   Permalink

Awesome, as usual Henrik, i'm just wondering how you'll fill the mug with the skin over it. Will it be removable so you can fill it with ice? As for what type of material to use i have no idea. Something washable would obviously be the best choice.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-07 7:05 pm   Permalink

Swizzle - I put a spout/straw hole on the back to aid in filling/sipping. I didn't consider getting ice in there until you mentioned it! Dilemma! I agree with the washable preference - that is why I was leaning towards the silicone swim cap material. I may end up forgoing the drum aspect all together and leaving the top open. So hard to decide! I suppose I'm counting my mugs before they are fired - I should really focus on final detailing, a safe and slow drying, and then a successful firing

[ This Message was edited by: VanTiki 2011-11-07 19:09 ]

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-07 8:30 pm   Permalink

Van - how about a small, custom sized tambourine that would snuggly slip over the mug as a lid. This was a project I had considered but just never got the cajones to try it You could still use an hide drum head because it would be removed to be washed. You could put some sort of clear sealant on the bottom of the skin to protect against any incidental contact, but the open design at the rim of the mug prevents overfilling so that's not such a problem. HAVE FUN!!!

PS - did we ever see the finished cannon mugs?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-08 12:04 am   Permalink

MadDogMikes idea seems like an option. A thought that i had is quite similar although looking back at the mug now you might have a problem at the front where the eyebrows are. I'm thinking if you carve a groove/channel around the top about 1cm down which would would be deep enough to allow the thickness of a silicone swim cap and a rubber seal to fit and hold it tight. (The rubber seal is black and used to make things air/water tight. We call them O-Rings here, not sure if you guys use the same name ).
The way i see it, although you would have to do it every time you made a drink it would at least be easy to put on/remove the drum skin. You'd just need to make a groove somewhere, maybe one on each side, that allows you to get your fingertips into to pry off the O-Ring.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-08 12:15 am   Permalink

How about a Tupperware lid

Swizz, we call them o-rings too)

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-08 11:41 am   Permalink

Excellent ideas!

I think I am going to use a bit of all of them! I believe I'll set this current mug up as a mug only - think of it as an abandoned drum that has been converted into a mug. I have a second drum mug roughed out that is taller than this one (it will be shark-themed). I'll make the top hoop removable so it can be played like a tambourine (great idea, Mike!). I really like the o-ring idea - but I think it may be too much of a hassle to do every time you want to re-fill your mug, and they don't last very long (at least not out here).

This is why I love Tiki Central!
Henrik

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-08 1:55 pm   Permalink

To carry out the shark theme, you could use shark skin or shagreen for the drum head. You should be able to find some there. You'd have to be careful of the texture, I hear it can be rough.

VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-08 3:38 pm   Permalink

Mike - you read my mind with the sharkskin! I may use ray skin. It has a fantastic pebbled texture - in Kendo and iado they use it for sword grips and body armor (though called "same" or "shark" skin, It is in fact the skin from rays. Going to have to do some research on what would work best.

Ms. VanTiki came up with a very elegant solution for Drum #1 that uses your suggestions in a way that my narrow focused brain hadn't considered. Going to sneak into the studio in a couple of house and make it happen!

Mahalo!
Henrik "VanTiki"

Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-08 5:32 pm   Permalink

I am officially convinced that you are out of your mind. In a good way.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-09 10:09 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-11-08 17:32, Matt Reese wrote:
I am officially convinced that you are out of your mind. In a good way.

A little bit of crazy never hurt anyone. Well. Maybe it did.

Drum mug has hat! Ms. VanTiki said to use Mike's great idea of the removable drum top by making an extension for Drum Mug #1 - worked like a charm! now the long slow drying process begins.

This is the Laguna buff sculpture clay. WHile it is fantastic for making big self-supporting forms, it is SUPER groggy and chock full of sand. I'm going to have to do a very careful clean up of the sculpt once it dries a bit to knock down all the grog chunks™

Mahalo for the great ideas everyone!
Henrik "VanTiki"

tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-09 11:42 am   Permalink

Always amazed with the insane creativity of your works. This latest drum one is just so incredible. What is the largest piece you have attempted to make so far? It looks like they keep getting bigger and sturdier as you progress...pretty soon you will be making a tiki keg (for rum of course).

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-10 7:48 pm   Permalink

VAN,
It was great to meet you at Oasis, your work is amazing...

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-07 8:17 pm   Permalink

http://www.vantiki.com/VanTiki/Movies.html

I just watched all four videos and enjoyed every second. Super fun step by steps. Thank you for the show, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-08 09:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-11-09 11:42, tigertail777 wrote:
Always amazed with the insane creativity of your works.

Absolutely! The craftsmanship and vision in your work is outstanding, your style is unique and singular. And because Van Tiki mugs have a big following and are snapped for the big bucks such handmade art deserves, I feel secure that it will do no harm to ask that question that comes up for me again and again when I see a piece such as the drum above:

Where is that "Tiki"? It is skillful and creative, indeed. But as genre, it is "fantasy sculpture", "rock monster", Marvel's "The Thing", a combination of sculpture such as this

...and this

It's not Polynesian pop, it's polyresin pop. Big teeth and frowning faces alone do not make a Tiki. There is a form language in Tiki art, new and old, that draws from three elements: original Oceanic Art, 20th century modern art, and -YES-, cartoons. Of the three, the vast field of Oceanic art is the essential element to separate Tiki Style form the genres I mention above. Again, I am NOT talking about slavish copying of authentic or mid-century pieces, but if there is no spark of the initial culture it is supposed to represent left, why would it be labeled with that title?

I am sorry I have to repeat myself, but I am here to present a differentiated, informed view of the art form of American Tiki style, and it seems to me that it is necessary to remind folks of what it is all about from time to time.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Professor G
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-08 11:42 am   Permalink

Isn't this always the question between scholars and artists? Scholars (archeologists, curators, catalogers) tend to want to set boundaries and definitions against which artists desire to push. The good stuff is invariably a result of this conflict*. I have high hopes that BigBro's question will lead to a tasteful discussion between an accomplished scholar and a skilled sculptor on an interesting topic.

*And the other conflict, which is getting the danged wood, clay, paint, shellfish, words, or whatever your medium is, to do what you want it to do.

[ This Message was edited by: Professor G 2012-02-08 12:53 ]

View Profile of Professor G Send a personal message to Professor G  Goto the website of Professor G     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation