FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts VanTiki Mugs: New mugs - Hot Damn! 4-7
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
VanTiki Mugs: New mugs - Hot Damn! 4-7
KokoKele
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-09 7:45 pm   Permalink

Geez! Dude beats me up for liking something . . .
Anyway, awesome mug! I've been a fan for a long time, Mr. VanTiki. Long may you sculpt!

View Profile of KokoKele Send a personal message to KokoKele      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Badd Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-10 3:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-02-08 09:46, bigbrotiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-11-09 11:42, tigertail777 wrote:
Always amazed with the insane creativity of your works.

Absolutely! The craftsmanship and vision in your work is outstanding, your style is unique and singular. And because Van Tiki mugs have a big following and are snapped for the big bucks such handmade art deserves, I feel secure that it will do no harm to ask that question that comes up for me again and again when I see a piece such as the drum above:

Where is that "Tiki"? It is skillful and creative, indeed. But as genre, it is "fantasy sculpture", "rock monster", Marvel's "The Thing", a combination of sculpture such as this

It's not Polynesian pop, it's polyresin pop. Big teeth and frowning faces alone do not make a Tiki. There is a form language in Tiki art, new and old, that draws from three elements: original Oceanic Art, 20th century modern art, and -YES-, cartoons. Of the three, the vast field of Oceanic art is the essential element to separate Tiki Style form the genres I mention above. Again, I am NOT talking about slavish copying of authentic or mid-century pieces, but if there is no spark of the initial culture it is supposed to represent left, why would it be labeled with that title?

I am sorry I have to repeat myself, but I am here to present a differentiated, informed view of the art form of American Tiki style, and it seems to me that it is necessary to remind folks of what it is all about from time to time.

But isn't ALL American Tiki this? Whether it's a copy or authentic tiki or wild and creative new styles, it's all 'fake'.

Real tiki was simply a few carvings of The God's. It was done for the purpose of paying respects to those God's. So it was all meticulous copies of the same stuff.
Once it become 'pop culture' I think that was pretty much lost. Does anyone here carve tiki as a religous symbol?

You can put a spin on any art style, and if it's roots are still there that will be noticed.

While Van Tiki's mugs have strayed pretty far from 'original tiki' they still maintain a very strong impression of the tiki God's. I don't think you could look at any of these mugs and mistake them for something else.
Where as the pics of the skull and elephant you showed could never be mistaken as having tiki/Pacific influence.

View Profile of Badd Tiki Send a personal message to Badd Tiki  Goto the website of Badd Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KokoKele
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-10 5:02 pm   Permalink

Edited out of respect for Henrik and Sven

[ This Message was edited by: KokoKele 2012-02-11 13:38 ]

View Profile of KokoKele Send a personal message to KokoKele      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-10 6:42 pm   Permalink

I am not being haughty and snobbish. But: "If enough people agree something is Tiki, it's Tiki."? How am I supposed to react to something like that? That's just childish, sorry. Does anybody here consider the possibility that I know what I am talking about when I critique Tiki art? That I am NOT fat-headed simply because I wrote two 600 image-containing books defining the genre, and 9500 posts on TC, but that I have an informed opinion about it, based on 20 years of looking at American Tiki culture. And that because of that, I worry about the essence of the art form being so diluted that it is becoming something else? But no, critique is arrogance, we just wanna be happy partiers and go Tiki shopping. Carry on, folks.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bruddah Bear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-10 6:43 pm   Permalink

Hey, New Guy,

Do you have any clue as to exactly WHO you are arguing with and throwing backhanded insults at? He is probably the reason you know as much about the genre of Tiki to begin with.

Just so you're clear...

Yep, THE guy who did tons of research and condensed it all into several understandable tomes to educate the rest of us. I've said before that he figured out a way to nail jello to a wall and define the fuzzy boundaries of Tiki. He knows what he's talking about.

Sorry about the rant, Henrik.

Bear

View Profile of Bruddah Bear Send a personal message to Bruddah Bear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-10 7:36 pm   Permalink

So Kokokele,
The issue is you are new to posting here. You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but you can't insult someone we hold in High regard. You can disagree,you can ignore advice or opinions but you can't be rude. This is a family of people who love Tiki, Hawaiiana, Polynesian art, Modern and yes Kitchy lamps...... do not come to our house and be disrespectful.

I will also say this. As with all art it is subject to the eye of the beholder and with all art if you like it, buy it, BUT Art that will last,that will inspire future generations, that Will appeal to purists,keep Tiki Alive longer then a plastic parrot should be genuine, should follow the rules. (by the way, I have a plastic Parrot but don't consider it Tiki)

Sven is a purest of original and of the pioneers that we try to emulate and follow today. Purists have the hard job of keeping the style alive and making sure the rest of respect the past, learn from it and carry forward.

Even those of us who follow the Vintage Tiki look.... look to Sven when we do projects, vintage recipes, art. Sven is the man who brought tiki back with his books. He reminded us how cool Tiki is and was. I won't say I always agree, but when we need the right answer we call Sven.

Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-11 12:12 am   Permalink

Aloha folks -

I do appreciate this debate - but I'd like to ask again that we move it to the thread I mentioned earlier where it belongs. I'll post some new work next week to get things back on topic: creating tiki!

Mahalo,
Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KokoKele
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-11 12:34 am   Permalink

I've been arguing with Sven? My most humble apologies! You da man, that's for sure! Sorry! Rookie mistake!

I still like the mug, though!

Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-11 01:59 am   Permalink

If I can say what I take from Sven's points, (which I am in agreement on (Please correct me Sven, If need be)
You have Mid-Century Tiki i.e. Classic Tiki, This is pretty much set in stone, you can not reinterpret it and still call it Tiki
in that context

Then you have the "Tiki Revival" or as Sven calls it "Tiki Style" which I like to call "Neo Tiki"
here is where we have lots of room for reinterpretation, melding of modern & outside pop culture influences

Just don't call it Tiki, because its not and because enough people might like to change the definition
unless you have a Time Machine, it is not going to happen.

But it does fit in with Tiki Style, Neo Tiki or what ever you would like to call it, just not "Tiki"
because you are now referring to "Classic Tiki" of the 40s, 50s & 60s.

If I can speak for Sven here, I believe this is the point that( In doing so, keeps us on track) he needs to remind us of.

VanTiki your work is the Bees Knees! by the way and a

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-11 10:12 am   Permalink

Vantiki I think you should just post your work on everyone else's thread--I would love if every thread had a photo of one of your pieces of art. Too bad you respect people more than they respect you---how rude to ignore VanTIki's request to debate the same topic to death OUTSIDE of his artwork thread. Have some respect already people.

Anyways BACK TO VANTIKI'S ART ....

Are you making new swizzle designs any time soon? Or more of the ones you have already created? I keep checking the Etsy shop but don't see any so thought I would ask.

[ This Message was edited by: SandraDee 2012-02-11 10:16 ]

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KokoKele
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-11 10:38 am   Permalink

Back to VanTiki's art, indeed! SO SORRY for the stir!

If I may post a simple appreciation of not only this work but ALL VanTiki work, I'd like to thank you not only for sharing your pieces both finished and in progress but for the delightful amount of creativity you put into creating backstories for most of your works. They are most entertaining and do a wonderful job of adding to the sense of the exotic that exists in all your art.

One of the things that really draws me to a VanTiki creation is the use of texture. I'm sure it's been said by many, but your transformation of clay into wood, stone and organic textures is danged near alchemic. Unfortunately the same thing that makes you able to create such elaborate textures is the same thing that makes it so hard to own one of your masterpieces: they are usually one-offs! I really appreciate all the time you take to catalog and display each piece to the community, because I know it's unlikely that I'll have one on my shelf soon. Most generous, sir! I think it exemplifies the generosity of all the artistis on this site.

Sorry again for the kerfluffle.

Aloha!

Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-11 1:52 pm   Permalink

Edit: Sorry I moved it to that other thread.

[ This Message was edited by: Chuck Tatum is Tiki 2012-02-11 13:53 ]

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-11 4:03 pm   Permalink

While not classic Tiki-style, it did evoke TIKI for me. I also agree with the "rock monster" aesthetic that the Bigbro pointed out.

It's like Jack "The King" Kirby leaving his NYC Marvel Comics office during the 1960's for drinks at the Hawaii Kai and being inspired by his Tiki mug...

One "rock" begets another ?

Pretty trippy stuff. It also vibed some of Kirby's "cosmic" work...

BTW, the Kirby comparison is a compliment !!

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2012-02-11 16:17 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-14 9:45 pm   Permalink

Mahalo to you all for the kind words, encouragement, and (most importantly) your passion for tiki. Now - onto making stuff!

As you may recall, I did a few cannon mugs before oasis. My concept for the pieces is that the natives of VanTiki island salvaged them from a shipwreck, and re-forged them in fire into terrible gods of war (and rum drinking). I made a cradle for the cannon out of oak - but was not to happy with the first attempt. I've re-designed the cradles, and have come up with what will hopefully be a nifty way of lashing the cannons into either a "firing" or "drinking" position. My question is this:

I'm making the new bases out of redwood. I'm no carver - but I do enjoy working with wood on occasion. Now - I see many a wonderfully weathered and torched piece of redwood in TC. I'm thinking "Witco-esque" How do you get a carving to that state? I'm thinking sandblasting and a light pass with a torch. I have a torch - but no sandblaster. WOuld a brush wire brushing do the same thing? Perhaps with a stiff wire brush - followed by a softer stiff nylon brush? Help me, TC wood folk!

Mahalo,
Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-02-14 10:17 pm   Permalink

Henrik, hopefully one of the experts will chime in. In the meantime, experiment with torching the wood fairly heavily first, then brushing the charred wood away with a wire brush. You can hit it lightly with the torch to bring back some of the dark coloration.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation