FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Fire in house...Bar RE-OPENING is Scheduled!! New pics 9/28
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Fire in house...Bar RE-OPENING is Scheduled!! New pics 9/28
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-28 05:38 am   Permalink

Oh wow. Looking at the pictures of your home bar is just heartbreaking thinking about what it must look like now. I don't have any advice to give, but just wanted to offer my sympathies. I'm very glad to hear nobody was hurt. How did the fire start? I'm sure we could all stand to learn from those who have lived through a fire as to how to prevent them from happening in the first place.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-28 09:21 am   Permalink

Dude, I'm so, so sorry. I hadn't planned on posting on TC about this, only informing TC Ohana who'd be directly effected, but I'm actually going through the same type of thing right now. Several weeks ago I had a fire in my business, which is now closed while our private Adjusting Service and Insurance Co duke it out in an attempt to alternately maximize or minimize our benefits. We can't do a thing till they're finished. Huge bummer. Pretty much a total loss. We were in the middle of a remodel too, building a nifty in store a-frame and tiki grotto to display bar ware, island carvings, books, artwork and tiki specialty goodies. After almost a decade I'd finally committed funds to doing it right and housing it all in an atmosphere reflecting my love for the culture. Fortunately the guy helping with my build-out surfs and snowboards more than he builds or we'd have to tare down the entire completed project. As it is, everything we'd finished will have to be torn out including all thatch, reed, wall coverings and the new bamboo shelving built to display a huge selection of tiki mugs(now also covered in smoke and debris). Good news: I called Holden at Tiki Farm and he insists all properly glazed ceramics should be easily washed, good as new. Bad news: All soft goods that can't fit in the washing machine are history so I'd resign myself to replacing anything fabric in your home too including the carpet. I've also been told that even glass and metal will pit if soot isn't removed quickly. It's amazing how that smoke got everywhere. Thousands of dollars worth of premium cigars in a humidor I believed to be airtight are covered with a dirty film. So are files, catalogs and paperwork in well-sealed filing cabinets (and I don't even want to think about my 750+ CD's and sound system). The day after the fire I managed to pull a few large Tikis and a 500lb unvarnished cigar store Indian all of which were thoroughly washed with soap, water and lemon oil. They're at my house now and don't smell at all. The salvage and clean up crew will eventually remove and cleanse any large objects, wash all interior surfaces, apply a few coats of "Killz" and let us move back in to begin a slow rebuilding process. My thoughts are with you and I hope you can see through the soot to re-imagine your home and bar better that ever and never forget all the good times you had in your old bar PF (Pre-Fire). - HodadHank

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-28 09:31 am   Permalink

Thanks for the well wishes and advice everyone!

We're still living in a hotel a few miles from our house, but we're hopefull that we'll be able to move back in by this weekend (we'll see)

The cleaning company is indeed cleaning EVERYTHING. All walls & ceiling in every room...took everything out of every cupboard and washed it...and the upstairs is starting to come back together slowly but surely.

Also, the insurance company had a dry cleaner come and they took everything that was made of cloth out of the house. Curtains, all our clothes (I mean everything...stuff in closets, drawers, in storage boxes, etc).

There's alot of stuff that is gonna have to be trashed, unfortunately.

The game room got it pretty bad...the pinball machines and MAME cabinet are pretty screwed.

As far as the bar...only one fatallity so far! One of the tiki figures from the Enchanted Tiki Room Big Fig got smashed. (Anyone know if you can buy just a replacement tiki for that set?)

It looks like the majority of the mugs can be saved. The prints are questionable....and unfortunately, it looks like all the bamboo, weave, grass, etc all has to go.

I'm hoping that I can get a General COntractor in there soon, before we rip out the bar, and maybe he can rebuild it? The GC already has his work cut out for him, and woking with bamboo might be a nice change of pace.

Now, if the insurance company would only pay to fly bamboo ben out for a few weeks!!

Anyway, Thanks again for the thoughts everyone. I'll try to get some pics off the camera in the next day or two.

ps. Johnman, thanks for the compliments...I dont know if it was the "coolest" bar in CT, but it was mine.

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-28 10:05 am   Permalink

Not the MAME machine! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-28 4:08 pm   Permalink

Guitar Hero no more? What are us cats supposed to do now?

View Profile of johnman Send a personal message to johnman  Goto the website of johnman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-29 05:57 am   Permalink

Could you polycoat the bamboo to seal in any smoky smell? Maybe a matte finish varnish?

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-29 08:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-29 05:57, freddiefreelance wrote:
Could you polycoat the bamboo to seal in any smoky smell? Maybe a matte finish varnish?

I'd thought of this myself but understand it would still need to be removed to do so. Since the smoke has permeated behind the surface Bargoyle would have coat both sides of every piece of bamboo.

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-29 1:08 pm   Permalink

Met with general contractor today. Alot more work needs to be done in the house than I though (I'm sure you found the same thing hodad...that damn soot gets in everything!)

Their basic take is that its pretty much unsavable. All the grass & matting has to come out and there's no way to save it at all (cant be sealed, cleaned...nothing).

I asked about sealing the bamboo and he didnt seem to think it would work. Not sure if its worth taking the risk...it might seem clean, and then the first hot, humid day we have and the whole house erupts in the stink of soot.

Basically, I've got three options as I see it.

1) We rip everything out, and I have them attempt to rebuild it, matching the way it exists now as close as possible (take tons of photos, etc) and perhaps change a few little things along the way(more permanent shelving etc.)

2) We rip everything out, and they give me a budgeted amount of $$, based on material expense and my man hours, and then I re-build it (again) the way I want it, and add improvements at my own expense (sink, bigger bar area, etc)

3) They rip everything out, they give me the cash to rebuild, and then I take the money and I blow it on fast cars, loose women, and the Craps table at Foxwoods....and the bar becomes just another boring old room...maybe a home office?

Now I know what you're thinking, but believe me, for the past few hours, #3 has been the frontrunner.

However, knowing myself as I do, I know option #1 or 2 will be the way I go.... oooooooooo...unless option 4 is like, get the money, fly Bamboo Ben out here, have him TOTALLY improve on my original design.

I'll keep everyone posted. Still have no way to get photos off the camera, but will post some pics in the next few days (I'll just buy a new usb cord).

Thanks again to everyone for their well-wishes and suggestions, and sorry you're going thru it too hodadhank...it sucks.

ps. I think tmrw begins mug cleaning!! whoohooo!

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-29 1:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-03-29 13:08, Bargoyle wrote:

3) They rip everything out, they give me the cash to rebuild, and then I take the money and I blow it on fast cars, loose women, and the Craps table at Foxwoods....and the bar becomes just another boring old room...maybe a home office?

Now I know what you're thinking, but believe me, for the past few hours, #3 has been the frontrunner.

My heart truly goes out to you. After my house got munched, I thought, "Screw it. I'm never buying anything ever again." That feeling only lasted a few days though.

Rebuilding should help you to regain your sense of normalcy.

Good luck.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigkahuna627
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-29 2:07 pm   Permalink

I just dug out the chemspec catalog. They have a whole line of smoke removal products. Try calling them 800-638-6188 Check out their Ultimat Odor Remover.

Wild Bill's Tiki Hut
http://stores.ebay.com/Wild-Bills-Tiki-Hut

View Profile of bigkahuna627 Send a personal message to bigkahuna627  Email bigkahuna627 Goto the website of bigkahuna627     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-29 4:25 pm   Permalink

I'd take the cash, gamble at Foxwoods and make it double $$$ (hard eight), then buy the fast TRUCK - to carry all the new pre-made Tiki stuff I can get - Like a Witco tiki bar and Witco chairs and shelving and slowly rebuild. Still have the area for a "Tiki Bar", but let it slowly build itself. And of course print and frame the old pictures to raise a glass to them!

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-01 7:59 pm   Permalink

Went to house again today. Its getting there. CLeaned most of the mugs & put em away in boxes...my whoel life is in boxes right now....or on a big tarp in the backyard waiting to be cataloged by the insurance adjuster.

Anyway, got some pics if anyone wants to see them. My advice to everyone is to have multiple smoke alarms in your house. ESPECIALLY one RIGHT OUTSIDE your bedroom door. We only had one...waaaaaaay up the hall from our bedroom. If it wasnt for the dog, we'd be dead right now.

So, here's the basement from last week...

All those wierd looking black "spider-webs" are smoke. Since it was mostly plastic that burned, it left those weird strings everywhere...plus tons of soot, and a horrible toxic stench.

Here's the laundry room (it was the flash point...had the most damage...the walls were white at one time)...

Here's a few of the bar. The mugs were filthy. The camera doesn't do it justice. To show you the layer of soot on everything, fist up is a shot if the table next to the couch. The white stripes and area where I moved the BOT are "clean". That crap is on everything!

Mugs

Once mugs were removed....

The puffer has seen better days...and the HuKeLau towel Pappy got me...well, that used to be white...

Shot of the basement from today...

More photos on the blog at
http://bargoyle.yafro.com/photos/2006/4/0

including some from bday party last month...happier times.

cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-01 9:21 pm   Permalink

DAMN!! Do you know what in the laundry room started the fire?

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-02 04:20 am   Permalink

My oldest brother went through a similar cleaning, when his oil heater malfunctioned/exploded, sending clouds of oil smoke throughout the house. I never did see pictures of his house when this happened, so your pics gives me idea of some of the work that was required to clean eveything up.

A year or two later, my brother's family experienced another mini-disaster, when his area received a monster amount of rain in a short period, causing Milwaukee's sewage system to backup - four feet into his basement. That one was harder to take, especially for his wife, as they lost all the photos/videos of their wedding and their kids growing up.

So..... even though it is a major pain, cleaning up after all this mess -- things could be worse! I'm glad to hear you and your family made it out safe.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-03 2:34 pm   Permalink

Thanks for posting the pics BG. Man that's just so surreal. I'm hoping you opt for option 1 or 2. If you need some labor just shout my way. I'm cheap - a few Mai Tai's and we're good.

View Profile of johnman Send a personal message to johnman  Goto the website of johnman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation