FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Clifton's Brookdale, Los Angeles, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Clifton's Brookdale, Los Angeles, CA (restaurant)
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-06 1:00 pm   Permalink

Name: Clifton's Brookdale
Type: restaurant
Street: 648 South Broadway
City: Los Angeles
State: CA
Zip: 90014
Phone: 213.627.1673

Description:
Clifton's Brookdale Cafeteria, Downtown Los Angeles

[ Edited by: Bora Boris - Updated name and status. - 2011-09-06 16:35 ]

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-06 1:02 pm   Permalink

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-06 1:39 pm   Permalink

Oh. My. God.

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2006-04-06 1:46 pm   Permalink

More info in the BOT and here:
http://www.cliftonscafeteria.com/pages/history_pacific_seas.html

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-04-06 2:49 pm   Permalink

Clifton's had/has a few locations and some of them are still open. The Pacific Seas is the tropical one that is no longer. Clifton's "Brookdale" is still around and although it is not tiki at all, I highly recommend checking it out. You won't believe your eyes!!
648 South Broadway, Los Angeles, California 90014
Telephone: 213.627.1673

Open 7 days a week - 6:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.

http://www.cliftonscafeteria.com/pages/brookdale_photos.html The pictures don't do it justice.

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-06 3:19 pm   Permalink

I heartily second that. It's worth braving downtown LA for (and you get to see some amazing old architecture along the way, too, including the numerous sad-but-lovely decaying movie palaces.) Clifton's is one of my favorite places on earth. It's magical...don't miss it!

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-06 7:37 pm   Permalink

A lot of the old and dying buildings are being converted to lofts, and condos. you should check it out you are in for a surprize.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-18 11:33 am   Permalink

Clifton's has been sold to a new owner and they are planning on adding a tiki bar

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2010/09/cliftons_sold_will_go_mor.php

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-18 11:52 am   Permalink

Hopefully they will retain the "forest" decor of the lower levels. The 3rd-level has a vague regency-style, my guess is that's where the Tiki bar will be. If they have to do this, I hope it's a homage to the Pacific Seas location.

I knew the business was struggling, it's better this than have the place disappear altogether. The renovation to Cole's was pretty tasteful but I miss its former dumpy historic charm and the loss of the back room. We did gain Varnish however. I suspect the new Clifton's will be along the same lines.

If anyone wants to experience Clifton's before its eventual closing (before the renovation), I'm planning a TC group lunch there on Oct 16th...

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=37666&forum=17&vpost=552033

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-18 5:34 pm   Permalink

"Clifton's sold, will go more hipster"

Great...Tiki Bars are considered "hipster"...just what we need...

While that probably works great up in San Francisco (San Francisco (Nor-Cal hipsters are less...."Hollywood") , LA hipsters are the worst kind.

Well, hopefully most of us middle-aged hawaiian shirt wearing geeks will help keep the Ed Hardy douchebag element away.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
scispy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-19 07:56 am   Permalink

I love tiki as much as the next person but I say NO to the tiki bar.
As far as I am concerned Clifton's needs to remain Clifton's.
As much as it kills me to say it- If it can't remain Clifton's then it needs to close.

My family has been going there forever. I never miss it when I am in CA.
It's The only place where you can sit and eat your mac n cheese next to a 90 year old white lady with pearls and gloves on on one side of you and a hobo with a trash bag for a purse on the other side. I remember getting all dolled up when I was a tiny girl and going shopping downtown with my grandma to Bullocks for her hats. Then to Mandels for shoes and off to Cliftons for a wonderful lunch. Such good memories.

I never trust these hipsters who buy landmarks.
If they were to buy it out and just close up Clifton's and make a niteclub there would be strong opposition. But if they buy it and say they will keep Clifton's and add a new venue upstairs to me it just means they will just keep Clifton's open for a year or two and then say it is losing too much money and will have to close. It is just a slow death for Clifton's. If it stays open I will be very suprised.....

View Profile of scispy Send a personal message to scispy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-19 8:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I never trust these hipsters who buy landmarks.

I hear that loud and clear. Thankfully I made it to Clifton's twice on my last few visits to LA. Once of my good friends is married to someone who was born and raised there and she had never visited Clifton's, so I was glad to be a non-resident of Los Angeles taking them there for their first visit. As far as how cool that place is goes beyond words. That little 'chapel' or should I say 'worship booth' on the second floor was beyond amazing.

When I was there I thought "they used to have stuff like this in New York, but no more. LA is way ahead of the game in pop-cultural preservation". Then I thought that sometime in the future I might eat those words, but there was still a chance that LA would come out the hero in preservation of this nature. I guess I was wrong. All I can say is the same thing I say when places like this go away: 'glad I was there when it was, really what it was'.

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-19 9:34 pm   Permalink

Guys, give the place a chance. If all Andrew Meieran wanted to do was open a "hipster" place, believe me there are cheaper locations in downtown to start from scratch. Why pay for a place that has Clifton's brand just to gut its unique history and decor?

I like the idea of an upstairs bar, it would be cool to hang out at Clifton's late into the night. I'm willing to sacrifice the 3rd-level if that's what will save the place. Plus would a Poly-Pop homage to Clifton's South Seas (which I'm assuming is what they mean by "Tiki") be such a horrible thing?

What's happening in Downtown is really exciting, especially when a historic thoroughfare like Broadway is inching back to it's 1930's glory. Yes sometimes the crowd can get too "Hollywood" or USC Fraternity Row but for the most part most of the new nightlife (other than LA Live) is leveraging on downtown's historic character rather than destroying it.

Not every situation is going to be a Beverly Hills Trader Vic's. Again even though I miss the dumpy charm of the old Coles PE Buffet, I think they did a pretty good job of injecting new life into the place while retaining its history. Plus have you tasted the cocktails at Varnish (located inside Cole's)? It's top notch mixology.

I remain optimistic and look forward to the "new" Clifton's.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-21 1:28 pm   Permalink

A little more encouraging news in this LA Times article ....

"Andrew respects the Clifford Clinton legacy that is very much a part of this business and he wants to respect our principles."

"It will fully be Clifton's as people know it," (Andrew) Meieran said. "What it's historically been will continue."

"Clifton's is designed around comfort food. That's where its strengths lie," he said. "I have no intention of changing that."

Meieran also plans to remove the metal facade attached to the front of the building in the 1960s and restore the former concrete-and-stucco exterior.

Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2010-09-21 1:38 pm   Permalink

Aside from the amazing themed decor, another great thing about Clifton's Brookdale is the "museum" on the third floor as well as all of the historical photos on the walls scattered throughout the place. I wonder what's going to happen to all that? It's like a giant Clifton's scrapbook. I would think that the new owner wouldn't be getting that stuff as he's not part of the Clifton family.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation