FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Clifton's Brookdale, Los Angeles, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Clifton's Brookdale, Los Angeles, CA (restaurant)
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-07 7:48 pm   Permalink

Time to hit downtown again, I know John-O was planning a stop there last week.
anyone else have a chance to check it out yet?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-08 08:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-10-07 19:48, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Time to hit downtown again, I know John-O was planning a stop there last week.
anyone else have a chance to check it out yet?

Katie and I are going tomorrow.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Below Decks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-08 09:13 am   Permalink

I took a lot of similar photos for my visits on Tuesday and Wednesday. Frankly, the food is pretty straightforward cafeteria food: carved turkey and beef stations, mashed potatoes and gravy, fried chicken, etc. Don't get me wrong, it's a large step (or two!) above the food that was served at the old Clifton's. (I used to joke that you have to shake the dust off the meat before eating.) But even as improved, it's still cafeteria food, and it's only so good, and only stays warm so long as you pay and eat immediately. Any delay and you're eating cold (previously warm) food. If you go knowing that, then just go and enjoy the incredible setting. And for sure take advantage of the great bar on the 2nd floor. The bartenders are very nice, and seem well trained. I think it gets a different crowd in the evenings, and I'm guessing the bar area would be much more crowded at night. They have put so much time, resources and effort into the renovations that I have to believe the tiki bar (supposed to open on Halloween) is also going to be incredible. Crossing my fingers. Enjoy.

View Profile of The Below Decks Send a personal message to The Below Decks  Goto the website of The Below Decks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-10-08 09:30 am   Permalink

That shell is way cool, what was it used for?
And really want one of those Clifton trays!

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-08 09:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-10-08 09:30, tikiskip wrote:
That shell is way cool, what was it used for?
And really want one of those Clifton trays!

It looks like a Tiki Farm clam shell bowl. They have made the other souvenir mugs that you can buy.
The trays look great! The lady that was first in line got a tray.
Not related, during college we would steal the cafeteria trays and use them to slide down snowy hillsides.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-08 11:51 am   Permalink

Let us know what you think of your visit, Lori

The old Cliftons food was nothing special, just standard cafeteria fare
so if the quality is better now (how about the prices?) I would not be disappointed
but I have much higher expectations for the more upscale restaurants opening soon.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-12 10:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-10-08 11:51, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Let us know what you think of your visit, Lori

The old Cliftons food was nothing special, just standard cafeteria fare
so if the quality is better now (how about the prices?) I would not be disappointed
but I have much higher expectations for the more upscale restaurants opening soon.

It was too damn hot on Friday, Saturday and Sunday to leave the air conditioning. I didn't make it to Clifton's. 106 in Long Beach, WTF?

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-12 12:06 pm   Permalink

Yes it was, damn hot.....spent Sunday afternoon at the Exhibition Room in a Tux
for a friends birthday party, Saturday vending at Don's (at least they had working air conditioners)
but Friday's 103 degrees at the beach , left all my edges melted & I don't think I am getting them back.

So the last place to be this weekend was downtown L.A., hooray for climate change!

The Below Decks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-20 1:47 pm   Permalink

Just returned from another lunch today (10/20/15) at Clifton's Brookdale. (That's the advantage to working in downtown LA. Of course, I've had to work downtown for over 20 years waiting for these advantages!) They have three mugs for sale. A Black Bear Mug, a Grizzly Bear Mug (which is a brown version of the Black Bear mug) and an owl mug. I got the owl mug this time, as you can see below.

Previously, I'd heard the 4th floor tiki bar will open Halloween. Saturday night I was told it would open in December. I saw on Yelp that someone got a preview of what it looks like and here's what they said: "Level Four: Tiki bar and tree top lounge. TIKI BAR in DTLA!!! Sold. Open in a few weeks, this is gonna be awesome. There's a huge 70 year old, larger than life wooden Tiki to welcome you in. Old school maps and trains adorn the entry. Then, the bar is cut in half literally by a hand-carved amazing speedboat! It's like we're straight in 70s Waikiki. Hawaiian shirts encouraged."

View Profile of The Below Decks Send a personal message to The Below Decks  Goto the website of The Below Decks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-27 1:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-10-20 13:47, The Below Decks wrote:
Just returned from another lunch today (10/20/15) at Clifton's Brookdale. (That's the advantage to working in downtown LA. Of course, I've had to work downtown for over 20 years waiting for these advantages!) They have three mugs for sale. A Black Bear Mug, a Grizzly Bear Mug (which is a brown version of the Black Bear mug) and an owl mug. I got the owl mug this time, as you can see below.

Previously, I'd heard the 4th floor tiki bar will open Halloween. Saturday night I was told it would open in December. I saw on Yelp that someone got a preview of what it looks like and here's what they said: "Level Four: Tiki bar and tree top lounge. TIKI BAR in DTLA!!! Sold. Open in a few weeks, this is gonna be awesome. There's a huge 70 year old, larger than life wooden Tiki to welcome you in. Old school maps and trains adorn the entry. Then, the bar is cut in half literally by a hand-carved amazing speedboat! It's like we're straight in 70s Waikiki. Hawaiian shirts encouraged."

I dig the owl, Below Decks. Looking forward to doing a Clifton's/La Luz gallery trip in November and hopefully picking one up for myself.
Cheers!

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Below Decks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-27 4:48 pm   Permalink

That sounds like a good plan. There are so many stops now in any downtown LA bar crawl that you would literally be crawling by the end of the night if you actually made it to, and drank in, each one. Clifton's, Cole's and Varnish, The Edison, Villain's Tavern, Seven Grand and Jackalope, Perch and Pattern. I'm getting thirsty(er) just thinking of them!

AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2015-10-28 06:09 am   Permalink

Nice pic of the owl mug and the cocktail. I'm very pleased that the interest in tiki continues to grow. There's so much revival tiki out there now that it seems to guarantee that today's generation will carry this another 50+ years into the future. Tiki is here to stay in our lifetimes.

Below Decks - I like your bar touring list, and will try to remember that list the next time I'm in LA. Might break it into two nights, though... I'd like to have that list paired with a "must have" cocktail (and a second one as well) for each venue. Then you could author a bar touring plan for LA, perhaps in another thread here.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Below Decks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-10-28 09:38 am   Permalink

I like the idea of planning a downtown LA bar tour. Many are walking distance from each other. It would be a fun night (or two)!

TongaT
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-10-30 6:39 pm   Permalink

Went to Clifton's today - Ate at the cafeteria first and everything was great that we had...fish and chips were perfect in my opinion and everything seemed extremely affordable. Downstairs they only had the Black Bear mug left.....maybe only because Halloween is tomorrow but it looks more like a black cat to me. Everybody was super friendly and the bussers were amazingly attentive. I was pretty impressed.

We walked through the bar as we looked around and the Bartender was super nice as well while we looked at the menu. We continued to look around the building and then went back in for a drink, unfortunately the bartenders had changed and the one we got was NOT friendly. We order the drink that comes in the owl and the drink that comes in the brown bear and when asked if we wanted it in the mug to take home we said yes. He made the drinks at we were paying attention to all the fun things in the bar, then our drinks were both served in Black Bears (no mention that he wasn't going to serve to what the menu says) when I asked if they were supposed to come in the brown bear and owl he was pretty disgusted with me and waved his arm to the back of the bar and said that's what I got.....I was so thrown I didn't point out that if he looked like 3 feet to the right there was 3 shelves of brown bears and a self of owls.

The drinks were good, however the root beer float that come in the bear was like a third of the way up the cup and mine filled like a 4th of the cup....not sure if he just hated us or if that's the saving size but it seemed a little short for 28.00 a piece. I would have been happy if he filled mine with ice and at least made it look full like tiki drinks usually are. The float seriously had like two teaspoons of ice cream....they both tasted great though.

We waited a bit and asked another bartender that came on about switching out the mugs and go them all straightened out. I also was able to ask a manager about the opening of the tiki bar and he said "months away" still a ton of work to do. I know that doesn't match what others have been told so I guess we will see.

I also thought it was funny that they were referring to the bear mugs as "tiki" mugs

On my way out another guest was yelling at the bartender "do you guys not work for tips" because they weren't getting great service either. Hopefully the bartenders will get up to par with all the other employees in the place at least on their guest service.

lets cross our fingers that the tiki bar is not really months away.

View Profile of TongaT Send a personal message to TongaT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cvcgolf
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-11-01 7:21 pm   Permalink

I was there on Halloween afternoon and it's a beautiful place.. There was a line out the door but it didn't take long to get in.. They politely asked us to wait in line whether we were eating or not.. Either way you needed to be in line just to get into the restaurant.. Once inside, you can remain in the line to eat or go off to site see or hit the bar upstairs.. We stayed in line for the food and it took about 15 minutes.. Food was fantastic!.. This was NOT cafeteria food to me.. The carving station was turkey, ham, roast beef or ribs.. The roast beef and turkey was as good as any high end restaurant.. The food was definitely not bland.. Desserts were also excellent.. The Monarch bar was great too.. I received good service.. My bartender had an English accent and whipped up a drink for me off the menu.. It was Appleton Estate with some sort of ginger simple syrup and lime.. It was very good.. The Gotham bar looked fantastic on the 3rd floor.. It was closed as they set up for the Halloween party but we were able to sneak in to snoop around and take pics.. We were told the tiki bar will be open Thanksgiving weekend.. Also a speakeasy in the basement will also be opened Thanksgiving (if all goes well).. In regards to the bars mentioned above.. Seven Grand was chosen as making the best mint julep in the city.. I'm no drink expert like yourselves but it was pretty damn good..

[ This Message was edited by: cvcgolf 2015-11-01 19:22 ]

View Profile of cvcgolf Send a personal message to cvcgolf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation