FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Denver Ohana-Happenings & Info
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
Denver Ohana-Happenings & Info
tiki-el
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-05-27 09:31 am   Permalink

thats what is feels like but i was just checking and seeing if it was worth a dam... but is not

View Profile of tiki-el Send a personal message to tiki-el  Email tiki-el     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Eleio the fleet
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-29 9:51 pm   Permalink

Aloha!

Just re-reading my recent post and was hoping that I didn't come off as terse to anyone. I know my words were strong, but they are pointed at the management of the establishment and nobody else.

Mahalo

View Profile of Eleio the fleet Send a personal message to Eleio the fleet      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-el
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-05-30 08:36 am   Permalink

I think your ok... but it had to be said... i'm ok with it

View Profile of tiki-el Send a personal message to tiki-el  Email tiki-el     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Outrigger Dave
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-05-30 11:06 am   Permalink

I was wondering about the Old Boyd's place. Now I know. Guess I will continue to spend my bucks at the Ol' Sky Chicken.

BTW, Did I actually name the luau or something like that? Just wondering.

View Profile of Outrigger Dave Send a personal message to Outrigger Dave      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-30 11:21 am   Permalink

Dave:

I meant to send you a personal message about your name idea. Just so you know I am definitely going with it so, thank you! I am getting into the nitty gritty of the planning phase for this Luau with the valued assistance of Zulu. For your information and everyone else as well ( Denver Ohana ), the date is set for Saturday June 24th from 4:00pm - 10:00pm ( Or whenever the torches burn out ) . I will send out more info as I have it.

Thanks to everyone for their ideas for the name of the event!

T.F.

View Profile of Tiki Fink Send a personal message to Tiki Fink  Email Tiki Fink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Dale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-31 08:59 am   Permalink

I, for one, can't say anything bad about the former tiki Boyds management....they were good to me, always nice, and lined my wallet nicely with the purchase of the Moai I carved for them. It did take some time to do it but it got done.
On the other hand, I feel tiki is something ya gotta understand, live and wonder about. Ya just can't put up a surf board, mix some drinks and call it done. Its takes real effort to do it right. And when its right, ya know it.
Best of luck to 'em I say. And best of luck to the next guy who knows what its all about.

-Happy Skull-ptures---

View Profile of Mr. Dale Send a personal message to Mr. Dale  Email Mr. Dale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-31 09:21 am   Permalink

Dale:

Your Moai is still there. Just sowz ya knowz. It is by far the best thing in the place. It would look better at my house though. lol

T.F.

View Profile of Tiki Fink Send a personal message to Tiki Fink  Email Tiki Fink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-el
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-01 07:19 am   Permalink

Boyds management was great the new place uh.... not so much

Eleio the fleet
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-01 08:11 am   Permalink

Aloha everyone.

Regarding my statement about Tiki Lounge (aka Tiki Boyd's). Just so you know, my comments weren't directed at the "Boyd's" portion of the bar. If anything, that group and one of the bar staff, were the people who had an idea of the concept and the willingness to implement it. To be polite, I'm not mentioning the name of the one individual (the general manager) whom I was referring to. Though the Boyd's people and that one bar employee have left, this person is still running the place.

I realize that some of you have had different experiences. This was just mine.

Mahalo!

View Profile of Eleio the fleet Send a personal message to Eleio the fleet      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-01 08:46 am   Permalink

I am going to say that Tiki Lounge is just another zit on the face of the Denver bar scene. On a related note, the place to likely have been the new Tiki Boyd's is another such blemish. Someone got their paws on what used to be a pretty elegant property and sheepishly turned The Lounge into a rathole of dubious necessity. Too bad. That place would have made for a very interesting Tiki Bar. Cool spaces, outside patio, the works. Sigh.

T.F.

Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-01 08:51 am   Permalink

But Hey......

On a positive note, construction has begun on the S.S. Ratfink (My Home Bar), and she'll be ready for a shakedown cruise by this weekend. By the time the Luau rolls around she'll be spit and polish and ready to sling some fine cocktails to the fine Denver Ohana!

T.F.

Eleio the fleet
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-01 09:12 am   Permalink

Aloha again!

On a completely different subject, I have some dear friends who have given in to my "Tiki tendencies" and have allowed me to design and host a very large party to celebrate two birthdays and a ten year anniversary. The reason I tell you this is twofold.

1. I'm in need of some help and expertise. I have the vision and some items for decor, but the location of the party (an old library that has been converted to a home) is very large and what I have, in addition to what I have the time and money to make, will certainly fall short of truly "tikifying" the place. Therefore, any decor items you may be willing to lend towards this endeavor, would be greatly appreciated. The party will be occurring on Saturday, July 1st and I can go into much more detail if there is interest.

2. With all the summer parties in the works, please add the date above to your calendars. In all, roughly 150+ guests are expected throughout the day and night and all the Denver Ohana is cordially invited! Since the guest list is so extensive and diverse (each friend and the couple have their own independent guest lists), it seems impolite to not invite the very people who have the best idea of the what the lifestyle is all about. I will warn you all that this will be the first Tiki experience for many of the guests and that your patience will also be appreciated. Though the daytime hours will have more of a beach/tropics theme, I'm focusing on "bustin' a serious tiki groove" once the sun sets. A full invite (including location ((Denver-near I-70 and I-25))and directions) will follow in about a week and I hope you can all make it.

Finally, I have a question for you.

Regarding the party, I've been practicing my tiki mixology skills for a little while and need you input as I'll be acting as the main bartender. Essentially, I'm looking to create a menu of drinks that will primarily cover a large portion of the tiki spectrum. I'll be including Rum and Coke as one item, just so I have something that will be familiar to everyone attending. One factor to also consider is since I'm not a professional bartender, I plan to do some pre mixing. Basically, I'd like to have the base ingredients pre-mixed and add the final touches (the juices and exotic ingredients) by hand during the final mixing. My plan is to focus on garnishes, I'm trying to cut down the per drink time, in other areas.

The drink list for the party will feature a maximum of 6 tiki drinks and one or two beers. In case you're wondering, I do plan to buy a copy of the Grog Log, but don't have a copy at the moment.

The drinks I've already placed on the menu are:
-Banana Banshee (several successfull trials with this drink)
-Yellow Bird
-Rum and Coke (explained above)
-?
-?
-?
*I'm going to have a special volcano bowl drink, but it won't be available to the general public.

Any suggestions?

Regarding the beer, Red Stripe will be one of the two selections. Any ideas on what else? Please keep your suggestions to something that can be obtained in the Denver market.

One question for Tiki Fink. Referring back to one of your earlier posts, I plan to include a request for alcohol contributions in the invite. In a previous email, you mentioned having a selection of Tiki Mugs and other tiki items that you would make available to TC'ers at a 15% discount. Would it be possible if I could send the invited guests to your store for the same discount? Maybe have them present the invite as proof? If not, I'll try to get $ donations sent in advance and purchase from you directly. This will be much more difficult to accomplish, but possible.

Also, regarding your mugs. You wouldn't happen to be planning to carry a volcano, or a line on a Trader Vic's Kava Bowl, would you? I plan to have at least one volcano for the party and the Kava Bowl is intended for the anniversary couple.

Whew. That's it for the moment folks. Thanks for your patience with the length of this email.

Mahalo!

[ This Message was edited by: Eleio the fleet 2006-06-01 09:13 ]

Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-01 11:12 am   Permalink

Elio:

That would be fine if your friends are up to the trek out here. As for beer, a true Pacific Rim beer that is readily available just about anywhere is Steinlager from New Zealand.

MARKETPLACE NEWS:

The big 3' Tikis that you may have seen on the marketplace thread have made it to Colorado Target. I just purchased one about an hour ago from the Target in Glendale and not only was it on sale but it is very nice looking. Sorry no pic, but you can see one on the marketplace thread. $43.00inc tax!

T.F.

Eleio the fleet
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-01 8:47 pm   Permalink

Aloha Tiki Fink,

Many thanks for your generosity! I'll make sure that everyone is aware that it's only tiki related alcohols and mugs and that they'll need to show their invite in order to get the discount.

May the tikis bless you with favor.

Also, I followed up on your post about the tikis at Target. For what they are, they ain't too shabby. I may attempt to purchase one or two for the party. Can't afford the real ones, so they'll make a decent substitute. Thank you for making us aware!

Mahalo!

Eleio the fleet
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-01 10:43 pm   Permalink

Hello again,

I've been reading some posts and felt it would be a good idea to let everyone know that in my earlier post about the party, I was in no way claiming to be any kind of kind of old hand at tiki. True, you probably guessed from my few posts that I'm not extremely fluent in the Polynesian pop arts, but I felt it should be known.

Furthermore, if you do plan to attend the party, and I hope you will, not only do I hope you'll be patient and encouraging to the other guests, but to myself as well.

I'm really enjoying all of this (tiki, Polynesia, etc.) and am only trying to put my best foot forward. I just don't want my enthusiasm being misinterpreted as arrogance.

That's it.

Thanks for your time and mahalo!

[ This Message was edited by: Eleio the fleet 2006-06-02 00:33 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation