FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Buzzy's work: Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 | 140 | 141 | 142 | 143 | 144 | 145 | 146 | 147 | 148 | 149 | 150 | 151 | 152 | 153 | 154 | 155 | 156 | 157 | 158 | 159 | 160 | 161 | 162 | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | 170 | 171 | 172 | 173 | 174 | 175 | 176 | 177 | 178 | 179 | 180 | 181 | 182 | 183 | 184 | 185 | 186 | 187 | 188 | 189 | 190 | 191 | 192 | 193 | 194 | 195 | 196 | 197 | 198 | 199 | 200 | 201 | 202 | 203 | 204 | 205 | 206 | 207 | 208 | 209 | 210 | 211 | 212 | 213 | 214 | 215 | 216 | 217 | 218 | 219 | 220 | 221 | 222 | 223 | 224 | 225 | 226 | 227 | 228 | 229 | 230 | 231 | 232 | 233 | 234 | 235 | 236 | 237 | 238 | 239 | 240 | 241 | 242 | 243 | 244 | 245 | 246 | 247 | 248 | 249 | 250 | 251 | 252 | 253 | 254 | 255 | 256 | 257 | 258 | 259 | 260 | 261 | 262 | 263 | 264 | 265 | 266 | 267 | 268 | 269 | 270 | 271 | 272 | 273 | 274 | 275 | 276 | 277 Next Page )
Buzzy's work: Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-30 06:23 am   Permalink

Buzzy, I Love the lessons you are giving AND the lessons you are Learning!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-03 7:10 pm   Permalink

Carved a little before Ona's hoedown on Saturday:

Today's before the sun sets progress:

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-03 9:38 pm   Permalink

Didn't see you at Ona's party?????

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-05 11:46 pm   Permalink

Tikis #27, 28, 29 A step backward?

Was this next set of tikis a step backwards for me? Yes and no. Short term: yes. Long term: definitely not. These next three were carved from the leftover cut outs from the three chairs I did in the preceding few weeks. All three of these were carved in one day. These were practice tikis and were approached more from the technique angle. I was less concerned with final outcome of these than most of my work up to this point. There were a couple of things that I wanted to try with these log pieces. One thing that I wanted to do was try to do more precision cutting with the chainsaw. Another was to work very fast on a piece. Another was to carve the same scale face with hand chisels and compare the results with the ones that I rough cut with the chainsaw. Bye bye slow modem people! See you next page or so...

Leftover pieces from the chairs(one is missing)

chalked and drawn, Yawn! Actually, I had to make the nose way higher than I wanted to because the tree service put a big gash on one spot of the log. I just worked it into the nose...

I cut these lines wearing my safety gear

mouth cleaned with flat chisels(c'mon uncle Sam, send me my refund...)

I cannot see anything different about this picture from the last one.

This one looks different though. Ready for burning...

There is this always pissed off guy on American Hot Rod. I forget how to spell his name, it but it is pronounced like "burnt." Whenever they say his name, I yell "BURNT" as loud as I can. This is now "BURNT!"

I did the next one all by hand, quicker than I usually work, but still trying to do the best I could
Here it is drawn out to symetrical perfection. I should have left it like this. Looks fine to me. Hey, maybe I'll just start selling drawn out logs to carvers. kind of like a carve by numbers kit...

Clank. clank. clank. Pieces fall out.

Just follow the lines.It's easy. Crest White Strips commercial here. (My first sponser. Yes, I sold out. Next up I join the carver's union and charge way too much for my stuff)
Before crest strips...

After...Check out that bright white smile!!!

I kept carving. I just did the face. It's about a wrap for this one...

Slap on some teeth...

Details so that you can charge a couple more bucks for it...

Done. Move on. Next one was done as fast as possible. Mostly chainsaw.

Done.

If Zaya was to be here at this very moment, she would be covering her ears because I'm yelling "BURNT" again.

(If you are actually still reading all this blather, I overburn the burned areas, and then sand off the excess. I changed my mind about the black pupils and made the eyes bigger than I originally planned.)
All together now...yell "BURNT"

C'MON Florida, put your hands up and yell, "BURNT". Now Wisconsin! "BURNT"

Stained it with two colors of stain:

I like the way it looks with the various shades. Looking at these pictures, I almost miss this thing.

I just sprayed on some sealer for the other two. Can you tell which one was done by hand?

Around this time, my tikis really started piling up around my house.

It was about this time that we heard about Tiki Oasis 6. Everything started getting real crazy after this. It still is.
Anyway, What I learned:(Shouldn't I be getting royalties for this part by now?)
1. I can tell the difference between my hand carved and chainsaw carved stuff easily.
2. Do not throw away any good log pieces. I almost threw these away, but kept them for practice.
3. I made about $220 carving these pieces in one day. OOPS! hey IRS, I mean I gave these to a charity auction and they sold them for $220. About that refund I mentioned earlier, If I buy tools for my "business" with my refund, can I use that as a deduction and get another refund, but only twice as large?
4. I have too many tikis now. It is official.
5. My ugly, practice tikis all sold first at Tiki Oasis.
Geeze! This took forever. I can't wait to catch up to present day tiki making time...
Reflective Buzzy out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-06 01:51 am   Permalink

Most of you do not read these words(except hiltiki and benzart-you are my best TC friends forever. BTCFF OMG!!!),but I would like to comment on an earlier post that I did in April. I learned a lot more about the industry side of tiki in the last few weeks. Especially in the San Diego area. I think that some of these incidents that I will mention will emerge in any large tiki market area. If you are a carver trying to do this for more than a hobby, it might be nice to know what you are up against.
Also, in the same post, I mentioned a Mr Local Tiki Maker Guy, whom I wrongly attributed several tikis to. I have since learned a few things about him too. Very interesting things...
Quote:

On 2006-04-11 21:43, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
It was a simple design and I've seen several copies?, interpretations?, around the San Diego area. I think it's a design that an individual local tiki maker is mass producing and selling all over the county.

I knew so little back then...
It's actually an old Leroy S. design, I believe. And it is not a local tiki maker, I have found out. These tikis are actually mass produced in Indonesia.Imported in huge crates by the thousands. Retail about $299 for a 3-4 foot tiki. The sad thing is, the Real Local Tiki Maker Guy chose these tikis to copy, put on his website, and sell. So let me see if I have this right: Back in the day, Schmaltz goes a travellin' and sees a carving he likes. He comes home, does a few variations, and then finds a design that many people like and he makes several. Someone replicates one, sends it to Indonesia, and the United States has thousands of this same design throughout. Mr Local Tiki Maker Guy sees one of these, says "That's cool, I'm going to make one of those." He replcates it exactly, posts it on his site, and says he will make one for you in this design. He even charges the same amount. Hey, did he even make the original? He said he did on the website. How come half his tikis look like the exact same ones I have seen at several stores throughout the county, and in several Tiki Magazine ads? I think that it is funny that I copied his copy of copies of an originally copied original, that was probably a copy of someone elses original in the first place. It would be ironic if the original that I am now theorizing that Schmaltz copied from and old island carver, was made originally by the grandfather of one of the sweat shop carvers that make the copies now. .

Quote:
Every last one was carved with the exact same design that was the exact same size. He probably uses a stencil and does them in lots, assembly line style. They did vary slightly from one another in that the eyes and details were painted in differing colors.

I was wrong again. It was really about a hundred guys in Indonesia getting paid pennies a day. They make the same design over and over and over again. I saw that Crazy Al did this with one of his tikis. Is he actually outsourcing himself out of his own job?
There are about seven different prevalent designs that I have seen that are really common. Most would recognize them all. You can get the same identical tiki in three different sizes too. The heads are usually the same size, they just make the legs longer and charge more because it is bigger. Expensive Daddy Longlegs Tiki: I'll take a thousand please!

Quote:
I think that I counted 14 small ones and 4 large ones all lined up when I drove by. About two weeks later I happened by and I didn't see any of them out front. I pulled in and walked through the entire store looking to see how many tikis the store moved in the last two weeks or so. There were none anywhere. They all sold. About a month later, I drove by again and noticed another lot of tikis had arrived. It was about another twenty of the exact same one. This time there were no large ones-just three rows deep of the same replicated small one. Another month later I drove by again and there were only two left. Since then I've seen one more large load of the same tikis that are presently down to only two.

I have found out the following: In San Diego, a certain tiki importer, drops off a load of tikis to several patio and tropical themed stores. He does not charge them up front. He returns in a week or so, conducts an inventory, and then collects for sold tikis, and drops off more. Same designs, over and over again. Who is buying all of these? Not collectors. This is who you are in competition with if you try to sell your stuff at the retail level in San Diego to the general public.

Quote:
Oh yeah, I'm also sorry Mr. Local Tiki Maker Guy that I tried copying at least two of your tikis early on in my tiki making journey.

Well, since they were actually not yours. I'm not sorry! Remember when we were at Tiki Oasis, and you kept looking at me all pissed off every time I wheeled another tiki I sold by your booth. Well the reason no one bought your stuff is because it all looked the same. You only brought two designs. Two designs that everyone else has. You only had two designs that didn't sell, though. I had twenty. You had zero designs that sold. I had ten. Buzzy's hint: Diversify! Or copy a less copied copy, at least. And don't look at me all mean when I sell my stuff, because that just isn't in the tiki spirit, is it?
Little More Learned Buzzy Out!

[ This Message was edited by: Bay Park Buzzy 2006-07-06 02:14 ]

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-06 06:45 am   Permalink

More great lessons learned from and by the Buzzy. Lot of Ironic stuff there for sure.
The key to sucess is to first have Fun, thencarve what you feel will sell and try not to directly copy anyone elses stuff that "They thought would sell" because it might not.
However, I Might want to have a few of my pieces duplicated overseas and sent back to me where I would finish them and sell them at reduced prices simolar to Crazy Al's pieces. It is a Sound idea and may save me a lot of work and would give many more peeps a chance to have a Benzart of their own. I Dunno, just thinking.
See what you do with your lessons? You make people think!
Happy happy happy

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-06 06:50 am   Permalink

Buzzy that is very interesting. I wonder who is buying all these mass produced tikis. I like being on TC and seeing all the carvings that the artists do around here and having the choice to pick the ones I like, knowing someone I know made them. I think that's what makes them special. I find myself referring to these tikis by the artists name. I guess it is a matter of taste and knowledge when it comes to buying arts and crafts. Thanks for all the information Buzzy.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-06 07:23 am   Permalink

By the way it is (H+B=BTCFF-OMG!!!).

Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-07 8:17 pm   Permalink

Buzzy here, back in familiar territory. I was wandering around TC yesterday, doing some sightseeing and I ran across this free fire zone- no man's land area called "Marketplace" for the first time. Scary business over there: I felt like I was in that movie Escape From New York. Call me Snake!
It was a fun vacation over there, but today was back to work. I spent a good deal of time getting my sanding area ready. It's time to tackle the eight carved, but unfinished things I have lying around. By then, the second fence post will be done, and both will be ready for sanding/staining. I don't know how I let 9 finished things back up, but I've got a lot of work to do. In between sanding the chair, getting my sanding area ready, and hanging out being Mr. Cool, I did a little work on this second fence post today:

I thought I'd share some of my limited edition Tiki Themed photo art with you guys finally.
I call this one: Dog, Logs, Big Tree and Tiki

I love my dog!
Speaking of dogs, this side of the log isn't as good as the other side. I have very little work to go on this now. Ugh! Sanding time, big time. At least I'm happy about finally seeing some of this stuff finished, all shiny and new...
Wearing a sanding mask all night Buzzy out!

Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-08 3:09 pm   Permalink

Sanding line:

Many of these need finishing touches here and there after I do some initial, but necessary sanding first.

Beautiful San Diego day today. Break time now. Yes, I'm working on a holiday. I love my job though, and since I'm my own boss, I told myself that I could knock off early to spend UFC 61: BITTER RIVALS with my loved ones. The breeze has been going good today, so I actually sanded the chair outside

It's too breezy to burn outside right now, so after this post, I'll drag it in and burn it. Then stain it, stamp it, and send it...
PUBLIC PM FOR S. and/or C.: Zaya just left for Cape Cod yesterday, so I have no way to contact you while she is gone for the next couple of weeks. I know you guys check this regularly, so can you email me when you see this to my link below. I'll be done with this tonight after UFC rites are celebrated. I also have two things to ask S. too. thanks.

I will now continue...
When I sand all my stuff, I take frequent breaks to get out of the dust and rest my arms. Today, during one such break, I came up with an idea out of the blue and started to run with it...
I have all kinds of pieces of palm wood lying around. I started with this scrap:

A few minutes of carving and I brought it to this palm plank:

These are the pieces that I will put together for this little project:

This is just a simple prototype project that I'm going to test out while I take dust breaks. If it works out and is as quick as I think, the plan is to carve Maori patterns into another plank, inlay the New Zealand Maori stamps around the carved design, and build a black bamboo frame around it all. I actually spent the morning contacting stamps dealers looking for more stamps...

Here's a close up of the body of the fence post #2. I forgot to post this yesterday:

I'd like to remove more from the base, but I need the wood to bolt into, and it cannot be top heavy.

Tim Sylvia still HW champion of the UFC...(my prediction)
How many hours until I can see Shamrock get beat up!!!
The rest...Monson, Mir, Aldana wins, Stevenson loss (my hopes)
Others...Don't much care, hope they're good...

While I'm here, I can't remember if a gave a shout out to a couple of O'side guys for watching my back a few times now and then...Got you guys covered too, thanks. You can take the boy out of NC, but you cant take NC out of the boy. I was born here, now I live here, but I'll always be from NC...Sorry it took so long to give you guys your props.
People I know don't ask me what I'm up to anymore. They just log in and look...
Break's over.
Blowtorchin' Buzzy out!

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-08 6:24 pm   Permalink

Back to WORK he says.. We KNOW he goes back to PLAY, Buzzy you can't fool us, you enjoy this too much to call it work and we enjoy it so much we call it Play,"Honey I'm goin out to play today OKAAA We gotcher# right there Buzzy and we Love ya!

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-08 6:32 pm   Permalink

Monson!

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-08 7:02 pm   Permalink

Benzart:(sing along to the tune of that Beach boys song now...)

And I'l have, fun, fun, fun, til they come and take my blowtorch away...

Progress:

I want to put the clear on the white parts now but...
UFC time!!!
Pay per View Payin' Buzzy Out!

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-08 8:45 pm   Permalink

Didn't take Tito long.....

-G

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-08 9:01 pm   Permalink

Buzzy I really like the 4th guy from the left, the one with the 4 layered headdress, hands are together, tongue is out. You know??

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100 | 101 | 102 | 103 | 104 | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | 116 | 117 | 118 | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | 130 | 131 | 132 | 133 | 134 | 135 | 136 | 137 | 138 | 139 | 140 | 141 | 142 | 143 | 144 | 145 | 146 | 147 | 148 | 149 | 150 | 151 | 152 | 153 | 154 | 155 | 156 | 157 | 158 | 159 | 160 | 161 | 162 | 163 | 164 | 165 | 166 | 167 | 168 | 169 | 170 | 171 | 172 | 173 | 174 | 175 | 176 | 177 | 178 | 179 | 180 | 181 | 182 | 183 | 184 | 185 | 186 | 187 | 188 | 189 | 190 | 191 | 192 | 193 | 194 | 195 | 196 | 197 | 198 | 199 | 200 | 201 | 202 | 203 | 204 | 205 | 206 | 207 | 208 | 209 | 210 | 211 | 212 | 213 | 214 | 215 | 216 | 217 | 218 | 219 | 220 | 221 | 222 | 223 | 224 | 225 | 226 | 227 | 228 | 229 | 230 | 231 | 232 | 233 | 234 | 235 | 236 | 237 | 238 | 239 | 240 | 241 | 242 | 243 | 244 | 245 | 246 | 247 | 248 | 249 | 250 | 251 | 252 | 253 | 254 | 255 | 256 | 257 | 258 | 259 | 260 | 261 | 262 | 263 | 264 | 265 | 266 | 267 | 268 | 269 | 270 | 271 | 272 | 273 | 274 | 275 | 276 | 277 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation