FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tahitiki's carvings - new bone carving - 01/08/11 - page 22
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Tahitiki's carvings - new bone carving - 01/08/11 - page 22
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-20 9:38 pm   Permalink

Excellent piece there Tahitiki. But I liked it better before you stained it. The grain was beautiful. A clear marine varnish would have brought it out nicely. Carve another piece with that wood and maybe we could do a trade if you're up for it.
Come on out to Modesto sometime and I'll buy you a few drinks at Minnie's. Maybe drunken Hat and Tikicleen will show you their Dark Marq room. It's da' kine.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2007-02-21 1:59 pm   Permalink

Smooth work. Did you ever find out what type of wood you carved the moai out of? Looking forward to seeing more.

[ This Message was edited by: theded1 2007-02-21 14:02 ]

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-22 4:45 pm   Permalink

That is a great tiki. The grain on the wood was nice as well, but the stain came out really good and it shows you put a lot of time into it.

I admire you guys who have the patience to sand that much.

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-22 7:57 pm   Permalink

Nice one and I'b with Jungle trader about the grain, it WAS Very beautiful to cover up, but the carving Still looks Excellent.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tahitiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-09-05 6:11 pm   Permalink

Jungle Trader, TIKI KAIMUKI, JohnnyP and Benzart hanks for all the good words.
For some reason I was stuck on making the Moai dark from the beginning, I guess you guys are right I should have keep the grain, I still have one piece of the same wood, so I might make another one one of these days.

TIKI KAIMUKI, I haven't found out what the wood is but I think it's some kind of pine maybe, not sure.

I finally finished the Tikilele I started a while ago, so here it is, enjoy,

Size wise, it's about 2 inches smaller than the traditional soprano ukulele so it's kind of fun to play for it's very small.

View Profile of Tahitiki Send a personal message to Tahitiki  Email Tahitiki Goto the website of Tahitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-05 6:24 pm   Permalink

That's INSANE! I love it...I want one. I play the Uke. I've got 2. But I want YOURS!
What brand was that originally?

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tahitiki

Posted: 2007-09-05 6:33 pm   Permalink

Surfintiki, I don't know what brand it is, it's a really cheap uke that I bought a the goodwill, I just wanted to give it a try, to see what I can to on the head, without worrying about messing it up.

Check page 2 of this tread for some progress shots.

View Profile of Tahitiki Send a personal message to Tahitiki  Email Tahitiki Goto the website of Tahitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-05 8:20 pm   Permalink

Man, that uke is insanely good!!

That design would sure make a sweet guitar too!

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tahitiki

Posted: 2007-09-16 9:14 pm   Permalink

After going to Tahiti about 5 years ago I always regretted that I didn't buy a Tahitian Ukulele. So I decided to build my own.
It's just a first try, I never made an instrument from scratch before.
So, I purposely choose really cheap material so if I messed up, the cost of trying would be really low.
I found a board out of a construction site by my house, my wife call this knotty pine. It's knotty alright.
Anyway, that will keep the cost really low cause it's free.

I traced my design on the board trying to make it so no knot would be on the neck - pretty hard

I cut the outline with a jigsaw.

and I reduced the size of the neck.

I used my carving chisels to create the sound hole.

I thinned out the head and carved the sides (I don't have much power tool), then I cut a circle out of a thin piece of plywood from the lumberyard

and sand it so it would match the sound hole

I glued the circle board and stained it.
Added the frets and drilled the holes for the tuner (a real mess, the wood is so soft I mess up most of the holes and I had to fill them up with wood putty, a pretty sad experience)

this is where I'm out so far, I will post some more images soon.

FreddieBallsomic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-17 09:48 am   Permalink

This is just beautiful work.. I think that lono carved on the last uke is killer. Great Stuff!

View Profile of FreddieBallsomic Send a personal message to FreddieBallsomic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tahitiki

Posted: 2007-09-19 9:45 pm   Permalink

Thanks
I made a skateboard a while ago, I thought I would share it with the TC members.

it's about 4' long.

[ This Message was edited by: Tahitiki 2007-09-19 21:47 ]

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-20 04:35 am   Permalink

Awesome work! I love that finished tiki uke - gorgeous! What are you carving this and the little tikis with?

Quote:
It's just a first try, I never made an instrument from scratch before.
So, I purposely choose really cheap material so if I messed up, the cost of trying would be really low

Do yourself a favour, and buy some decent wood! You deserve it! None of this puttying up crap!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AKUAE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-20 08:49 am   Permalink

Hello Tahitiki,

your Tikis are beautyful - great
the finishing is top and your idees with the uke are very cool

what kind of wood your take for the longboard ?

aloha
akuae

View Profile of AKUAE Send a personal message to AKUAE  Goto the website of AKUAE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tahitiki

Posted: 2007-09-20 8:21 pm   Permalink

Thanks Hewey
I usually use a combination of small really cheap carving tool that I had to sharpen like crazy and 2 carving knife from Flexcut. Sometime a box cuter does the trick too.

Bonjour AKUAE
Thanks for the compliments
I use Oak (du chene) to build the skateboard, it's all I had then. Not the best choice but that's all I had. So I had to loosen up the trucks. The board make really wide turn, and can be ride just like a longboard surfboard. You can ride the nose and with enough speed hang ten witch is really cool. For the one that surf, it really have a great feel to it. Hardcore skateboarder usually don't like it.
I think it's a fun ride.

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-21 05:37 am   Permalink

Cool looking board Tahitiki, looks like you can carve an Excellent what ever it is you want to make. Talented across the board!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation