FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki Archeology-The Trade Winds-Oxnard, Ca (Image Heavy)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Tiki Archeology-The Trade Winds-Oxnard, Ca (Image Heavy)
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-10 3:35 pm   Permalink

prior to opening 1964

review from paper (full text below}

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2006-09-11 09:00 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-29 11:49 pm   Permalink

Rendering of Tiki temple 1963 prior to contruction of the Trade Winds

Rendering of the Zanzibar Room

Rendering of the Sadie Thompson Room

Outside tiki

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2006-08-29 23:50 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-30 03:55 am   Permalink

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the pictures Ojaitimo!!!!

Those are frickin' incredible!!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-31 11:30 pm   Permalink

Awesome stuff Ojaitmo, please continue posting pix and info as time permits, these are the kinds of posts that get us really excited.

ST

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-08-31 23:31 ]

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-03 8:51 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2006-09-03 21:01 ]

Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-03 10:26 pm   Permalink

These are just the sorts of images I always dream of seeing, and so rarely get to -- well-lit pictures of the interior of a Polynesian restaurant, right when it was new. Getting to see contemporary stories from news clippings adds even more, and artists renderings of tiki places are some of my favorite tiki art. Thanks so much for opening up your mother's scrapbooks for us, these are wonderful!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-03 11:09 pm   Permalink

Thanks Humuhumu, you inspired me with your passion for tiki and your incredible photography of various places. It is my pleasure to contribute what I can to Tiki Central & Critiki. As Bigbrotiki said; these places may be gone but the images will live on for posterity. I'm glad that I found all of you.
Ojaitimo Tim

kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-04 04:58 am   Permalink

What a joy to see this! I really dig those purples running riot in the East Indian Room. Ojaitimo Tim, your mom is a designer after my own heart.

The rendering of the Sadie Thompson Room looks very shimmery and sparkly. I'm going to google "Sadie Thompson" right now to get the scoop on who the room is named after.

View Profile of kctiki Send a personal message to kctiki  Email kctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-08 2:49 pm   Permalink

Woaw, amazing pictures...really great.
Have you seen the look of that purple room with the green chair !

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-11 08:34 am   Permalink

Thanks all. Here is Bud Smith's decree on the Trade Winds and the full text of the article above.

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2006-09-11 08:45 ]

BornTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-12 08:38 am   Permalink

Aloha Y'all,
Another tidbit...my grandfather, Kai Fee Chin, prior to becoming the executive Chef for the Don the Beachcomber restaurants, was th e Head Chef at the Trade Winds.

Kal

View Profile of BornTiki Send a personal message to BornTiki  Email BornTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-13 05:42 am   Permalink

Tiki Temple

TikiSass

Posted: 2006-09-14 09:43 am   Permalink

This is all very amazing. Truely a learning tool.

View Profile of TikiSass Send a personal message to TikiSass      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-28 09:51 am   Permalink

I photographed the Trade Winds site and talked to one of the salesmen at the RV lot that is there now.
His parents and friends used to go to the Trade Winds often and that they had seen Don Ho perform at the Trade Winds a number of times back in the sixties. He may dig up a picture or two of them.

The high rise buildings you see in the distance were also Bud's projects from the seventies and eighties.

I found this odd pole on top of the fence made of telephone poles and it looks like it was carved once but I'm not sure. If it is natural tiki so much the better.

The sign for the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Highway is ironic in I think that it led to the downfall of tiki in the United States.

I also photographed the Lobster Trap in Oxnard which has a few items from the Trade Winds.

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2006-09-29 11:45 ]

Dr. Shocker
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-28 10:16 am   Permalink

looking good Tim.....I have spent so much tim @ the Lobby bar and the Trap itself.....Bud and my Dad were drinking mates and our boat used to be @ Anacapa Marina up the road

View Profile of Dr. Shocker Send a personal message to Dr. Shocker  Goto the website of Dr. Shocker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation