FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Tiki Archeology-The Trade Winds-Oxnard, Ca (Image Heavy)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Tiki Archeology-The Trade Winds-Oxnard, Ca (Image Heavy)
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-26 8:59 pm   Permalink

How jazzed was I to discover this today? This article was in the wrong section or I would have missed this Trade Winds home development.
It seems that the Trade Winds was so popular with Ventura County residents that a developer built a large community in the foothills of Ventura near the Trade Winds restaurant. They offered three options for these homes and the Trade Winds model was the most popular. The material for the Trade Winds Ashwood is being posted in locating tiki tonight.

Life is a state of mind

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-02-26 23:00 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
T1K1 LEE
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-03 6:26 pm   Permalink

As promised in the post on the "TONGA APARTMENTS", here is the home of the husband and wife who did the landscaping for The "TRADE WINDS" restaurant in Oxnard. According to there son, the went around the world collecting rare Palms. The also own the "TONGA" Apartments and one other set of apartments in the Ventura area. The husband has passed away but the wife is still around. In fact I knocked on her door and asked permission from her before I shot these photographs. The inside of the house , what little I could see, was all TIKIED out, Bamboo, fishnets glass floats etc... There son now runs the apartment operations and and is still helping out with the International Palm Society functions.

TIKI LEE

View Profile of T1K1 LEE Send a personal message to T1K1 LEE  Email T1K1 LEE Goto the website of T1K1 LEE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-24 12:24 am   Permalink

The trees are still there under the same moon where 40 years ago this was the place to be.

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-15 4:29 pm   Permalink

Love this post. A menu and ashtray from the Trade Winds.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki bar Chris

Posted: 2009-03-20 12:51 pm   Permalink

I'm born and raised in Oxnard and I have been interested in the Tiki/Polynesian culture for about the last 15 years or so.I knew one day I would build my own Tiki Bar in my backyard.After 2 months of research and endless trips to HomeDepot and long days of cutting,drilling,hammering,etc. I finally done it!I can honestly say that this is one of the best things I've built.I've had 2 big parties and it's been a big hit every time.I heard people say this is Oxnard's best kept secret and they want to come back every weekend!And that makes me very happy.The bar itself seats about 14 people and is somewhat fully stocked for all those mixed drinks.I also made a small DJ booth for my good friend who is a well known DJ from a local radio station.I also have a small dancefloor for those restless feet.All this is inside a 18ft x 18ft Tiki hut.My wife thought I was crazy when I told her what I wanted to do.I think she understands now.I will post some pics in the future but can't reveal the exact location because I'm afraid the city might make me remove it.I've always wondered about those wind swept palm trees by Wagon Wheel.Now I know thanks to Tiki Central.I knew something was there at one time.I was so intrigued that I went there yesterday.The whole area is abondoned.Kind of an erie feeling standing in the middle of that lot just knowing that was the place to be decades ago.I believe demolition is going to begin soon.They're making way for a housing development.I hope they keep those palm trees there!They're awesome!I believe there was something by the Oxnard airport also back in the day.I remember being in the backseat as my dad drove by there,seeing a Tiki/Polynesian type of building.Does anyone know what was there?My guess it was probably a liquor store or bar.Does anyone know of more places of interest in my area?My dream is to open up a Tiki bar in Oxnard(preferably by the beach)Maybe use the old Trade Winds as my guide!I think we need something like that in this area.I'm looking for 2 Tiki statues(5ft tall) for the entrance of my Tiki bar.Anybody in my area?Reply on Tiki Central or dodgersfan805@gmail.com....peace!

View Profile of Tiki bar Chris Send a personal message to Tiki bar Chris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-20 5:11 pm   Permalink

Welcome aboard there Tiki Bar Chris,

Nice to see folks from the 805 on TC.

You need to post pics of your bar.

I'd go to a cool tiki bar in Oxnard Shores if one opened up.

There used to be a Don The Beachcombers in Santa Barbara in the 1980's that I frequented.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-20 5:27 pm   Permalink

Aloha Tiki Bar Chris. Would like to see what you have done. TikiTony is local for your Big Tiki needs. Also Tiki Diablo, Polynesiac, Kirby, Crazy Al, Tiki Ray and many other Tiki Central members can carve you something. Check out Oceanic Arts in Whittier for decor and Tikis. The bar at the Oxnard Airport was Ted Hughes Tiki Club + more here

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=28606&forum=17&hilite=oxnard%20airport

Also there was Wellman Jue's Paradise in Ventura on Main Street

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VonTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-20 7:45 pm   Permalink

Aloha Tiki bar Chris, and thanks for the plug Bongo!
I have just brought two more palm logs back to life in my Secret Volcanic Lair.This latest set has a small set of Bose Speakers installed in them so you can listen to music poolside or on the outdoor patio.
I carve custom tikis, any size, and I'm right here in Ventura.
Call VonTiki at 805 218 2855 or email me at
vontiki@gmail.com
Mahalo!
I'll post some pix tomorrow.
I recently carved a tiki for David Ellis, who's father Richard, was the carver who did most of the tikis for the Tradewinds. The Tiki was a tribute replica carving of one his father carved over 40 years ago.

[ This Message was edited by: VonTiki 2009-03-20 19:49 ]

View Profile of VonTiki Send a personal message to VonTiki  Email VonTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-03 12:20 am   Permalink

Aaaah what a great post, TC at its finest. X-ept that Bongofury's opening post's pictures are all postage stamp size now.
Oh well, nothing lasts:

http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/2009/sep/30/judge-rejects-bid-to-halt-wagon-wheel-demolition/

>>Judge rejects bid to halt Wagon Wheel demolition

A Ventura County Superior Court judge on Wednesday ruled against an effort to stop the demolition of the historic Wagon Wheel Restaurant and Motel next to Highway 101 in Oxnard.

A preservation group, the San Buenaventura Conservancy, wanted the court to halt the demotion of the old buildings and order the city of Oxnard to redo an environmental impact report on a developer’s planned $100 million makeover of the 64-acre property.

The group argued that the city neglected practical alternatives to tearing down the structures, which is required under the California Environmental Quality Act.

But Judge Glen Reiser said in his written ruling that the city — and attorneys for the developer Oxnard Village Investment LLC — showed that preserving and restoring the dilapidated buildings would create extra costs “sufficiently severe as to render it impractical to proceed.”

Neither Susan Brandt-Hawley, the attorney for the San Buenaventura Conservancy, or Oxnard City Attorney Alan Holmberg had seen the ruling as of late Wednesday afternoon and would not comment on the judge’s decision.

While the ruling was a victory for the city, he issued some caveats and chastised the city on several levels. Reiser said the city could not consider his decision as vindication for its conduct.

The judge said the city had, in fact, violated CEQA and Mayor Tom Holden and another councilman had inappropriately ridiculed the conservancy’s viewpoint publicly during a hearing. The judge also said the city attorney, in Reiser’s court, apparently misrepresented the administrative record of the process.

According to city estimates, it would cost $7 million to restore the old Wagon Wheel roadside attraction. Instead, the developer plans memorialize it in photographs and by incorporating pieces of it in a new transit center planned for the site. But the preservationists argued that the plan was akin to “drawing a chalk mark around a dead body.”

In January, the city approved the plan, which entails razing the old motel, restaurant and bowling alley as well as taking a 171-space mobile home park and the other old industrial and commercial buildings. In their place, the developer plans to build about 1,500 homes, apartments and town homes, as well as commercial development and a transit center.

About 225 homes would be affordable, some for very low-income families. Included in the plans are about 50,000 square feet of new mixed-use commercial buildings and possibly two 25-story high-rise apartment buildings.

It was not immediately clear what Wednesday’s ruling meant for the conservancy’s effort to stop the demolition or whether the group would appeal the decision or sue the city on grounds it violated CEQA rules.<<

Ain't that like classic developers behavior:

"The judge said the city had, in fact, violated CEQA and Mayor Tom Holden and another councilman had inappropriately ridiculed the conservancy’s viewpoint publicly during a hearing. The judge also said the city attorney, in Reiser’s court, apparently misrepresented the administrative record of the process."

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Naneki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-06 07:52 am   Permalink

Okay, it's time to document what's left of the Wagon Wheel. How about those of us in Ventura County get together (soon) one weekend and stroll through the WW.

We can end up by bowling at WW Bowl or hoisting a few at the brew pub across from the palms of the Trade Winds. Or both.

Anybody interested?

View Profile of Naneki Send a personal message to Naneki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-10-06 08:44 am   Permalink

If anyone wants to meet we could also have drinks at my place where you can see the blueprints of the Trade Winds exterior, interior, and lake.

As far as the development of the property, nothing will happen until the economy changes. Directly across the freeway is a large shopping center that was started 3 years ago and sits uncompleted. After most of the exteriors were completed there has been little work done on them in over a year.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Naneki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-06 09:22 am   Permalink

I agree that nothing will be built for some time (or never). But how many times have we seen demolition happen overnight?

Developers knock it down first. Then we look at a hole for years when their funding fell through. Case in point: The Miramar.

Best not to dilly dally.

View Profile of Naneki Send a personal message to Naneki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-06 12:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-10-06 08:44, bongofury wrote:
If anyone wants to meet we could also have drinks at my place where you can see the blueprints of the Trade Winds exterior, interior, and lake.

I'd be up for a Wagon Wheel expedition starting at the Rincon Room.

DC

Swamp Fire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-06 2:20 pm   Permalink

Cool, Stacey and I would be up for an expedition.

View Profile of Swamp Fire Send a personal message to Swamp Fire  Email Swamp Fire Goto the website of Swamp Fire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Naneki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-06 3:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-10-06 08:44, bongofury wrote:

Since you volunteered the Rincon Room, you deserve the right to select the date (or at least start the date selection process.)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation