FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki Archeology-The Trade Winds-Oxnard, Ca (Image Heavy)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
Tiki Archeology-The Trade Winds-Oxnard, Ca (Image Heavy)
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-28 9:23 pm   Permalink

Doug Horne's take on the Trade Winds Tiki. Thanks Doug!

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-28 9:33 pm   Permalink

That is so great!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-28 9:59 pm   Permalink

Only Mr. Horne!

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-05 03:50 am   Permalink

I drove by the Trade Winds former location yesterday and noticed this bulldozer had started doing some work. Looks like something may be happening soon. I really hope they are planning to preserve the trees. Anyone heard anything?

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-05 04:11 am   Permalink

This is a photo from Annie Ellis on the left with her mother, two sisters and David Ellis next to the trailer that Richard Ellis stayed in next to the site while carving dozens of Tiki for the Trade Winds.

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
A Frame
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-05 10:04 am   Permalink

That is a very cool photo!

View Profile of A Frame Send a personal message to A Frame      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-05 10:01 pm   Permalink

should this thread be moved to Locating Tiki?

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-06 8:20 pm   Permalink

Ojatimo,

Wow, that is a great old photo, thanks for posting. Some very impressive Tiki carving.

Bigtikidude,

There are quite a few of these great old Tiki Archeology threads that were started by Bongo, Sabu, Puamana and others before the advent of Locating Tiki. I agree, it would be nice to move them if another thread has not been started yet.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tele295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-04 2:39 pm   Permalink

I remember that place from when I was a kid. When did it stop being Don the Beachcombers? Wish it was still there. L&L Hawaiian BBQ on the other side of oxn blvd just can't measure up.

View Profile of Tele295 Send a personal message to Tele295  Goto the website of Tele295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tele295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-18 6:04 pm   Permalink

These 2 pictures of Trade Winds mugs popped up on Facebook recently

View Profile of Tele295 Send a personal message to Tele295  Goto the website of Tele295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-29 6:17 pm   Permalink

In the distance are the palm trees at the former location of the Trade Wind's restaurant in Wagon Wheel Junction.

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2013-09-29 18:18 ]

20th Century Man
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-01-05 12:21 am   Permalink

I was just enjoying the Flickr photostream of "Conejo Through The Lens" and found this nice vintage image of a local (Thousand Oaks, CA) family dining at the Trade Winds restaurant in Oxnard. http://www.flickr.com/photos/conejovalley/4990941459/in/photostream/

The Burns family at Trade Winds Restaurant, Oxnard
From left to right: Mary Burns, Paul Burns, Gail Burns, and Bob Burns at Trade Winds, circa 1963. Donated by Dawn Burns Bloom. Conejo Through the Lens, Thousand Oaks Library Special Collections Photo ID # CTLblo01.

Behind the cobra chair it appears that wine bottles with holes drilled in their bottoms are mounted end-to-end on heavy ropes suspended from the ceiling and are separated by round cork fishing net floats. An interesting decorative idea...

And if anyone knows where I can score a nice condition TW menu, grog list, ashtray, etc. please let me know!

Enjoy!

View Profile of 20th Century Man Send a personal message to 20th Century Man  Email 20th Century Man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-05 9:39 pm   Permalink

Great find - really digging that photo and the bottle/cork partition is really interesting...

View Profile of TikiHula Send a personal message to TikiHula  Email TikiHula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fez Moai
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-01-05 11:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-05 21:39, TikiHula wrote:
Great find - really digging that photo and the bottle/cork partition is really interesting...

The Hawaiian Room in Bellflower has the bottle/cork thing going on. It is very, very cool. It's on 9875 Alondra Blvd in the city of Bellflower. Very cool place, real chill, and the drinks are cheap.
Here's a pic I took a couple of years ago

View Profile of Fez Moai Send a personal message to Fez Moai  Email Fez Moai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-15 2:05 pm   Permalink

Aloha!
I discovered an undocumented image of a Polynesian restaurant while sorting a batch of vintage 35mm slides last night. Dated May 1964 this color slide doesn't really show much at first glance but upon close scrutiny reveals this is the Trade Winds and is of early vintage. Taken at the lagoon area shortly after the restaurant's initial opening, you may spot the Trade Winds signature tiki (hiding in shadows) and a Richard Ellis Moai style head too. Pretty cool! Without this thread with many great photos already posted, I probably wouldn't have put two and two together and identified this image. Enjoy!

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation