FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Forbidden Island, Alameda, CA (bar)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Forbidden Island, Alameda, CA (bar)
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2006-04-19 11:33 pm   Permalink

Name:Forbidden Island
Type:bar
Street:1304 Lincoln Ave
City:Alameda
State:CA
Zip:94501
Phone:510-749-0332

Description:
You can describe it for yourselves after Tiki Central Night, Thursday April 20th, 2006!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-21 11:21 am   Permalink

Pictures can't convey the best part about Forbidden Island -- the astounding drinks. The quality and variety is simply stupendous. My personal favorite is the Krakatoa, which tastes just like a Black Magic from the Mai Kai. The other favorites that I've tried so far include the Hawaii Kai Treasure, the Sidewinder's Fang, the Combover (served with souvenir comb!), and Martiki's own creation, the China Clipper.

But the pictures speak for themselves about Forbidden Island's jaw-dropping decor:

Forbidden Island's sign, created by pariartspaul:

The interiors were crafted primarily by Bamboo Ben and Martiki:

The logo tiki was carved by Tiki Diablo:

Several decor items came from now-gone tiki places such as The Lanai in San Mateo, Pago-Pago in Tucson, and the Kahiki in Columbus. These carved posts by Keigs came from the Kahiki Moon in Burlington, Vt.:

The menu was created by Hanford Lemoore (the logo tiki drawing is by Tiki Diablo):

The swizzles have "Forbidden Island" molded into them on one side, and the tiki head is molded on both sides:

The napkin uses a logo design by Hanford Lemoore:

A couple of drinks:

Bartender Sonya, wearing a shirt with Tiki Diablo's logo tiki design embroidered by cynfulcynner:

Some of the massive selection of rum and other premium spirits:

I believe this is the first time I've been to a new tiki bar that managed to have the feel and warmth of a place that has been around for decades.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-21 1:27 pm   Permalink

Officially now my favorite tiki bar (After Mai Kai, which goes without saying.).
Forbidden Island is a class A type flagship of what a Tiki bar should be.
You would be foolish not to pay this place a visit.
Forbidden Island, YA!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-21 1:35 pm   Permalink

Oh.

Oh man that looks amazing!!!!!!!!

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-04-21 2:09 pm   Permalink

Finally there is a new tiki bar that does everything perfectly, as I would like to believe it was like going to Don the Beachcomber's in the past. Other new tiki bars have opened (and closed) that have great decor, good drinks, and nice atmosphere. But never to the extent that Martiki, Mike, and Mano have done with Forbidden Island. Three cheers to you three, and cheers also to Bamboo Ben, Tiki Diablo, Hanford, bartenders Sonya and Jim, and waitress Thayer! You outdid yourselves. I am excited to have such a bar exist anywhere, let alone so close to me.

Last night I had the following drinks: Forbidden Island, Captain's Grog, Sidewinder's Fang, Krakatoa, and Monkeyman's Monkeypod. All were outstanding. I also tasted someone's China Clipper and loved it as well.

Sheer perfection.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the drunken hat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-21 2:29 pm   Permalink

WOW! first i would like to congratulate everyone who worked on the place! you all did a fantastic job on it! this is by far the coolest tikibar i have ever been to! the decor totally blew me away. especially when you realize that these guys and gals only had 6 weeks to complete it! all the little details make FI soooo cozy and inviting!

drinks were top notch as you would expect from such talented staff and management. i think i sampled about half of the menu and all of them were exceptional!

thanks to martin, rebecca, mike, denise, mano and the rest of the staff for all of your hospitality.

i have a feeling that we will be making the drive to FI on a regular basis!

View Profile of the drunken hat Send a personal message to the drunken hat  Email the drunken hat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-21 10:12 pm   Permalink

The Forbidden Island is so amazing you will not want to leave. Martiki, Conga Mike and Mano are so in tune with what it takes to create the perfect tiki bar and they (and all the friends that helped out) have nailed it perfectly and still have kept it totally unique and all their own. Anybody who digs tiki and is in a 100 mile radius and doesn't make the effort to check out the Forbidden Island is just being plain old dumb.

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-22 08:48 am   Permalink

What they said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, my sacred trinity of tiki bars is now Forbidden Island, the Mai Kai, and the Alibi.

And FINALLY, FINALLY, one of my all-time favorites is within driving distance!!! I couldn't be happier about this place. From the incredibly intricate, fascinating decor to the brilliant drinks to the awesomely vintage chic cocktail server (go Thayer!!!), everything is spot-on perfect. Three of my favorite things apart from the obvious:

1. The dim, aka "kind" lighting. Thank you. Nobody wants a bright light in the face after six Painkillers. Nobody.

2. The amazing jukebox, thank you so much Jab and Conga Paul! I wish you guys could "do" jukes for a living. The world would be a better place...no wars, no plagues, no heartbreak of psoriasis...if only Paul and Jab were in charge of the soundtrack.

3. The atmosphere. Critiki calls this "tilt" and that's a good term, and in this case I'm not just referring to "tikiness". My theory is that because FI (in its former incarnation as the charmingly divey "Lincoln's Address") already has a good thirty-plus years of vintage neighborhood bar goodness under its belt, it just doesn't have that shallow, trendy, uninteresting "new" feel to it. There's character and history here and you can feel it.

What makes me happiest of all is that this lounge can clearly succeed EQUALLY with vintage tiki bar lovers, serious drinkin' folk and the public at large. (I still think the locals are gonna talk you guys into vodka tonics at six a.m. yet...) Plus the fact that it's situated in a comfortable Alameda neighborhood is likely to both keep the frat-boy jerks away AND really bring in the more sophisticated crowd that will totally appreciate Forbidden Island on all levels.

Not to mention, there's a great late-night Mexican place just minutes away AND ample, safe parking.

Did anyone mention the nifty outdoor patio yet?!? Well, I just did.

This is my local tiki bar dream (going back ten years and more) come true and I thank Martiki, Mike and Mano from the bottom of my heart! You guys are the BEST.

XOX tikivixen

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2006-04-22 10:03 am   Permalink

The drink menu is online! Dig it:

http://www.forbiddenislandalameda.com/fi/menu

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299

Posted: 2006-04-22 2:15 pm   Permalink

Is the patio cigar friendly?

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-22 8:48 pm   Permalink

The pics look amazing, No I gotta work on making the long distance transporter work so I can materialize there at will...at least I'm honored to be there in spirit (get it? thank you, I'm here all week).

Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2006-04-23 12:54 pm   Permalink

Grand Opening April 22, 2006:

Tiki Central Drinks Sold:

Monkeypod: 12
Combover: 9

The race is on!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-24 09:07 am   Permalink

Hey hey, no fair...you should've put the Reverb Crash on there if you wanted a popularity contest

Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sweetpea
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-25 09:24 am   Permalink

Thanks for posting the drink menu!
I'd like one of everything!!!
wheeeeee

View Profile of sweetpea Send a personal message to sweetpea  Email sweetpea Goto the website of sweetpea     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiboy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-04-25 10:25 pm   Permalink

Aloha Crew of the Forbidden Island,
Tikiboy and Kathy couldn't believe our own eyes when we walked in on Thursday night. How you got it all together in 54 days is amazing. Kudos to you all. We tried the Missionary's Downfall and then she had a Forbidden Island and I had the Monkeypod. Next time were going to try the Fugu for two. By the way, is the Mystery Bowl served by the Mystery Girl ala The Kahiki?
See you all tomorrow night.

Mele Forbidden Island,
Tikiboy

View Profile of tikiboy Send a personal message to tikiboy  Email tikiboy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation