[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel Alameda (Forbidden Island) dining options
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 ) Remove Highlighting
Alameda (Forbidden Island) dining options
Tiki Kupcake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-31 10:46 am   Permalink

This is great! AceyTiki and I will be heading down there in August. We LOVE sushi and will go to one of the places recommended before hitting FI. We need to lay a good ground work before all those drinks, right? I will make sure to check in here, again before we go. I will also ask for recommendations of the other places we will be visiting. Tiki road trip for Portland, OR to San Diego for Tiki Oasis! Making tiki stops all along the way!

View Profile of Tiki Kupcake Send a personal message to Tiki Kupcake  Goto the website of Tiki Kupcake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tacky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-31 7:15 pm   Permalink

I give my vote to the Acapulco as the best Mexican anywhere. I love their echilada sauce!! I've been eating there since 1970-72. Have never found anything as good yet! Dang, it makes me hungry just thinking about it! When I do head back to Alameda, I do eat at the Acapulco and then head over to FI. Just can't pass up either place. But alas, it has been about a year since I've made the pilgimage home.....

Tacky

View Profile of Tacky Tiki Send a personal message to Tacky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chiwito
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-01-04 7:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-31 19:15, Tacky Tiki wrote:
I give my vote to the Acapulco as the best Mexican anywhere. I love their echilada sauce!!

Actually, for the food, Acapulco is my favorite as well. I've been going there since I was a kid [my dad did the legal work when the family who owns it first started the place] and I love the burritos. There were two main reasons I gave the bigger thumbs up to Pinata in my previous post: First, Pinata's menu is much more extensive and more varied. Acapulco has fewer items and they tend to use a couple of distinctive sauces which make different dishes more alike. I happen to love exactly what they do, but others might find more to choose at Pinata. Second, Pinata is to margaritas what Forbidden Island is to rum drinks, with a world class selection and great recipies. Acapulco has only a beer and wine license. Of course the bar selection may be less important to someone stopping by on the way to FI.

Juanita's' food seems lighter in style to me, and perhaps less authentically Mexican. It's just different enough that it could easily be an individual's first or last choice depending on taste.

Hope to see a few of you at all three places.

chiwito

View Profile of chiwito Send a personal message to chiwito  Email chiwito     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation