Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Savage Renewal Homemade Tiki Mugs
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Savage Renewal Homemade Tiki Mugs
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-03 05:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-11-24 19:15, bigbrotiki wrote:
That looks like so much fun! I dig the Magma Moai! And the Lava Flow's cool too.

I was inspired to dig up my professional restaurant ware Moai mugs that, having never worked with the mold, I always had THOUGHT were also Duncans --until I realized the subtle differences, especially in the nostrils and lips! I am aware this thread is about home-made ceramics, so forgive me if I veer off a little into these Otagiri-made Moai mugs, but the similarities are so uncanny:

We all know these and many other "modernist" BLACK versions:

Fantastic work on the moai mugs guys. one of my all time favorite mug styles. Sven, this old thread has some more info on the moai mugs.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=30013&forum=5

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-09 8:50 pm   Permalink

Some hobbyist mugs of mine:

From the Duncan Moai mold:

Notice the slightly larger brown version:

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-12-09 10:25 pm   Permalink

Those are really cool. I especially like the white Duncan Moai with the green drip glaze.

I've always wondered about the Kon Tiki hobbyist mugs (top left first pic) and whether they were truly sculpted and released as hobbyist molds or if someone(s) just cast directly off a Kon Tiki Mug. All the ones I've seen are a bit rough and appear to have lost about half their definition.

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-12-12 6:03 pm   Permalink

Couple more here that just came out of Ernie's kiln:

#11, Crazed Surf Moai

#12, Violet Crackle Moai

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-12 9:56 pm   Permalink

Those are cool - looks like someone's having fun!

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-19 12:09 pm   Permalink

Got this guy for Xmas

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-19 12:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-16 15:59, Babalu wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-07-03 17:22, TabooDan wrote:
Thanks for posting those really cool ad's Sabu!!
Here's Sabu's Ad for the Hawaiian Pig:

And here's the actual Duncan Mold:

I saw this on Ebay.
I usually don't like to quote what people say in their descriptions on Ebay but I thought this seller had a few interesting things to say about this mold. Also, the date and model number at the end.

In the description, the seller states:

"CERAMIC MOLD FOR LUAU PIG FOR H'orderve OR COCKTAIL Picks FOR FRUIT SUCH AS PINEAPPLE CHERRIES AND CHEESES AND SUCH, OR FOR KABOBS. RUMAKI - LIVER AND BACON WITH NUTS, YOU MAKE THE HOLES TO FIT THE PRODUCT.. OR CAN HAVE THE LEGS HOLES COVERED AND MADE INTO A BANK. WEIRD LOOKING PIG, BUT THIS ONE I MADE AND SOLD A LOT OF, I THINK MOLDS HAVE LIFE OF 300, I THINK I MADE ABOUT 30. ALSO CAN BE CUTOUT ON SIDE FOR FLAT UTENSILS AND CANDLES, AND WHATEVER ELSE YOU CAN DREAM UP. MAKES A 13" ELONGATED PIG. 1969 BY DUNCAN 37A ALSO HAS SMALL HAT, I DID NOT USE. USUALLY DID HIM IN HAWAIIAN COLORS."

I thought some of you Luau Pig lovers would like this!!

TabooDan

hehe - I don't think that is a hat in the mold as the seller suggests...I think it is a stopper, or cap for the nose of the piggy

haha! I think you're right.

wonder if that means that he could also be made into a decanter? for RUM, perhaps.....

why else would you want a stopper?

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-19 12:35 pm   Permalink

the uglisest hobby tiki mug ever!

and it weighs like 1 lb of fired clay! it was tiki heavyhands!

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
John the Mainlander
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-06-27 8:12 pm   Permalink

I picked up this hobbyist mug in the wild a couple days ago. Its marked "Irene 69" on the bottom. The glaze is a really nice wood grain with a bright lime green interior. This mug is the exact size of my "The Tikis" black Moai. I noticed that the hobbyist mug (left in photo) and the "Tikis" Moai (right in photo) look exactly like the standard "Fireside-Ft. Atkinson" OMC Moai (center in photo), but are actually just a bit smaller in proportion. As any rate, this hobbyist Moai rocks.

View Profile of John the Mainlander Send a personal message to John the Mainlander      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation