FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Bilge » » The horror that is the Beatles!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
The horror that is the Beatles!!
squid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-13 1:57 pm   Permalink

Duke Ellington-

“If it sounds good and feels good, then it IS good!”

“There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind.”

If it weren't for my dad bringing home "Meet the Beatles" I don't think I ever would have started whackin' on those cardboard Quaker Oats cans my mom taped together for me.
Music was in our house all the time. Mom played classical and show tunes on piano, my brother played (still does)piano and Farfisa, my sister played guitar and flute. My dad played big band, hard bop and cool on the stereo. We learned to tolerate each other's musical tastes and have come to appreciate stuff we thought was crap back then. Looking back, we were damn lucky for all that exposure to art. Yup, art. It's all in the eye or ear of the beholder.

I don't own a single Beatles CD but I still have my vinyl to pull out, and I do from time to time.

BTW: Dad HATED the Beatles but he knew that we'd dig it.

'Nuff said.

View Profile of squid Send a personal message to squid  Goto the website of squid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-13 4:13 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2006-12-15 10:34 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-13 9:53 pm   Permalink

The Horror of Junk Bucket!!!!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
squid
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-14 7:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-13 21:53, RevBambooBen wrote:
The Horror of Junk Bucket!!!!

That's rich!
Love ya Lucas!

View Profile of squid Send a personal message to squid  Goto the website of squid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-24 3:38 pm   Permalink

Why were all of Vigor's responses edited out of this thread? Is it some sort of blanket retraction???

It's interesting how strongly people still feel about the Beatles, for better or worse.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-25 10:35 am   Permalink

the beatles are UNhip ....
It's like music for folks that are too lazy to search out the "good " stuff.
they are radio filler ....lol

View Profile of TIKIVILLE Send a personal message to TIKIVILLE  Email TIKIVILLE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-26 2:38 pm   Permalink

Well I fer one stand by everything I posted in this thread:

THE HORROR THAT IS THE BEATLES!!!

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2008-09-26 3:31 pm   Permalink

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-26 5:50 pm   Permalink

Yeah man, all them dirty hippies with all their talk of peace, love, and a world living in a united harmony...what a horrible concept!

We would be a much better world if 1968 just never happened huh!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-26 6:44 pm   Permalink

I've got this story of a party I had with two girls and the Sgt. Pepper album in my second year of college, but Hanford would have to WAY LOOSEN the rules of TC to tell it.

Anyway, weren't the Beatles the first to originate almost every progressive jump in rock, during its most dynamic era? Like their music or not, they've got to be the most lopsided winners of just about every Beatles vs. Any Other Band contest you could imagine...

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-27 12:04 am   Permalink

"We would be a much better world if 1968 just never happened huh!"

I like yer idea cuz I'd be a year younger. Where's the petition?

END 1968 NOW!!!
END 1968 NOW!!!
END 1968 NOW!!!

(BTW: Yuh've got a workin' time machine, right?)

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-27 06:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-09-27 00:04, woofmutt wrote:
"We would be a much better world if 1968 just never happened huh!"

I like yer idea cuz I'd be a year younger. Where's the petition?

END 1968 NOW!!!
END 1968 NOW!!!
END 1968 NOW!!!

(BTW: Yuh've got a workin' time machine, right?)

You bet Mr. Woofy! I would be a whole year younger too!

That whole darn summer of love thing...who needs it. Freakin Hippies!

Apple Records and the whole White Album would never have been done...over rated anyway.

Just think, if we get rid of 1968 we still might have Marin Luther King and Robert F Kennedy with us alive and well.

Apollo 7 - the moon landing, awww shmoon landing...we didn't need to go to the moon.

Rowan & Martin's "Laugh In"...TV would have been much better without it.

And best of all...Vanilla Ice would have never been born.

END 1968 NOW!!!!

Buzzy - Fire up the Time Machine! We're taking out 1968!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-01 12:59 pm   Permalink

I removed all my posts on this myself, because I could see people were not getting the humorous, satirical elements of what I said. Still, I have to say: Great Bolshy Yarblockos to the Beatles!! Long live Tiki, oh my brothers!

Listen, I don't really hate the Beatles. Not to the extent that I hate poverty, war and people who feel the environment is a giant ashtray..but the Beatles are pretty up there in my low regard.

I have pretty strong opinions about things (especially music) but these days I tend to keep them to myself as this forum is a PC forum, and anything that can cause a flame war is verbotten around here. I accept that, and now practice my PC diligently, not getting involved in political threads, religious discussions (the Amish, etc) or attacking people's choice in music. Not to mention the fact that few people agree with me anyway, right? I mean, I managed to piss off people here whose opinions I actually admire and respect (DonhoNYC, Hipahula, etc..) No need for that. A lot of those people are musicians. Some of them famous, like Formikahini. Their opinions count for a lot, because I know whereof they speak.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gonzo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-10-01 2:10 pm   Permalink

Come on Lucas you start off a thread and you get people going then you leave us late comers in the dark by deleting your posts. Dont be so sensitive man. Hanford is this cool?

The radio rarely plays beatle songs that I really want to hear. The songs I do hear are overplayed. You have to seek them out. Try the White Album songs such as "Sexy Sadie" "I Will" "Dear Prudence" and "Im So Tired" these still rock my socks off to this day. I have these cuts on a CD and most folks that hear it like it and dont know its Beatles.

I agree that Love me Do is tiresome but you have to put it in the context of what it was. Love me do was the beatles first hit back around 1962 or so. The beatles evolved along with everyone else and man did it evolve. Never in a 10 year period will music change as fast as it did then.

Im a fan of the late beatles. From Sgt Peppers on. Some of the stuff you never hear such as John Lennons "Yer Blues". Before you give up search you tube for "yer Blues Rock and Roll Circus" and see Keith Richards and Eric Clapton backing up John. Awesome in my opinion..

View Profile of gonzo Send a personal message to gonzo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-01 4:12 pm   Permalink

If you look carefully, you will see that donhonyc paraphrased quite a few of my comments! They are still there, chopped up a bit but still there! In fact, he ripped them apart calling me a 16 year old (I am actually in my mid forties) and lots of other good stuff. Actually, it was quite hilarious the things he said, and I enjoyed it immensely! I kind of long for the days of good old fashioned flame wars. (Don't get me started on Disneyland as a substitute for babysitting, tiki fonts, or parents who allow their toddlers to roam free in an art gallery) but anyway, I am not taking the bait on this, Gonzo! Much as I would secretly like to!!

Anyone who wants can always PM me for a good argument or fight. Politics, religion, whatever! I am game! Just not in public. Some of you who posted on this thread may be suprised at my political views. I will give you a hint, I am very much the same as most 60's hippies. I just don't like the culture, artwork, music or style of dress. Unless it is Sergio Mendes Brazil '66, but that' aint really the 60's, is it? Haight asbury? Fuggedaboudit!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation