FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge The horror that is the Beatles!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
The horror that is the Beatles!!
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-01 5:21 pm   Permalink

Whhhaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: Ooof, I hope this was the correct place for this.
Edit: I was thinking of a another forum, nevermind.

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2008-10-01 17:23 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2008-10-01 18:26 ]

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-01 7:32 pm   Permalink

"Sergio Mendes Brazil 66" is one of the coolest groups OF ALL TIME!

But still, look, were the Beatles or were NOT the Beatles the first in almost every field that defined rock after 1963? Do you want a list?

It's like saying "I don't like rock & roll after 1963" - which is a much more interesting idea.

Like their music or don't, I really don't think they had any effect on the Tiki scene, either. It's kind of a modern Tiki myth that the music of the time somehow wiped out the movement, but in fact Oceanic Arts was just getting started right about then. It doesn't add up.

Most of the Tiki scene started in the 1920s, got a head of steam in the 1930s, and peaked in the 1950s, it was on a downswing in the 60s and you could as easily blame Pop Art or Color TV as the Beatles for its downfall...

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-01 8:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-10-01 16:12, lucas vigor wrote:

I am very much the same as most 60's hippies. I just don't like the culture, artwork, music or style of dress.

Lucas, It is most certainly your right to feel the way you do...don't ever let anyone let you think otherwise. If you think everything about the 60's sucked...well, ok -

But dude, don't forget about the 70's too...avocado appliances, burnt sienna and orange plaid furniture, and Muskrat Love hovering in the top 10. Uck! Still, I think the 70's pooped out some pretty decent tuneage...

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-02 05:56 am   Permalink

So many of the British Invasion groups were flat-out ripoffs of the Beatles.

Lookit these guys, I forget their band name, but here they are in 1964. Big Lennon-style acoustic guitar for rhythm, Harrison trademark hollow body, wearing Beatles moptops all around and Beatles-hip Carnaby Street fashions. Only thing missing is the Hofner Violin Bass, but you don't want to be TOO obvious about it, do ya lads?

These guys even copied Lennon's publicly stated love of Bo Diddley by tracking down his records (not readily available outside of Liverpool, it was a bit of a hunt) and copying whole sections for their 'own' music, mostly covers anyway.

If you want to be famous, you couldn't do much better than simply copy whatever was on John Lennon's mind in 1963, and adopt the Boy Group image newly invented by the Beatles' manager, Brian Epstein.

Look, they're even smoking in this posed shot, - it's a style; the cigarettes were just lit, they're barely burned down - again just like the Beatles made famous with their endless bad-boy puffing in the early daze....

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-02 07:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-10-01 17:21, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:
Whhhaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: Ooof, I hope this was the correct place for this.
Edit: I was thinking of a another forum, nevermind.

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2008-10-01 17:23 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2008-10-01 18:26 ]

That's my brother, Garth Vigor, when he was 3 months old. How did you get that picture?

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-02 07:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-10-01 19:32, Cammo wrote:
"Sergio Mendes Brazil 66" is one of the coolest groups OF ALL TIME!

Aren't they, though!

I have every single album from Sergio Mendes (well, CDs that is) and I never get tired of listening to them. When I was a kid I had the biggest crush on the lead singer Lani Hall, then she had to go and marry Herp Albert.

I really like some of Sergio's earliest stuff. It's far more jazz based.

This was a band that really kept the swinging lush life style of the late 50's, early 60's going. Their album covers are fantastic, the songs are fantastic, and the bassist on a lot of it, Sebastian Nieto, is one of my favorite players. And in my opinion, (as is true for a lot of Beatle's songs) their cover versions of Beatles songs are pretty much the only versions I have ever liked. They somehow manage to make them sound "funky" and swinging.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-02 08:52 am   Permalink

Lani Hall was the perfect 60's doe-eyed gal gifted with a set of professional pipes, but Janis Hansen had a voice that reached for the stars in the original '66 group.

Hansen broke with the group and did regular TV appearances (she later played Felix Unger's ex-wife in "The Odd Couple") all through the 60s - but I'm still trying to listen to her later group's album, "The Carnival"...

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-02 10:37 am   Permalink

I was always interested in the fact that neither of those two gals could speak portuguese, and relied on phonetically learning the lyrics. I had no idea that Janis was on the odd couple. Very cool!
Sergio's later albums became more trippy. After a brief flirtation with disco and soft rock, he really got more "brazilian", but more like the music of Milton Nasciemento or even Tom Ze.

The only album he has done that was a total dissapointment to me was the latest one. And that is because it is a hip hop album with the black eyed peas. Rap music with Sergio? I know he was a master at incorporating the latest trends, but this was too much. Will.I.Am. from black eyed peas has no business being on a brazilian music album.
If you listen to it, you hear this guy going "uh, uh, yeeah, uh, uh, 1 fo the bass, 2 fo the treble, yo"

Very thought provoking rap lyrics, there.

They destroyed the version of "surfboard" by adding rap lyrics, among other abominations on that album. This is the first time in my life I threw a CD in the trash.

Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-02 4:39 pm   Permalink

I didn't go see Sergio's latest tour for exactly all the reasons mentioned above. It's too bad with the recent interest in smooth jazz/acid lounge/hip 60's music that he doesn't go back to basics and do a great little jazz album & tour.

These days he seems pretty intent on playing to stadiums full of people uninterested in his music. Go figgur.

bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-08 10:57 am   Permalink

hmmmm...sounds a TAD like SANTANA...Rob Thomas STRAIGHT to HELL

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-03 3:25 pm   Permalink

Punk Jams! Go Punk Goooo!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucXCSwUYGYc&feature=related

[ This Message was edited by: Babalu 2009-03-03 17:12 ]

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-05 7:24 pm   Permalink

Beatles - Rain

[ This Message was edited by: Unga Bunga 2009-11-30 22:03 ]

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KungFuTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-08 4:49 pm   Permalink

This thread was funny to read, I loved the Beatles as a kid though I'm sick of the same 5 songs they play all the time, just like all the good oldie - classic rock bands, dig deeper there more than love me do.

View Profile of KungFuTiki Send a personal message to KungFuTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-28 8:09 pm   Permalink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT7yMMXOZ-Y&feature=PlayList&p=2DC9614AB1ECA04A&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=1

Mrs Bamboo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-24 6:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Look, they're even smoking in this posed shot, - it's a style; the cigarettes were just lit, they're barely burned down - again just like the Beatles made famous with their endless bad-boy puffing in the early daze....

Keith just wants what Mick is smoking.

View Profile of Mrs Bamboo Send a personal message to Mrs Bamboo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation