FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge The horror that is the Beatles!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
The horror that is the Beatles!!
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-08 5:04 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: donhonyc 2009-06-25 20:07 ]

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-09 07:56 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2006-12-15 10:22 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-09 1:25 pm   Permalink

Just make sure you two don't add to the list of must-not-mention-on-TC:

* Religion
* Politics
* Beatles vs Stones

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-09 2:29 pm   Permalink

Hi Formikahini!

So far, I have been pretty good about the first two!!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-09 4:39 pm   Permalink

One of the best things about the Beatles breaking up in early 1970, was that it gave more room for the Partridge Family to rise up in the charts. Four months after 'The Long and Winding Road' exited the Top 40, 'I Think I Love You' started its own rise to #1.

There is always room in my world for another well crafted pop song.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-10 06:50 am   Permalink

I'm 37. Growing up, Rock (& Disco) was King. Conventional wisdom was the Beatles were great so I liked them. As a little kid, you figured any band that could make Yellow Submarine can't be bad, right? But kids don't know anything. By the time I was 18 my mania was old Rock & Roll (I had it worse than Tiki Fever) and I knew all there was to know about Roots R & R. The lst chapter of that tale is the Beatles killing Rock & Roll. & yeah, I'm convinced you have to be on something stronger than a Zombie to enjoy Sgt. Pepper's. I hate that *#^@

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-10 07:03 am   Permalink

Marshall Crenshaw put it best about Pepper when he said that was when you could no longer DANCE to the Beatles; its a very NAVEL GAZING album but it does have some GREAT production on it. Too bad it blew the door WIDE OPEN for all pretentious hippie crap to come, and by 1969 the Beatles were trying to ditch the psychedelics & 'Get Back'

man this topic has gone LONG....

BB MoondoggyO

sweatin' to Quiet Village in AZ

[ This Message was edited by: bb moondog 2006-05-10 07:04 ]

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-10 3:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-07 19:20, The Sperm Whale wrote:
... take your Metamucil like me, Bong and Riptide!!

Spermy, that stuff is delicious but it gives me the shits.

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-11 06:52 am   Permalink

Hodadhank, try mixing the Metamucil with a few shots of dark rum and you should be fine!

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thomas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-04 2:55 pm   Permalink

Best 70s TV shows: Hawaii Five-0 and M*A*S*H. The wisecracking character of Hawkeye Pierce, frequently seen wearing a period Aloha Shirt and holding a strong drink, was inspirational.

Hawaii Five-0, well, words can't do it justice. A combination of words and images comes close though:
http://www.mjq.net/fiveo/ (no affiliation).

David Bowie was all over the radio in the 70s. "Young Americans" transfixed me as a young kid. I'm also pretty amazed that Stevie Wonder hasn't been mentioned yet. Jeepers Creepers.

The Beatles "ruined" something or other? Silly. Times change. "Creative destruction." They suffer primarily from their legendary status and the fact that, as someone said, "I remember every note by now anyway." I once thought that way about "Margaritaville." If I'd never heard it and it came on the radio, I'd probably get a real kick out of it, but to put it mildly it has become a cliche and causes me to roll my eyes.

John Lennon was loathesome, Yoko is even more so.

Rolling Stones: "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'" or "Moonlight Mile" or the like on the radio: Yes!
The persona of Mick Jagger, the hype about "the world's greatest rock band," and the total lack of creativity in choosing them for the Super Bowl halftime show: No! It's like, they were the "default option." How original.

The notion of people "stealing" certain forms of music from other groups, with the suggestion of racial politics, is totally bogus.

Now and then I'll put the disco station on the satellite radio for short period of time. Boy that was a more innocent era wasn't it.

View Profile of Thomas Send a personal message to Thomas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-04 3:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:
The Beatles? I hate the fact that they put indian music all up inside thier style. This coming from a guy who LOVES Ravi shankar and has 6 CD's from him. This coming from a guy who actually owns a set of Tablas. No kidding! But I can't stand seeing these english guys stealing Indian music

well, as this thread has been bumped to the fore, will add this, tho some are averse to my "corrections"...

Ravi requested a meet with the beatles.
Ravi very much appreciated the exposure to his music that the beatles afforded him.
One may hate Indian music in the Pop rock milieu, but a good time was had by all, back then.

View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-04 4:12 pm   Permalink

http://exquisitelyboredinnacogdoches.blogspot.com/2005/07/beat-meatles.html

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benehune
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-05 8:52 pm   Permalink

While drinking my Metamucil I was wishing I was sixteen again. I would now like to hijack this thread and talk about the Grateful Dead.

View Profile of Benehune Send a personal message to Benehune      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-05 9:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-06-05 20:52, Benehune wrote:
While drinking my Metamucil I was wishing I was sixteen again. I would now like to hijack this thread and talk about the Grateful Dead.

Don't drink Metamucil, just try to eat at least 5 grams of Fiber per day. No biggie. Before you know it your colon will be as smooth as brand new teflon cookware.

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-10-18 06:09 am   Permalink

This whole thread has been HIlarious and illuminating: More than being about opinions or if the Beatles were really in fact all that wonderful as clever marketing and some honestly good songs and ebullient performances have led us to believe; It shows us how PASSIONATE people are about their personal choices in MUSIC... and so how IMPORTANT music IS!

Personally I like the Beatles but not at the expense of understanding the quality and value of all the other incredible music that has happened off the pop chart radar screens of popular music. There is a whole literal world of wondrously worthwhile and important ethnic, cultural music out there and always has been.

I like my Sinatra, Les Baxter, Martin Denny, (early) Johnny Mathis, Nat King Cole, and any number of lounge albums just as much as my Beatles OR the Stones... and some times I even prefer the Eagles, Poco, and the whole of the 70s folk rockers to The Beatles. Why... the original Japanese version of Kyu Sakamoto's Sukiyaki still resonates as loudly within the very fibres of my tiki being as ANYthing the Beatles have done. Call me warped, demented, even Call Me Irresponsible;-) but it's true.

I would just like to thank EVERY one who took part in this thread because as a musician (or musical enthusiast as I like to call myself) and as a person - I learned SO much from it.

The one thing I am not going to do here is try to stop, modify, or dis anyone else's musical likes or dislikes. We all like or dislike what we do for unfathomable and quantum reasons which are personal and stem from each of our own life-experiential matices. Lucas, I feel with you AND relate COMPLETELY about what you say regarding the Beatles. At the same time I get what DonhoNYC was saying...apart from the personal attacks which were kind of humorous (not being on the receiving of them) in sort of sarcastic and insulting sitcom ways.

And again, the most vivid impression to be gained from this dissertation has been how truly PASSIONATE people are about the MUSIC that they so obviously love and that is SO inextricably entwined into the very constituent fibres in the fabric of their lives for better or worse;-)

Peace, love, and aloha vibes,

Mai tais ALL around then!

View Profile of tikimon Send a personal message to tikimon  Email tikimon Goto the website of tikimon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation