FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge The horror that is the Beatles!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
The horror that is the Beatles!!
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-18 4:27 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2006-12-15 10:23 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
saxotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-19 05:16 am   Permalink

Well I have to agree about the Beatles but Stan Kenton? Cool? Swinging? Are you freaking kidding me? You're on the wrong side of town. You need to try some Gene Ammons or Sonny Stitt.

View Profile of saxotica Send a personal message to saxotica  Email saxotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-19 07:42 am   Permalink

You can actually see a photo of The Beatles during their flower in Hawaii (Most of them anyway) at The Hard Rock Cafe in Honolulu, according to there website-

The Beatles
John Lennon's Guild 12-string electric guitar with a picture of John receiving the guitar and a background photo of John and George Harrison on vacation in Hawaii.

No mention of a tiki in the picture but it's so changing of the guards.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-19 07:43 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2006-12-15 10:23 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-19 08:23 am   Permalink

I have owned Beatles albums and I don't get it either. They just seem like a pop band. I don't put a lot of credit in that any more than I think Michael Jackson and Brittany Spears are awesome because they sold a lot of records and are on the radio a lot. I also do not for a moment think the Beatles did anything new or out there. They may have done some funky stuff for a pop band, but, just compare what Frank Zappa and Captain Beefheart were recording at the same time. That was new and out there. Maybe they were the bridge from Pat Boone and the Stones. Pop sounds on the lighter side and looking like long hair rockers. But, alas, they were just pop stars to me.

"Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant" the book

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-10-19 09:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-19 08:23, Swanky wrote:
I also do not for a moment think the Beatles did anything new or out there. They may have done some funky stuff for a pop band, but, just compare what Frank Zappa and Captain Beefheart were recording at the same time. That was new and out there. Maybe they were the bridge from Pat Boone and the Stones. Pop sounds on the lighter side and looking like long hair rockers. But, alas, they were just pop stars to me.

I LOVE that, Swanky;-)

Hilarious and oh so true!

View Profile of tikimon Send a personal message to tikimon  Email tikimon Goto the website of tikimon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-19 10:15 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: donhonyc 2009-06-25 20:11 ]

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
saxotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-19 11:51 am   Permalink

There's a famous story related in the book "Jazz Anecdotes" where Stan Kenton is on the bus talking to his band saying something to the effect of "we've got to find a new way, something different that we're not doing..." One of his horn players says "Well Stan, we could try....swinging." Now that's from a guy that was actually IN the band. There's another story where an arranger says something like "Stan Kenton raises his baton and 20 trumpet players scream and 20 violins play and I can tell exactly what he's doing but Duke Ellington raises a finger, three horns make a sound and I have no idea what just happened." But I will give that "Live at the Tropicana" a shot. Maybe all the Kenton I've heard is the pompous stuff. He just strikes me as being the white bread of jazz, lowest common denominator stuff for the suburbanites who were afraid of the real stuff.

[ This Message was edited by: saxotica 2006-10-19 12:03 ]

View Profile of saxotica Send a personal message to saxotica  Email saxotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-19 11:57 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2006-12-15 10:24 ]

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-19 12:02 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2006-12-15 10:24 ]

saxotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-19 12:09 pm   Permalink

Christopher Cross won awards, too didn't he?

[ This Message was edited by: saxotica 2006-10-19 12:45 ]

saxotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-19 12:33 pm   Permalink

I tried... I went to Amazon and listened to the samples of "Live at the Vegas Tropicana".Sounded like Kenton all right. To each his own I guess.

[ This Message was edited by: saxotica 2006-10-19 12:43 ]

pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-19 1:29 pm   Permalink

I never got the Beatles until David Okeefe gave me his original sculpture of Beatles Reunion 2000 and Palm Farmer Johnny gave me his original Denny Dent (the one he painted on "That's Incredible") of Lennon who we placed looking from beyond over his bandmates. Now I "got the Beatles."

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-19 1:32 pm   Permalink

Yeah, that's a Crazy Al Chess Set and a Tiki King uke.
I got Tiki Central schwag all over the place.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-10-19 4:46 pm   Permalink

The early 60s surf, Northwest garage rock, and girl group scenes (all before the Beatles) had a big influence on youth forming bands, so there was an explosion of garage bands in the U.S. even before the Beatles. By the time the Beatles hit the U.S. with their matching outfits and similar haircuts recycling American R & B and Rock 'n Roll, a lot of American bands around said "so what?". People criticize the Monkees for being a "manufactured" band, but the Beatles were a raw pot-smoking R & B band wearing black leather and sporting pompadours before George Martin "manufactured" their clean image. I do admit that they were huge with teeny bopper girls, and that Lennon and McCartney were great songwriters.

But other British bands like the Rolling Stones, Yardbirds, Troggs, and Kinks (and dozens of others) were a huge influence on mid-60s garage bands all over the world because they didn't wear uniforms, they had a tougher sound, they had longer hair, and they just seemed more rebellious, which always attracts teenagers. The Beatles were safe anough for your parents to like them, so that instantly made them less than cool to like. IMO, the mid-60s explosion of a band in every garage was the best thing to happen to popular music since the early days of rock 'n roll in the mid 50s.

Almost every interview I've read in the last 25 years with members of 60s garage bands bears this out.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation