FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge The horror that is the Beatles!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
The horror that is the Beatles!!
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-01 4:26 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2006-12-15 10:33 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-01 4:27 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2006-12-15 10:33 ]

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-01 4:56 pm   Permalink

I tried to read this thread and could not figure out what it's actually about. But I see a lot of people saying what they like, so I'll chime in.

In no particular order:
Jethro Tull (always was, always will be my favorite), M. Ward, Fairport Convention, Modest Mouse, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Johnny Horton, Bettie Serveert, Richard Thompson, The Police, Men At Work, The Kinks, Seely, Blake Babies, Mike Watt, Firehose, Neutral Milk Hotel, The Cardigan's, Throwing Muses, Rasputina

Just to name a few.

I've been a musician for the past 15+ years and have almost nothing to show for it. I can play bass fairly well (although my chops are way rusty, the guitar fairly average, the ukulele almost not at all, and the flute even less. I've been in several bands and have a few albums under my belt, although virtually no one has heard them.

I don't know what this means in relation to this thread, but thanks for listening!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-01 5:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-31 06:48, von buck wrote:
i think Allan Sherman said it best with his "Pop hates the Beatles"

von Buck

PS. I'm not fond of them ether

Allan Sherman!! when I was a kid my mom would spin Allan Sherman LP's. I recently bought a "best Of" CD. Besides "Hello Mada..... Camp Granada"... being a mom of teens I really laughed at Allan's rendition of Petula Clarks "Downtown" fond childhood memories.......

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-01 5:54 pm   Permalink

I have to laugh, talk about giving away ones age, I was in High School in the San Fernando Valley when American Graffiti came out. I was already listing to what were already '50's oldies, swing & easy listing stuff because my parents did. I loved all of it & still do! My folk's listened to K-B-B-Q country & western & KMPC 710 My groovy older sister had us all listing to 93 KHJ, Machine Gun Kelly & "The Real Don Steel Show" & watching "shin-Dig" & "Boss City" taped on the beach yet!! (remember "Cam" lol) We rocked out to "8 DAYS A WEEK" btw..lol..
K-EARTH 101 was NOT yet an oldies station, they played just about everything mor. I think it became straight ahead oldies in 1979. For oldies we listened to "The Art Laboe Show " on KRLA. All AM stations. WE would be daring in my Sr. year of school & tune into an underground FM station called "KLOS" LOL... I dug everything! from Knights in White Satin to Tower of Power & Funkadelic! I played Swing & jazz rock in H.S.& had a top 40 band in H.S. Oooooo... WE were even a house band at Gazarri's on the sunset strip in H.S. OOOoooooo..... LOL! I didn't get be-bop yet? it wasn't melodic, I just didn't get it. I grew to Dig the Original HIPSTER himself MILES DAVIS as I got older, wow, I grew up. Great Times. p.s. we need a new thread.....

[ This Message was edited by: Hiphipahula 2006-11-01 17:55 ]

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-11-01 6:17 pm   Permalink

I distinctly remember KRTH being oldies in the mid 70s. That's where I got my first rock 'n roll edumacation.

Boss Jocks: I remember lisening to the Happy Hare on KCBQ AM in the 60s, Tom Machine Gun Kelly (breeeeeaahhhhh), Huggy Boy (R.I.P.) late at night on AM, Jim McGuiness' Modern World on KGB-FM, and Rodney on the Roc when I could get it in San Diego.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-01 6:29 pm   Permalink

Lucas??? QUOTE... The 70's had been a bad time. Except for Jimmy Carter, jaws, star wars and saturday night live, there was nothing. The radio would play rock blocks of Bob seger, foreigner and Journey over and over again until you wanted to retch and vomit. The only other choice was disco. Everywhere you looked in southern california, tiki structures were disintegrating, turning into drug motels, or low rent housing.

Bet I could convince you there were good, NO GREAT things about the 70's to remember. Hollywood would tell you motion pictures were better in the 70's than the golden age of motion pic's "THE BIG SILVER SCREEN" & music! wow dude, lets start a need thread!! WE will take you there...SOUL MUSIC!!!! FUNK!!! Disco? It paid my rent. come on, I was there with my fake i.d. work'in till I turned 21 maybe you were too young?? I don't know. Dude, If you like swing just admit you liked disco, they went hand in hand quite a lot at times. We played our own disco versions of theme songs like theme from the "Wild Wild West" t.v. show or Benny Goodman's "Sing Sing, Sing" they danced, it's all the same to them. All good times for a horn band. When we got to play what we liked?... it was What is Hip?, Down to the night club, Drop it in the slot, Jeff Becks "superstition" with Stevie wonder horn lines, brah, we rocked Rock tunes with horn lines. It was all GOOD.......... The 70's transitioned us through the 60's sound to R&B yet smoothed it into "soul" to Disco, a new form whether you liked it or not "Yellow Brick Road" or did you NOT like Elton John? to the end of the decade when we started hearing underground "New Wave" THE 70's had lots to offer... Please open your mind, round it out... I listen to what my kids listen to today, I almost have to & ya Know, I like "Death cab for cutie" & "The Killers" lol

Hiphipahula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-01 6:31 pm   Permalink

I'm telling you. k-earth played a lil of every era. not just oldies till like '79... but KRLA all oldies

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-01 7:31 pm   Permalink

I heard the Ramones on K-earth today!!!!!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kikekeki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-01 11:02 pm   Permalink

Any day with the Ramones is a good day...

View Profile of kikekeki Send a personal message to kikekeki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-02 07:20 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2006-12-15 10:34 ]

Dr.TikiMojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-09 4:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-07 18:29, lucas vigor wrote:
The 80's turned things around. Suddenly there was a new beginning. Music was fresh and alive again, and that's where my heart went.

[ This Message was edited by: lucas vigor 2006-05-07 18:56 ]

Fun Post!

About the Beatles.....smoke a joint and THEN listen to the Beatles...naw, skip that if ya smoke dat joint get the Pink Floyd on!
Some music is just that way!
I can remember everyone when I was in High School being really into AC/DC...I just didn't get it....3 cord changes and lyrics about drinkin and F***in...then one night I came home from a party 3 sheets to the wind, drunk outa my mind and I heard AC/DC on the radio and I was like, "WHOA! NOW I get it!" When operating on a shortage of brain cells certain music sounds better! (Bet I catch Hell for this!)

About the 80's.....I worked as a Bay Area Band Manager in the 80's with several small local bands not to mention it was a very influential time of my life, out of High School, starting college, jobs, the music, the ladies, the lifestyle!
It was FUN!
By the 90's not only was all that coming to an end in my life, (well, except the ladies! ), but the music became so dark and depressing!
Hell, "Grunge" made listening to BLACK SABBATH sound cheery!

I can't say I find the Beatles "BRILLIANT" and NO I don't quite understand the craze except that they were sorta revolutionary for the time in history when they came out....that opened the door to a lot of other better bands down the road.... so I DO take my hat off to them for that!

View Profile of Dr.TikiMojo Send a personal message to Dr.TikiMojo  Email Dr.TikiMojo Goto the website of Dr.TikiMojo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-09 7:01 pm   Permalink

Helter Skelter Rocks!

So does Blue Cheer!!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-13 07:17 am   Permalink

This isn't really about the Beatles, but the Christmas songs written by the members.

"Simply Having a Wonderful..." is probably the worst use of synthesizers I've ever heard. And the song sucks too. It was crapped out one drunken afternoon by Sir Paul and now we're forced to listen to it every year. There is no escape. How I loathe it.

"So This is..." is a typically Lennon-esque sardonic and despairing look at the holiday season. I'm surprised John Lennon didn't overdose on heroin moments after completing the depressing tome. Then again, if I saw Yoko Ono underneath my tree, I'd write something depressing about Christmas too. Then I'd set the house on fire.

And now back to shooting squirrels and mumbling under my breath about taxes.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bb moondog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-13 10:10 am   Permalink

I ABSOLUTELY feel this way about 'War Is Over"--more so because it is now always lumped in with non-PROTEST songs like Nat or Bing--and YEAH I know it has relevance now but it is NOT a great Christmas classic and Yoko BLOWS bad on the choruses--always a TREAT to SCREECH along to in the car

View Profile of bb moondog Send a personal message to bb moondog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation