FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Ground has been broken on Portland's newest tiki bar
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Ground has been broken on Portland's newest tiki bar
Robertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-19 3:12 pm   Permalink

I finished the ride.

3,257 miles on a scooter. A lambretta with both brake and pipe problems.

While working on my bike, locals would come around and tell me how they got one-of-em-dang-thangs in the garage.

Just like that, I think I have 4 more scooters.

Anyway, Still in NYC, gonna hit up a steak house and the Zombie Hut in Brooklyn. Will give full report on critiki.com

I fly home tomorow and will see the progress first hand around noon. Then and only then can I assess the progress and try to determine the opening date.

Yes, I think I will have a TC party, unfortunately it will prolly have a short notice, so those who fly in will be forced to pay top dollar for flights. Sorry.

I have real estate friends and I heard a weird rumor.

I heard that Trader Vic's is looking for a Portland location.

Not sure how to feel about that yet.
Robert

View Profile of Robertiki Send a personal message to Robertiki  Email Robertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ekomomai
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-19 4:52 pm   Permalink

Quote: I heard that Trader Vic's is looking for a Portland location.

Well, they can forget about the Benson Hotel by this point.

BTW: We're going to drive by on Saturday to see how things are coming along - very eager to see!

View Profile of Ekomomai Send a personal message to Ekomomai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
karmalaundry
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-19 5:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-09-19 15:12, Robertiki wrote:
I finished the ride.

While working on my bike, locals would come around and tell me how they got one-of-em-dang-thangs in the garage.

Just like that, I think I have 4 more scooters.

Anyway, Still in NYC, gonna hit up a steak house and the Zombie Hut in Brooklyn. Will give full report on critiki.com

I fly home tomorow and will see the progress first hand around noon. Then and only then can I assess the progress and try to determine the opening date.

Yes, I think I will have a TC party, unfortunately it will prolly have a short notice, so those who fly in will be forced to pay top dollar for flights. Sorry.

I have real estate friends and I heard a weird rumor.

I heard that Trader Vic's is looking for a Portland location.

Not sure how to feel about that yet.
Robert

Thoughts:

1. CONGRATUFRIGGINGLATIONS on making across the US! How many miles did you average a day?
2. Yay for parties!
3. Well, people can have a national chain, or they can have the local experience. IMO, most smarter people tend to lean towards the local experience as it's usually more hospitable, less corporate, and has more soul. Either way, I think you picked a winner. I know that I'll be there as often as I can afford it.

Michael.

View Profile of karmalaundry Send a personal message to karmalaundry      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-20 2:23 pm   Permalink

Average mileage per day was about 360. the longest day was 531 in 35mph wind gusts across nebraska.

The shortest was 320.

The secret was padded bike short underwear.

View Profile of Robertiki Send a personal message to Robertiki  Email Robertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MikeyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-20 8:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

So do we get a status update? Did they progress as much as you hoped? (I still see bamboo leaning up against the outside windows....)

View Profile of MikeyTiki Send a personal message to MikeyTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrtikibar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-21 11:54 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2006-09-19 17:00, karmalaundry wrote:
Quote:

3. Well, people can have a national chain, or they can have the local experience. IMO, most smarter people tend to lean towards the local experience as it's usually more hospitable, less corporate, and has more soul. Either way, I think you picked a winner. I know that I'll be there as often as I can afford it.

Michael.

I don't know. I may be a soul-less, corporate dope but I'd have to rate the old Trader Vic's at the Benson over the Jasmine Tree and Jimmy's brand of hospitality. The Hale Tiki in Augusta didn't seem to come up with a winning formula. Sometimes the chains can get things right. I'd love to see Trader Vic's back in Portland.

[ This Message was edited by: mrtikibar 2006-09-21 12:25 ]

View Profile of mrtikibar Send a personal message to mrtikibar  Email mrtikibar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Maori_man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-21 1:21 pm   Permalink

Hey home for lunch after a morning at Thatch working. Things are coming along but there are a few snags as with any construction job. AND if you stop by on the weekends - you won't find me working!!! C'mon - this is America - I get Saturday and Sundays off! Looking good so far. Big push in the next week or so to gt most of the construction done.

View Profile of Maori_man Send a personal message to Maori_man  Goto the website of Maori_man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-22 04:24 am   Permalink

Coolness! I'll be in driving in and out of Portland sometime between next Thursday and the following Monday. Time permitting, I'd love to stop by and take some pics, if you'd like some posted.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-23 09:43 am   Permalink

I am most always at POUR, the wine bar on the corner of 28th. I love to give tours so stop by any evening other than Sunday.
Robert

karmalaundry
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-23 09:58 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2006-09-21 11:54, mrtikibar wrote:
Quote:

I don't know. I may be a soul-less, corporate dope but I'd have to rate the old Trader Vic's at the Benson over the Jasmine Tree and Jimmy's brand of hospitality. The Hale Tiki in Augusta didn't seem to come up with a winning formula. Sometimes the chains can get things right. I'd love to see Trader Vic's back in Portland.

[ This Message was edited by: mrtikibar 2006-09-21 12:25 ]

Ok, I did speak a little too broadly and I'd just gotten out of a local/chain conversation on another board, where chains are almost universally depised. I guess I was just trying to say that usually more people prefer local for those reasons and most national chains don't seem to have any soul.

Trader Vic's before it disappeared from the Benson truly was a great place to go. I was legal on for a few years before it pulled up stakes. And I too would love to see it return.

View Profile of karmalaundry Send a personal message to karmalaundry      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
karmalaundry
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-23 10:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-09-23 09:43, Robertiki wrote:
I am most always at POUR, the wine bar on the corner of 28th. I love to give tours so stop by any evening other than Sunday.
Robert

If I do stop by for a tour, could I bring my camera or would you like to wait until it's open for the pictures?

Robertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-23 4:01 pm   Permalink

Take pictures, go for it.

Just put your hands in your pockets when you get to the velvet paintings.

There is something about Velvet Paintings that make everyone drawn to touch them, even me.
Robert

halicarnassus
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-25 01:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

I finished the ride.

Okay, so I have to admit, I really didnt understand the enormity of the scooter undertaking until this week. PDX to NYC on a scooter is pretty ginormous. I've been making from DC to PDX in my car (albeit dragging a trailer) and 3 days have been a task. Granted, I'm doubling the scooter mileage, but even in a car, places like nebraska and South Dakota can be no easy going (its the trailer that does it)

I think, that once your new place is open, I might have to buy YOU a drink, out of respect for the completion of your undertaking!

View Profile of halicarnassus Send a personal message to halicarnassus  Email halicarnassus Goto the website of halicarnassus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MikeyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-30 5:27 pm   Permalink

OK, it didn't make it open by the end of Sept. do you have a new estimate for when it will be open?

View Profile of MikeyTiki Send a personal message to MikeyTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MikeyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-15 12:01 pm   Permalink

RoberTiki,

Any status on how Thatch is coming along?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation