FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Ground has been broken on Portland's newest tiki bar
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Ground has been broken on Portland's newest tiki bar
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-01-16 4:38 pm   Permalink

I just made reservations to visit my sister in PDX weekend of February 17 - can't wait to see the new tiki bar!

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
halicarnassus
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-01-22 1:06 pm   Permalink

This past friday, I pulled together a bunch of coworkers, a sister, and so on, and rolled out to Thatch.

Oh hell yes. The place isnt huge, but it is awesome. the ambiance is spot on. The drink menu isnt long, nor are the food choices, but they're just opened, so bearing that in mind, I had no complaints. Here's a list of things I noticed.

My Mai Tai came in the right kind of glass, was the right color, and tasted good.
My Blue Hawaiian wasnt too strong on the coconut, and was also, the right color.
the background music was good, and while the bar is noisy, as bars are, I was able to hear all the conversation within my group.
Not sure yet, but we think the combination of the cooking area, and the oil in the lamps on the table, caused my sister's eyes to sting. a periodic trip outside solved the problem.
The place felt like a tik ibar. No video poker, no TV's. There were some beer drinking hipsters, but they were the exception to the general crowd.

While sitting and talking, a group of us who had been to the old jasmine tree, were noticing various objects that had populated the old Jasmine. I was pleased to see them carrying on in a new tiki bar.

On the whole, I think the place has huge potential. As their food and beverage menu expands, and some minor operational kinks get ironed out, I could see the place becoming very popular. Other than an expanded menu, the only thing I think I could really wish for, would be some kind of patio for the place. In the summertime, that would be a complete winner for me. Regardless, I have a feeling that I'll be at Thatch every week

Thank you Robert!

View Profile of halicarnassus Send a personal message to halicarnassus  Email halicarnassus Goto the website of halicarnassus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MikeyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-22 7:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-22 13:06, halicarnassus wrote:
Not sure yet, but we think the combination of the cooking area, and the oil in the lamps on the table, caused my sister's eyes to sting. a periodic trip outside solved the problem.

We have noticed the same thing, only since we came in at opening time, the stinging didn't start until much later when it got busy and they were making lots of food, so I don't think the lamps on the table are the problem. I'm not sure if it is the deep fryer, or the contact grill, but I think they need to put an exhaust fan over the kitchen area. What do you think Robert, is it in the plans?

View Profile of MikeyTiki Send a personal message to MikeyTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-23 10:27 am   Permalink

wow, thanks for the great comments.

Yup, I don't ever want Lottery or TV's. Or Budwiser. I urged a young woman to leave after 15 minutes of her kvetching that we don't have bud or coors. I suggested she try Denny's.

The menu will get expanded, the plan is over 30 drinks, each day we try to add one or two as they get perfected.

Plus, the plan is 42 differnt types of rum. We already have a couple rare ones in there, like El Ron of Cuba.

The patio won't ever happen. Behind the back wall is, well, a house. I don't think busy Broadway is anyplace to enjoy a drink so out front is a bad idea also.

So the burning eyes sensation isn't from the lil' oil lamps, but a combination of the fire retardant material and moisture carrying it about the room. For something that isn't supposed to burn , the stuff really stings. I only had direct contact with it while hanging lights, I can't imagine what Mark (Maori man) went through spraying the stuff and later installing it.

Nine gallons of the stuff was sprayed to make it past the fire marshall.

The HVAC stystem didn't kick in and today I have someone coming out to not only fix it, but increase the fresh air return.

In all, thanks for the commennts and I'll keep trying to iron out the wrinkles.

View Profile of Robertiki Send a personal message to Robertiki  Email Robertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls

Posted: 2007-01-24 07:11 am   Permalink

Adding a new drink every few days...a goal of 42 types of rum...let's see, if I try to stop by once a week, that should keep me occupied through the rest of 2007!

So TC'ers, if you live in the Portland area and haven't been to Thatch yet, get on it! If you're out-of-town, make sure you stop by when you visit the Rose City. This place is great, and it keeps getting greater-er. And with no smoking, you can wear your fancy clothes and not go home stinking.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
halicarnassus
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-01-26 7:55 pm   Permalink

I have to admit, not only do I like Thatch quite a bit, but I'm equally impressed with our proprietor, Robert, who's so interested and accepting of our constructive criticisms. I think that an owner who listens to his customers and does so in a positive way, can only win. To that end, I felt very welcome at thatch, and was pleased to see Robert's responses to what we have to say. For me, thats a business earner, no question.

I talked a bunch of coworkers into heading to thatch last friday night, and they all loved it. As I sit on my couch right now, I know that in ten minutes, me, my sister, and her boyfriend, are gonna get in the car, and drive over to thatch. We already have plans to meet people there for the evening's drinkings. I cannot wait.

I've also been working to convince all my coworkers to come out on friday nights by declaring Tiki Bar Friday. My shop is a combination Apple Computer dealer/design firm, so we're all a bit nuts. If I can get everyone out on a friday night, I like to think I'm doing my part to support the place!

Other thoughts:

as far as drinks go, I'd love to see a good, and I mean good, singapore sling on the menu. Others would be a zombie, some sort of mystery bowl drink, and maybe some incarnation of the hundred dollar mai tai, courtesy of Beachbum Berry. As far as foods go, teryaki skewers would rock, and Rumaki. My sister is vegetarian, so maybe fruit kabobs? My high hopes would also be on some form of pupu platter, but I'm not expecting the world

Robert, if I can help in any way, let me know. Even if its just burning CD's of tiki music, or posting flyers. You've got the support of this portlander, 110%!

View Profile of halicarnassus Send a personal message to halicarnassus  Email halicarnassus Goto the website of halicarnassus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-28 11:43 am   Permalink

wow, new menu of food in place for Saturday night. Sold 14 Pu-pu platters.

The food menu is set minus the Indonean Lamb dish I'm working on.

For Veggies, I have the Veggie egg roll. Sorry, vegans, Haven't found the right solution. Extra fruit garnish?

I have hired a local graphic artist to work out the menus with drawings. As my custom mugs come in, the menu will expand.

Oh, the local artist, Noel (Tikitronic),he also did this lil' site:
http://www.nwtiki.com/

View Profile of Robertiki Send a personal message to Robertiki  Email Robertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
halicarnassus
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-01-29 3:17 pm   Permalink

Went to Thatch this past Friday night. Not surprisingly, the place was even more packed than the week before! We spent out time at the bar, drinking and conversing, and having a generally awesome time. Any problem with the fire retardants, no longer exists. As usual, my drinks were spot on, my shrimp were tasty, and it was good to feel welcome and at home while there.

This friday? I know where I'll be, no doubt!....as well as my sister, her boyfriend, and a gaggle of coworkers that I've enlightened!

And yes, I saw that PuPu platter Robert! Totally awesome

BettyBleu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-29 6:45 pm   Permalink

I required some good friends to go to Thatch on Saturday (and I went along as an out of body experience since my body is in So Cal). Said they loved the ambiance, the drinks were waaay strong and the PuuPuu platter was good but had to leave because the "stinging eye thing."

View Profile of BettyBleu Send a personal message to BettyBleu  Email BettyBleu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTrevor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-29 7:14 pm   Permalink

I have yet to make my way to Thatch, even though I live 5 mins from the place. I just moved to Portland 2 weeks ago so I am just getting my feet wet in the bar scene. I will probably go this weekend. Robert, I think the next drink you create should be called "The Stinging Eye". Wait even better, I will bring my VLV-9 mug (the one with one eye) and you could make it in that. How perfect!

View Profile of TikiTrevor Send a personal message to TikiTrevor  Email TikiTrevor Goto the website of TikiTrevor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-30 09:58 am   Permalink

thanks all for the support.

The "Stinging Eye" is lessening. It is the fire retardant spray. As the place ages with the fans blowing 24/7, it becomes less apparent.

Some drink ideas from customers:
The Tanya Harding, group drink served in Hubcap
The leper's finger: with a Vienna sausage perched on the rim

There are others but I can't think of them right now.

PS, both fountains working now!

quickiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-30 11:13 am   Permalink

Bravo Robertiki!
The photos I've seen of the place are killer! I'm also glad to see you've hired a local graphic artist to help with the menu. Please post the results on the final menu art - would love to see it! Good luck and hope you make some major $$$ for your efforts.

View Profile of quickiki Send a personal message to quickiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
halicarnassus
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-01-30 12:18 pm   Permalink

My sister is my barometer of environmental control, and she had no problem on friday with the stingings and the eyes. So, based on her verdict of no problem, I think it may be a non issue at this point.

As far as drinks go, there's a lot of class and style going on right now. So I have to ponder, hub caps? Vienna Sausages? I dunno... My suggestion would be to pour over that secret tome of tiki awesomeness behind the bar. "The Book" has some seriously good recipes in it. Maybe get the NW Tiki folks, or some of us local tiki central people together, pick say, a top 5, and test them out. I dunno about anyone else, but I'm willing to sacrifice my liver in pursuit of new libations.

And yes, Its only tuesday, but I'll be at thatch again tonight. And of course, I'm bringing a new person who's never been. Cant wait!

Rum Balls

Posted: 2007-01-31 06:59 am   Permalink

Quote:
Some drink ideas from customers:
The Tanya Harding, group drink served in Hubcap

Don't forget a miniature "club" for a stirrer in that one!

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-31 09:10 am   Permalink

come on now.

You really think I'm gonna trash the place out with drinks like the Tonya HArding and the Leper's Finger?

Like I said, those are customer's comments.

Now does anybody have the recipe for the Jock Itch?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation