FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Sam's Seafood Last Hurrah Crab Crawl 5/22
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Sam's Seafood Last Hurrah Crab Crawl 5/22
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-22 10:20 am   Permalink

While all of Sam's artifacts are still in one place, while it's employees can be reached (and if its owner can be reached), it might be a good idea (and fun!) for someone to seek out the the most knowledgeable people there and take a little walk around while asking questions.

Who started the business and did they have connections to other restaurants?

Who owned it at the time the tiki decor was brought in? Did they own other restaurants and were they tiki?

Where did the tikis come from?

...one source or several?

...made to order or from a catalog?

Is the name of the carver(s) known? Some look like the work of Milan Guanko, others look Guanko-esque but less complex than many of the ones at Tucson's Kon Tiki.

Why does one of them have what looks like a neck tie painted on?

And what about the other decor...any good anecdotes behind particular pieces?

I was told on the phone that there had been a fire in the early 60's (1960?) and that the reconstruction resulted in the current building. Is that when tikification occurred? The gentleman I spoke with also told me it had tikis since its founding, but that's not likely.

Are there any photos in the office of the place in
earlier days that can be copied now, while they are easy to get to?

Think like the place is already gone, its people lost to the vast LA employment pool and its artifacts displaced and/or scattered. Here's your chance to earn the gratitude of future urban archaeologists.

I tried lots of these questions on the phone when I was researching to write text to go with photos I took last year for a blog entry - I got practically nowhere. Good luck, have fun and remind many crustaceans of the food chain.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-22 11:01 am   Permalink

I will be video taping tonight and have a cordless mic that we can pin on whomever is knowledgable enough to answer questions.

I would like to capture the Sams walkthrough/tour in all of its detail.

What time? The more light the better.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ookoo lady
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-22 11:11 am   Permalink

Before you interrogate the employees, please remember that these people are losing their jobs. We are all fascinated with the history of these tiki establishments, and we care about the ultimate fate of artifacts inside. The soon-to-be-unemployed people may be more worried about their next paycheck.

View Profile of ookoo lady Send a personal message to ookoo lady      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-05-22 11:19 am   Permalink

SHHHHH! As of now the closing of Sam's is very hush hush. Only the Managers and the cooks know about it and what they know is very little.

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-22 11:20 am   Permalink

Um yeah,
I had forgotten to tell my Dad about that,not to say anything to the employees about it.
And as he asked the Nite Manager guy when the place was closing, and why. He was like "uh your telling me I may not have a job soon"?
with the look of horror in his eyes like he had seen a ghost.
I felt so bad for him. and for telling my dumb ass dad to not say anything.

I may get there early( like 5 or so) if you need help MM
Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-22 11:34 am   Permalink

This is bad ju ju. We are going to a restaurant to celebrate before its demise and the staff doesnt even know about it?

Are we sure we have all the facts straight?

Management most certainly should not be leaking information about its closing to the public before notifying the staff.

This is a big group. Its a tough crowd to keep quiet.

I fully agree with you Ookoo. Its good to be sensitive to those that are losing their jobs. Interrogation would be bad. Asking polite questions would be better.

[ This Message was edited by: monkeyman 2006-05-22 11:39 ]

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnnievelour
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-22 11:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-22 11:34, Monkeyman wrote:
This is bad ju ju. We are going to a restaurant to celebrate before its demise and the staff doesnt even know about it?

Are we sure we have all the facts straight?

Management most certainly should not be leaking information about its closing to the public before notifying the staff.

This is a big group. Its a tough crowd to keep quiet.

I fully agree with you Ookoo. Its good to be sensitive to those that are losing their jobs. Interrogation would be bad. Asking polite questions would be better.

[ This Message was edited by: monkeyman 2006-05-22 11:39 ]

Not telling the staff in the restaurant business is common. The managers usually tell them the day they are closing or dont even tell them. The employees just show up to a locked door and a note. management wants teh staff to work to the end, if some people know they were going out of business they wouldnt even show up.

View Profile of johnnievelour Send a personal message to johnnievelour  Email johnnievelour Goto the website of johnnievelour     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
elsewhere

Posted: 2006-05-22 12:46 pm   Permalink

Hi all--
You don't know me... but I lurk here now and then oogling the fantastic tiki stuff everyone posts about.
I happened upon this thread about Sam's closing and was very dismayed! I've driven by it for YEARS and kept saying to my husband "I want to see the SHOW!! Let's go let's go let's GO!" but it just never came about.
Well... y'all got me off my behind to call. I was able to make reservations for this coming Friday (May 26th)... but the gal who does the show has "moved to another venue".
I'm very sad about this as I really always wanted the full experience. But.. I have no one to blame but myself.
I mentioned to the gal on the phone that I'd heard they were closing and she said rather cryptically, "Well.. that's the rumor"

Anyway... I hope to bump into some of you, someday. I'm sure I'll need advice on decor eventually. After we open our vintage store in a couple months, we plan on FINALLY making our sunroom into the "tiki room". It's been called the Tiki Room for 3 years, now... but there's just been so much STUFF stored in there in preparation for the store that we couldn't begin!

View Profile of elsewhere Send a personal message to elsewhere  Goto the website of elsewhere     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
elsewhere

Posted: 2006-05-22 12:50 pm   Permalink

OOps... I hope I didn't let yet another cat out of the bag on this one. Before I called Sam's and then wrote my post, no one had yet said anything about not mentioning the closing to the employees who may/may not know.
Eek! I'm sorry!

View Profile of elsewhere Send a personal message to elsewhere  Goto the website of elsewhere     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-05-22 4:26 pm   Permalink

WooHoo!! The following people are in for Sam's Seafood Last Hurrah Crab Crawl on
May 22. See you tonight!!!

*SoccerTiki
*WooHooWahine
*Riptide
*Tiki Bird
*Utopian Dream
*Monkeyman
*Al-ii
*Bigtikidude
*Hau'oli Tiki and Mr.
*Tikihai
*Polynesianpop
*Tikitatt & Mrs.
*PiPhiRo
*Sabu + Tikibelle
*Spermy
*Whalerider
*Tigerlily
*Roxanne
*Tiki-Kate
*MT Kahuna+3
*The Pineapple Poet + 3
*Mean Gene
*Johnny & Mrs. Velour
*Dr.Z & Pandora
*Traderpup

I just talked to Sam's and we will be sitting in The High Chief's Room

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-22 9:30 pm   Permalink

Elsewhere what kind of vintage store are you opening and where?

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-22 9:54 pm   Permalink

What a huge crab night!

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
elsewhere

Posted: 2006-05-22 9:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-22 21:30, hiltiki wrote:
Elsewhere what kind of vintage store are you opening and where?

hiltiki -- we tend to focus on 40's, 50's & early 60's. The store (if all goes as planned) will be a "vintage department store" of sorts. Housewares department, appliances dept. ladies dept, etc, etc. We have a very large space with several large picture windows that we plan to change often -- using department store displays from the 40's & 50's as inspiration.
It'll be located down near Long Beach's 4th St "Retro Row".

I can't wait to get all this stuff out of my HOUSE!

WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-05-22 10:45 pm   Permalink

WOOOOHOOOOO! Mucho Mahalo to everyone who came to Sam's tonight for The Last Hurrah Crab Crawl What a fun night! Hope to see everyone again on Saturday.

SoccerTiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-05-23 09:33 am   Permalink

What a great night for crabs!!!!!! We counted 56 seats occupied in the High Chief's Room!!!! 56!!!!!! And that's nothing compared to this coming Saturday night!!! PM WooHooWahine now to get your spot!!!! $35 dinner and the BIG SHOW!

Wooooooo Hooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation