FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Tiki Central's Tiki Crawl 6: July 21-23! (The crawl is over!)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Tiki Central's Tiki Crawl 6: July 21-23! (The crawl is over!)
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-17 5:49 pm   Permalink

Please, for this crawl, if I haven't met you, introduce yourself. I was a little ticked when I found out Marcus Thorn (Australia) was at F.I. same night I was there and I never met him. So, if I haven't met you, don't be shy. I'll do the best I can to make the rounds. Bring it on, bring it on.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suzanne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-18 11:42 am   Permalink

That's too bad that you didn't meet Marcus! Sparky and I were so pleased to have met him, his lovely wife and some of their friends at Viva Las Vegas, and then we got to see them again at the FI bash - we adored them all. :D

I'll do my very best to say hello to everyone

Suzanne

View Profile of suzanne Send a personal message to suzanne  Goto the website of suzanne     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-18 12:28 pm   Permalink

Yes, I agree with Jungle Trader! Don't be shy, go around introducing yourselves to folks. We'll have nametags available, too -- wearing a nametag with your Tiki Central name on it will be a great ice breaker for you. I'll be wearing one, too!

I've told this story before, so my apologies if you've already heard it:

In early 2003, I flew down all by my lonesome from Seattle to attend the Tiki Crawl. The first meeting place was Martiki's home bar at the time, the Foggy Grotto. I didn't know anybody who was going to be at the crawl, and I knew they all knew each other -- I was sure I was going to feel like an outsider. I felt like I was crashing a party I wasn't supposed to be at. I was so shy and nervous, I sat in the park across the street from Martiki's place for a looooong time, trying to build up the courage to ring the buzzer. I sincerely almost turned around and left without going in, despite it being the whole point of my trip.

Well, that would have been silly.

I rang the buzzer, went inside, and had the time of my life. That night, I met so many people who have become my great friends -- Martiki, Boo Loo, thejab, Mr. Smiley, Tiki Mama, Melintur, Tiki Vixen, mig, Floratina, Sugar Caddy Daddy, Polynesian Pop, and so many more. Even more importantly, I learned that anywhere I go, I'm going to meet new tiki people who are warm, welcoming and wonderful.

So, don't be shy, dangit! Wear your nametag, say hello, and don't be afraid. Yes, we're all pretty tight with each other, but we're always adding to our wonderful circle of friends, and you'll be warmly welcomed into conversations.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-19 10:36 am   Permalink

For those coming in from out of town, here's a guide to the weather forecast:

Thursday, Palo Alto: that day the high will be about 90, but it will have cooled down a smidge by the time we meet up at the Sculpture Garden. The tikis are in a shady area, so it should be nice.

Friday, San Francisco: high of 77, low of 65 -- it's significantly cooler in the city, but it looks like it still might be warm enough to leave your jacket at home. Moving the crawl to the summer instead of early spring is paying off!

Saturday, East Bay: high of 82, low of 63 -- it should be a gorgeous day. At the Emeryville Trader Vic's, they're reserving the back room for us, which includes an outdoor patio with a gorgeous view of the bay. Last time I was out on that patio, I about froze to death, this year will be much more comfortable.

Sunday, Alameda: forecast calls for 80 degrees -- not too hot for the Play-Doh, not too cold to be out on the patio.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-19 11:23 pm   Permalink

Apparently I bought one too many tickets for Saturday's Tiki Bus -- who needs one? PM me if you're interested.

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-20 10:38 am   Permalink

Aloha,
Is anyone from Alameda driving to Trader Vic's on Saturday? If so, can I hitch a ride? I'm not so sure I'll be in driving condition at the end of the night and am planning to cab it home, but I don't want my car to be stuck at Vic's.
Mahalo,
JenTiki

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TofuJoe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-20 3:03 pm   Permalink

Friday had been designated a "Spare the Air" day in the SF Bay area.

What does this have to do with the crawl?

It means FREE Bus and Bart rides all day.

From the Air Quality folks:
Tomorrow, Friday, July 21, is a Spare the Air Day in the San Francisco Bay Area. Ground-level ozone air pollution is forecast to exceed 100 AQI (Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups) tomorrow.

The Air District, MTC, buses, ferries, Caltrain and BART are offering FREE commutes all day on this sixth "Spare the Air" weekday! For details, go to
http://www.511.org. This is the final budgeted Free Fare Day of the summer!

View Profile of TofuJoe Send a personal message to TofuJoe  Goto the website of TofuJoe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2006-07-20 5:03 pm   Permalink

Just an hour and a half left till the official start of the Tiki Weekend in South Bay Thursday!

Tonight's schedule is:

6:00 - 6:30 -- PNG Sculpture Garden at Stanford
6:30 - 8:30 -- Trader Vic's in Palo Alto
8:30 - 10:00 -- Martini Monkey at the San Jose Airport, Terminal C
10:00 - whenever -- Smoke Tiki in San Jose

Check out more details on the schedule here.

Can't wait to see you all!

Hanford

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbadtikidaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-21 09:10 am   Permalink

Sadly, I won't be able to make the crawl at all this year.
I've moved yet AGAIN & have never been so broke in my whole life.
This would've been my fifth year in a row & I'm really bummed.
Have a great time & please hoist one for me!

View Profile of bigbadtikidaddy Send a personal message to bigbadtikidaddy  Email bigbadtikidaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2006-07-21 2:05 pm   Permalink

Tonight is day Two -- [ukl=http://www.tikiroom.com/misc/locations.php#22]'Frisco Friday[/url]

Here's today's schedule:

3:30 - 5:00 Trad'r Sam
5:00 - 7:30 Tonga Room
7:30 - 9:30 Bamboo Hut
9:30 - Close San Francisco Trader Vic's!

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-21 3:47 pm   Permalink

hanford_lemoore wrote:
Tonight is day Two --
'Frisco Friday

Here's today's schedule:

3:30 - 5:00 Trad'r Sam
5:00 - 7:30 Tonga Room
7:30 - 9:30 Bamboo Hut
9:30 - Close San Francisco Trader Vic's!

I am on my way to Forbidden Island in 1/2 hour! Damn the Liver, full speed ahead. See, it's spare the air day, not spare my liver day. I wasn't supposed to live this long anyway. So, in a sense, I'm playing with house money. Double down!

Mr. Contrarian,
cpt. "Wrong Way" midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-22 09:22 am   Permalink

Mr Zazz, Inky and 3 extra friends will be there this weekend!!! ZAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Loco
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-25 2:38 pm   Permalink

Thanks Hanford and Humu for a fabulous Tiki Crawl. I know how much work went into it. Much appreciated!!! I had a great time.

View Profile of Coco Loco Send a personal message to Coco Loco      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2006-07-25 10:42 pm   Permalink

The Crawl is complete! Thanks to everyone!

TofuJoe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-26 10:16 am   Permalink

I'd like to add my thanks to the many.

Off to critiki now to rate all those places!

View Profile of TofuJoe Send a personal message to TofuJoe  Goto the website of TofuJoe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation