FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Photos of Ladies at Tiki Establishment-IMAGE HEAVY
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Photos of Ladies at Tiki Establishment-IMAGE HEAVY
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-31 11:30 pm   Permalink

Maybe that group is an early incarnation of that "Purple Hat" lady group...I don't know if they only exist in California, but I am sure everyone here has seen them, I don't know their exact title and agenda, but they are out to have fun...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-01 05:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-31 23:30, bigbrotiki wrote:
Maybe that group is an early incarnation of that "Purple Hat" lady group...I don't know if they only exist in California, but I am sure everyone here has seen them, I don't know their exact title and agenda, but they are out to have fun...

...they are called the "she-woman man-haters club"!!!!!! aaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-06-01 4:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-31 23:30, bigbrotiki wrote:

The "Purple Hat ladies" are an only in California group comprised of only female California Raisins .

(sorry couldn't find photos of the group)

The RED HAT SOCIETY is a much larger group of human women who often have raisin-like wrinkled skin!
http://www.redhatsociety.com/

If you like it,it is ZAZZ! If you don't, give it a RAZZ.

[ This Message was edited by: mrsmiley 2006-06-01 16:09 ]

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2006-06-02 01:35 am   Permalink

Tikigreg - your call to Ron Beshara was spot-on, but just not in the way you anticipated. You called The Pirate's Table in South Dakota because it was the only place you could find to match the name on the menu in the photos. Rob Beshara told you it couldn't be the right place but that his dad based his restaurant on a similar place at the Holiday Inn in Anaheim. It turns out that the restaurant at the Holiday Inn in Anaheim is actually the restaurant in those snapshots. So we come full circle. Funny thing, coincidence, eh?

How do I know? As bigbro said, I've got a Holiday Inn, Anaheim brochure from the 1960s. It was across the street from Disneyland on Harbor Blvd. It had two restaurants, the "Polynesian Dining Room" and the "Ship's Lounge". I'll post photos later on today, but let me assure you, photos 1 & 4 on the first page of this thread were taken in the "Polynesian Dining Room" and photos 2 & 3 were taken in the "Ship's Lounge". I suspect that by the 1970s, the two rooms were sharing the same menu and had been renamed the "Pirate's Table". It makes sense too. Being across the street from Disneyland it would seem fitting to re-name the restaurant to take advantage of the "Pirates of the Caribbean" popularity.

Photos 1 & 2 match perfectly the tiki column, the rock waterfall, the bamboo pillars, the ferns, the hanging lamps & the chairs in my brochure photo of the "Polynesian Dining Room". Photos 2 & 3 match perfectly the wall mural, the tables the chairs & the masts in my brochure photo of the "Ship's Lounge". When I post closeups of my photos you'll have no doubt.

So cool to see more photos of this obscure tiki location! I kick myself that I passed that Holiday Inn all the time throughout my life and never ventured inside. That hotel is now gone and I think we all missed out.

Matterhorn1959 - I think you can definitely add the photos to your Disneyland blog. The connection is valid - just half a block down the street from Disneyland, with two themed restaurant rooms patterned after Disneyland rides, the Tiki Room & Pirates of the Caribbean. Didn't quite a few restaurant and hotels in the area theme themselves like Disneyland?

Sabu

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2006-06-02 02:03 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matterhorn1959
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-02 05:22 am   Permalink

Sabu- Thanks for the confirmation. And yes, most of the hotels around Disneyland in the early 1960s picked a theme. Some that still exist are the Candy Cane Motel and the Vagabond motel. During the beautification of the Disneyland Resort area by Anaheim in the late 1990s, most of the great neon and design was lost and a unified bland theme now prevails. I can't wait to see the brochure as I do collect outside hotels and motels around the park and have not seen the Holiday Inn one. Thanks to all who helped. I also enjoyed the Bamboo Ben Pirates Hat menu and the comments about the ladies.

View Profile of Matterhorn1959 Send a personal message to Matterhorn1959  Goto the website of Matterhorn1959     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrwiskers
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-02 06:17 am   Permalink

the menu scan looks like the Shroud of Tiki to me...

View Profile of mrwiskers Send a personal message to mrwiskers  Email mrwiskers     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-02 06:23 am   Permalink

Man, this is a cool thread.

I wish I could put this team on payroll to help me find stuff from the Bali Hai in Canton, OH.
I'm about stumped.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy

Posted: 2006-06-02 11:57 am   Permalink

Ok, here are the promised photos:

First, the cover of my brochure. 1850 South Harbor Boulevard, Anaheim, CA 92802.

And the "Polynesian Dining Room"

Compare Matterhorn1959's snapshot and a closeup from the brochure:

Everything seems to match. I wonder who carved that nice tiki pole?

You can even see a few of these chairs in the closeup above.

The clincher, though is in the comparison of the "Ship's Lounge"

This next photo shows how the Pirate and Polynesian themes overlapped at the Holiday Inn. It's a picture of Prince Liufau and his Polynesian Review performing in the Ship's Lounge

A map of the Holiday Inn's location:

...And some other photos from the brochure.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matterhorn1959
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-02 1:57 pm   Permalink

Thanks Sabu- now I have to find one of those brochures. A menu from the restaurant would also be great to find.

View Profile of Matterhorn1959 Send a personal message to Matterhorn1959  Goto the website of Matterhorn1959     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy

Posted: 2006-06-02 3:59 pm   Permalink

There's no date on my brochure but it states that the Angels Stadium and Convention Center were "New". The stadium opened in 1966, the Convention Center in 1967, and Pirates of the Caribbean in 1967. I'm guessing that my brochure is probably from 1968. An attached price sheet lists double-occupancy rooms at just $18 a night during the off-season and $22 a night during the Summer.

Sabu

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-03 03:58 am   Permalink

What a great history. The Pirate's Table owner's dad being inspired by this place to create his own themed joint falls right in line with restaurateurs like Trader Vic and the Mai Kai's Thornton brothers being inspired by the Hollywood and Chicago Beachcombers, or the Kahiki's Bill Sapp by either Trader Vic's or a Beachcomber restaurant.

I like that Ship's Lounge's (what an imaginative title!?) Polynesian floor show photo, can one assume that the audience always consisted of Bikini-clad lovelies?

Which brings up another thought of a yet completely untapped source of Tiki Bar interior snapshots: The numerous mostly family owned Polynesian dance troupes that toured these establishments beginning in the 30s thru the 70s must have lots of material (if they kept it)! ...but I do not want to digress from the post here.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-03 11:54 am   Permalink

My God - what an amazing post!!!!!!!!! I wish I had more time to dissolve it all in my brain.....

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiLaLe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-04 11:22 am   Permalink

Hat Tip to TikiGreg--- still laughing ...owe you a nice warm PBR!!!

View Profile of TikiLaLe Send a personal message to TikiLaLe  Email TikiLaLe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigik
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-06-09 9:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-31 08:50, tikigreg wrote:

Everything jibes except for the timeframe, but that could be explained by change of ownership. A short excerpt from the review makes it sound like this might be the place:

"The restaurant’s extensive stonework mimics a pirate’s cave with palm trees and walls creating cozy dining hideaways. Beautiful air-brushed murals give the effect of dining while overlooking seaside beaches. Or treat your friends and family to dining in the Captain’s Quarters, with décor that resembles a ship’s interior."

Discuss.

I have no intimate knowledge of the situation but it is POSSIBLE that the "22 years ago"
was "appropriated" from the menu, which may have been a subsequent version of the original
menu and the copy never updated to reflect the passage of time. Some people never think to
update details like that or consider the change to be an unneccessary expense.

View Profile of tikigik Send a personal message to tikigik  Goto the website of tikigik ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-11 09:01 am   Permalink

-That's some damned fine tiki archeology, Sabu! Dead on. If you notice above the ladie's heads you can even see the lamp sequence matches from the angle they are sitting..

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation