[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Tiki Gas Station
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Tiki Gas Station
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-03 5:30 pm   Permalink

Today I found an old heavy plastic sign from Chevron Gas called "Chevron Island" that looks like it belongs on a hut. I wish I knew more of this promo. Did they dress up the gas pumps to look like tikis and have hula girl pump jockeys? It would have been nice to fill up at this station before going to the Tiki McDonald's in Ohio

[ This Message was edited by: naugatiki 2006-06-03 20:21 ]

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitucson
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-06-03 7:14 pm   Permalink

I'm pretty sure Chevron Island was a promotion/decorating scheme used by Chevron stations in the 1960's. There are lots of maps out there that say "Come to Chevron Island in ______" and feature a silhouette of a palm tree and a hula dancer atop a gas pump. I have an Arizona one somewhere- I'll post a picture if I can find it.

[ This Message was edited by: tikitucson 2006-06-03 19:15 ]

View Profile of tikitucson Send a personal message to tikitucson      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-06-03 8:08 pm   Permalink

That's a wonderful find, naugatiki.

I knew about the United Airlines tiki promotional items. I had no idea there was similar stuff from Chevron. Very cool.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-04 12:04 am   Permalink

Cool find. Love to see some vintage pics

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-04 12:27 am   Permalink

Viva La Google!

oldgas.com has some information. "The Chevron Island promotion was advertised nationally...They had a tropical girl dressed in a hula skirt. She attended all of the regional dealer meetings...Chevron Island license plates...were given away at grand openings while this promotion was going on."

At the bottom of this page there is a 1970 photo where a Chevron Island sign can be seen over the pumps. Also a different metal one used for dealer meetings and some of the promo license plates.

This page has the same photos and some auction estimates for it.

The posts at oldgas.com estimate the signs were used in the late 60s, outdoors. "This plastic was very fragile and not meant to last. This sign is very hard to find in one piece."

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-04 06:35 am   Permalink

Thanks for all the info guys, I see one of those hula dancer maps is on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/1969-CHEVRON-ISLAND-Road-Map-CALIFORNIA-Lake-Tahoe-Hula_W0QQitemZ7162152013QQcategoryZ838QQcmdZViewItem

and while I was adjusting it in my backyard my neighbor spotted it and remembered the radio spot and started singing the jingle "Come to Chevron Island and get some gas.". Not the most original ad but I was grateful for the tidbit.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev

Posted: 2006-06-04 1:49 pm   Permalink

When they refer to 'Chevron Island', are they referring to a destination somewhere down the road - a road trip to make in your car, using Chevron gasoline? (once you reach the shore, you would then have to take a boat, or a plane, or drive over a long bridge, to reach the actual island)

Or are they referring to the actual physical 'raised curb' island on which sit the actual gasoline pumps at the gas station. In this case, the gas station itself would be the final destination (Come to Chevron Island). The juxtaposition of a hula girl (seashore and sand) and a greasy car mechanic (lots of concrete and asphalt) are about as 180 degrees apart as one can get.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-05 07:09 am   Permalink

Great research, guys! That map is a classic, they should have dressed the gas pumps as Tikis!
Not to deter from this thread, but it reminded me of the fact that I still have no material on a Gas station/car wash that was called TIKI car wash or something up in Seattle in the 60s/70s. Anybody ever heard about it?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigik

Posted: 2006-06-09 9:03 pm   Permalink

ikitnrev wrote:
When they refer to 'Chevron Island', are they referring to a destination somewhere down the road - a road trip to make in your car, using Chevron gasoline? (once you reach the shore, you would then have to take a boat, or a plane, or drive over a long bridge, to reach the actual island)

Or are they referring to the actual physical 'raised curb' island on which sit the actual gasoline pumps at the gas station. In this case, the gas station itself would be the final destination (Come to Chevron Island). The juxtaposition of a hula girl (seashore and sand) and a greasy car mechanic (lots of concrete and asphalt) are about as 180 degrees apart as one can get.

<end of quote>

I would assume (uh, oh) that they were trying to create the image of an "oasis" that stood
out from the other, run-of-the-mill, gas stations. Remember, back then, most gas stations
sold gas & oil and often serviced your car and MIGHT have a soft drink machine and a small
selection of candy bars IF you were lucky. Gas stations were a place to get gas and that
was about it and IMAGE was what determined where at least some people got their gas. Heck,
Shell used to give out glassware with a fill-up if I remember right. And I DEFINATELY re-
member Union 76 giving out flourescent orange antenna balls.

View Profile of tikigik Send a personal message to tikigik  Goto the website of tikigik ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KokoKele
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-15 6:45 pm   Permalink

Oh, man, I wish someone had the old Chevron Island television commercial on video so I could watch it. My brother and I used to sing the song, which I believe was set to a tune from South Pacific.

Lyrics went something like:

Come to Chevron Island
Near to where you are
A friendly kind of island
(Something) for your car.

Man, I REALLY want to hear it again. Haven't seen it online anywhere . . .

View Profile of KokoKele Send a personal message to KokoKele      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-19 11:54 pm   Permalink

Wish no more!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lWlbxZRksc

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitabby
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-03-20 06:59 am   Permalink

Great video !!!
I have a road map from this promotion - not at home now but will post a photo when I am.

[ This Message was edited by: tikitabby 2012-03-20 07:08 ]

View Profile of tikitabby Send a personal message to tikitabby      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-20 07:56 am   Permalink

Bigbro,

That is a great ad and nice find on the video. I had missed this post before, another cool old advertising theme.

Here is the Chevron Island map.

And another B & W ad with the Chevron Island hula girl.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitabby
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-03-20 07:59 am   Permalink

That's the map I have! And I looooove the chevron on her grass skirt - hilarious!

View Profile of tikitabby Send a personal message to tikitabby      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-20 12:35 pm   Permalink

I dug up some more cool stuff from the Chevron Island ad campaign.

Here is another hula girl ad - great artwork.

A service station poster.

Another poster advertising the Hula Dollars game.

A service station sign

And a photo with the sign at the pump.

This ad is from the kick-off of the Hula Dollars campaign in 1968.

Another ad for Hula Dollars.

You could win an Orchid aerial topper for your antenna.

Looks like they even dressed up the service station attendants with aloha shirts and leis.

There was also a drawing for a trip to Hawaii.

Finally, there was a program where you could get Hawaiian wood bowls for 49 cents at the service station.

A lot of Aloha in this cool ad campaign.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation