FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Travel » » United airlines serving Trader Vic's Mai Tais!!!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
United airlines serving Trader Vic's Mai Tais!!!
sweetpea
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-06 08:10 am   Permalink

got this today...

Get in the mood for your trip to paradise while still in the air! We're pleased to announce that Trader Vic's world-famous cocktails and award-winning food will be served on all flights between the U.S. mainland and Hawaii beginning this August.*

Passengers in United First® can start their trip by sampling a Trader Vic's original Mai Tai and fresh garden salad with the Trader's own Javanese dressing. The main course will include tantalizing restaurant favorites like Macadamia Nut-Crusted Mahi Mahi, Trader Vic's barbecue-glazed short ribs and pan-seared chicken with miso-sake sauce. Dessert features an ice cream sundae smothered in Trader Vic's praline sauce.

Passengers in United Economy® will also enjoy menus designed by Trader Vic's, so bring your appetite and savor island flavors on board your next flight to or from Hawaii

View Profile of sweetpea Send a personal message to sweetpea  Email sweetpea Goto the website of sweetpea     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-06 2:28 pm   Permalink

Now THAT's good news.

Thanks.

I think I'll fly the frenly skysh more offn. <blackout>

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-06 2:34 pm   Permalink

That would be the best flight ever!

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-07-06 2:47 pm   Permalink

what will they serve us in Cattle Class?

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-06 4:35 pm   Permalink

TV Mai-Tais on an aircraft?

Well, I say go whole-hog!

I would heartily enjoy a TV Mai-Tai in any one of these settings:

TWA Stratoliner Lounge.

The proposed lounge in the super-fabulous Airbus A380 double-decker.

Friends of Austin Powers enjoy the Boeing 747's lounge.

Pan Am Clipper "Smoking" lounge.

A Western Airlines Hostess serves refreshments in the lounge.

Things start to heat up in the 747's lounge.

Douglas DC-6 Sky Lounge.

Another view of the DC-6 Sky Lounge.

Who wants to join me?

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ookoo lady
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-06 8:16 pm   Permalink

It was funny seeing this thread, because I just recently found a "Trader Vic's Recipes Presented by United Air Lines" book at the flea market. Undated, but looks like its from the 1970's.

It has recipes for pupus, entrees, and deserts that were supposedly served on United Air Lines at the time, including Alaska King Crab Mai Tai Style, Chicken Dali Dali, and Macadamia Nut Wisp.

Nowadays, we're lucky to get a bag of peanuts.

View Profile of ookoo lady Send a personal message to ookoo lady      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Molokai Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-07 09:20 am   Permalink

Great news... We need a return to the grand ole days of transatlantic flights - and this is a step in the right direction!! Let's move away from peanuts, sweats, cattle-carts...and bring glamour back to flight!!
BTW Satan's Sin, are those pics of the sky lounges "real" (did lounges actually exist on planes?) or just artist renderings?

View Profile of Molokai Mike Send a personal message to Molokai Mike  Email Molokai Mike Goto the website of Molokai Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-07 09:46 am   Permalink

Conga --

All the photos are real; the first picture is of course an illustration but of something real. These lounges really did exist. Except for the Airbus lounge, which is a mock up, and will only truly exist if the ordering airline decides to install one.

If you have time, watch this video from the Prelinger Archives about the "soon to come" transatlantic flights on the Boeing 707 ... one scene shows passengers relaxing in the 707's lounge ... a passenger takes out a cigarette and the stewardess (dressed in a sharp, beautifully-tailored uniform) takes out her lighter and lights the passenger's cigarette:

http://www.archive.org/details/612Magic1958

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pepe le Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-07 7:48 pm   Permalink

Wow.. that's great news considering United almost went bankrupt. I'd actually consider flying them if they offer this service and they code share with Air Canada too, so I could use points.
Thanks for the lounge pictures Satan's Sin, I love the 'Golden Era' of flying when every class was pretty much first. The days when flying was actually an enjoyable experience (including the airport).
I have a collection of cutlery and china plates from CP Air (Air Canada's formal rival), Wardair (Canadian Charter Airline) and Lufthansa that were used in Economy Class service!
If a TV Mai Tai (or two) and some peanuts is all I get, I'd be a happy passenger!

View Profile of Pepe le Tiki Send a personal message to Pepe le Tiki  Goto the website of Pepe le Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-07 8:48 pm   Permalink

I say sipping a properly-made Mai Tai in a tasteful lounge is what separates us from the animals.

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-08 2:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-07-06 08:10, sweetpea wrote:
Passengers in United Economy® will also enjoy menus designed by Trader Vic's

...like Hula Hot Dogs and Polynesian Pretzels. Yum!

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-07-24 8:35 pm   Permalink

It is about time! United's budget carrier "TED" has been serving Trader Vic's "Famous" Margarita for at least a year! Comes in a little bottle with a Trader Vic's label. I never knew their margarita was famous!!
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-20 10:43 am   Permalink

Here's a shot of my lady Holly and I about to sip on these ono Trader Vic's Mai Tais (modified with double Myers ) aboard United Airlines, headed over to the islands:

I'm wearing my Disneyland/United Airlines/Enchanted Tiki Room Cast Member aloha shirt from the '60's there (United used to sponsor Tiki Room). Which is sorta apropos, don't 'ya think?

[ This Message was edited by: PremEx 2009-05-10 10:38 ]

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
reedalong
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-09-20 12:27 pm   Permalink

Awesome photo! I can't help but feel incredibly envious...

View Profile of reedalong Send a personal message to reedalong      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sweetpea
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-21 08:29 am   Permalink

That's awesome!
Did any of the untied folks notice or comment on your
shirt?
Those look like some yummy mai tais! Wish I had
one right now!!!
Pea

View Profile of sweetpea Send a personal message to sweetpea  Email sweetpea Goto the website of sweetpea     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation