FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food The Mai Tai, a component study in Mixology
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
The Mai Tai, a component study in Mixology
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-29 5:04 pm   Permalink

Since the question was "what's closest to the $100 Mai Tai with cheaper rums?", I'd have to agree with Chip and Andy on the Appleton. That'll cost between $15 and $20. I'd recommend a less expensive Martinique rum for the Rhum St. James Hors d'Age. Rhum St. James has a few less expensive offerings (that I've yet to try) that would come in at your price range. I've not tried other brands, so can't make any recommendations there either. A thread on different Martinique rums could be fun and interesting. Anyway, try checking out the good folks at Hi Time Wine Cellars if you can't find it anywhere else. I know they've got them, should be available through the website.

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-30 12:55 am   Permalink

I usually use Meyers for the dark, I wait for it to go on sale for $12.00 or so. Hey I'm cheap, and for the gold, Cockspur reserve that was on sale at Bev Mor for $6.99 a while back. I was splurging on Marie Brizzard Curacao $24.00 but tried Potters $7.99 and liked it. So the $100.00 mai tai is more like $50.00 around here.

Life is a state of mind

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-30 02:39 am   Permalink

This is exactly what was looking for. I agree with the Appleton VX . . . I always use that and it's always under$20 for 750ml. However, there are NO Martinique rums available in my immediate area unless I 'special order' it from Crown Liquors about 15 miles away. Again, I was talking about nicking out to your neighborhood Liquor Store rather than purchasing online. With this in mind I have on occasion, coupled the Appleton VX with Meyers dark (both Jamaican) with very satisfactory results. Two Jamaican? Why not? TV only used one Jamaican for the original. And on others, Appleton with Cruzan - also satisfactory. I also agree with C&A that one could get away with just the Appleton VX, but I prefer the blending of a gold and a dark for theway they compliment each other. So, with the choices I've mentioned above, I can come in under $40 for the rums.

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-30 05:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-30 00:55, Ojaitimo wrote:
I usually use Meyers for the dark,...

Tell us more about the taste of the finished cocktail, please. I am curious as to what the Meyers brings to the drink because I, personally, dont like Meyers as I find it too sweet on the finish. I would think that you would need a bit more lime to overcome that sweetness. That is just my taste and I prefer my cocktails to be slightly on the tart side of balanced. Tell us what you like about the Meyers and what it does to the final cocktail.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-30 10:39 am   Permalink

10 Cane and other cane-juice based rums are kind of interesting to try in a Mai Tai as well. I've used it before with other rums and it produces a pretty interesting combination. I haven't had 10 Cane in a while, so I don't entirely remember the taste, but it wasn't as sweet as you might expect.
I've not tried the exact combination of 10 Cane and Appleton VX but I think it might be worth a try. While 10 cane can't substitute for Martinique Rum, it does make for a drier drink, at least more than Myers. Martinique rum, or at least the St. James Hors d'Age is pretty bold, but not sweet or sugary the way some other darker rums can be (at least I didn't think so). I think 10 Cane might be an easy substitute as it's readily available in most liquor stores. Oh, on the downside though, it is a bit more expensive, so maybe not such a great option. A fifth usually sells for more than $20. Too bad. I was getting thirsty.

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-30 1:18 pm   Permalink

When I use the Meyers with the Appleton VX, because it is sweeter I am able to reduce the 'Rock Candy Syrup' and go with about 1/2 oz of both Orange Curacao and Orgeat (each) and one fresh lime, the juice of which I don't measure. Being a Type 2 Diabetic, this is to my benefit(any time I can cut down on added sugar), and I find the balance of sweet & tart to be just right for me. Occasionally, when the fresh limes on hand are smaller than usual, I might add a touch more lime juice to get the balance I'm looking for. I've made them with just the Appleton VX, and they're still very good - but I prefer adding a dark rum - I've used Meyers, Cruzan and Bacardi Select so far all with acceptable results.
My main reason for asking the question in the first place was to get input from others as to what combinations they use, soma of which I'll try. I'm experimenting to obtain a combination readily available from my local liquor store without the need to 'special order' anything. I'm pretty sure that not everyone (myself included) always uses Appleton VX and Saint James Hors D'Age every time. I'd surely like to be able to do that, but then I'd have to take out a loan!

I bet you feel more like you do now now than you did when you came in.

GH

[ This Message was edited by: GentleHangman 2007-01-30 13:41 ]

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-30 2:14 pm   Permalink

Here is something you can try in your quest for Mai-Tai Rum pairs.....

Open both bottles (assuming you have two already) and put the necks together and then take a big sniff. It looks goofy so you may want to do this part in private. If the two rums together give you hints of anything exotic or make you think of yummy cocktails on endless beaches then you should have a pretty good pair of rums for a Mai-Tai. The strengths and weaknesses of each should be reasonably well balanced.

If the two rums together smell like two rums together, you may not have a 'good' pair of rums for a Mai-Tai. You should still try the two together, but you will probably have a cocktail that is a little flat overall.

This little trick does not guarantee anything other than you looking like some kind of strange idiot sniffing rum bottles, but it is a good start. They say smell is the major part of taste so this is an excellent place to start. I have found with this nose trick and some experimentation that Corruba and Angostura "Old Gold" make a surprisingly good pair, that Bharbancourt 5 star (or 8 ) and Cruzan Single Barrel make a pretty good pair, and that Angostura 1919 and Appleton Dark (basic stuff, not the estate) make a decent pairing.

[ This Message was edited by: Chip and Andy 2007-01-30 21:31 ]

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TraderPeg
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-01-30 9:22 pm   Permalink

>It is obviously much easier to do this kind of project with a few people sitting around a bar (home or otherwise) because you get not only the drink ingredient exploration, but you get the sights, sounds, and aroma of all of the ingredients. Doing this kind of thing on a message board like Tiki Central is a real challenge, but that actually made it more fun because you get to pull out all of the adjectives you don't normally get to use to describe things.

Guys, I can't praise or thank you enough for the effort you took with this thread. I've been a Tiki collector for awhile but my home mixology was confined to vintage cocktails. Now I'm interested in the "tropicals" and am working my way through Beachbum's books. What a joy this is at the end of a stressful work week -- and how different these lovely concoctions taste from the stuff we've come to expect in chain restaurants.

This thread was quite an education in Tiki mixology in general, because it showed me how to compare and what to look for in products. I'm making Mai Tai's this weekend, and don't anybody try to stop me!

View Profile of TraderPeg Send a personal message to TraderPeg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-31 07:17 am   Permalink

I can't wait to go home and sniff some rum bottles!

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-31 08:38 am   Permalink

Oh, baby! Why am I at work??? I'm gonna go home sick and try that.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-31 1:48 pm   Permalink

Well, keep us posted on what good combos everyone comes up with. One of my current favorites for darker rums is Goslings Black Seal. Just tried a little 50mL bottle of that the other day. Both I and a friend thought it was pretty good stuff, and I don't believe it's very expensive either. I might have to go pick up a bottle and see what I can rustle up.

TraderPeg
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-04 11:26 am   Permalink

I did it! I mixed up my Mai Tais and they were definitely "oa ae -- the best!"

My liquor locker was somewhat challenged so I pulled out the 15 year El Dorado as instructed and just used that -- lovely!

However, here in NYC the mint supply was in its winter doldrums and my mint was droopy so I was too embarrassed to take a picture.

Thanks again, everybody!

View Profile of TraderPeg Send a personal message to TraderPeg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-04 10:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-30 05:03, Chip and Andy wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-01-30 00:55, Ojaitimo wrote:
I usually use Meyers for the dark,...

Tell us more about the taste of the finished cocktail, please. I am curious as to what the Meyers brings to the drink because I, personally, dont like Meyers as I find it too sweet on the finish. I would think that you would need a bit more lime to overcome that sweetness. That is just my taste and I prefer my cocktails to be slightly on the tart side of balanced. Tell us what you like about the Meyers and what it does to the final cocktail.

Well,
I like the taste when its mixed with a gold like the Cockspur, Appleton and even Sailor Jerry's. The sweetness is there but to my personal liking. The Beachbum's recipe for the $100.00 Mai Tai is what I try to make with these rums and good curacao. I use 2 oz's of lime juice which cuts the sweetness. Shaken with mint leaves(my personal taste) 1/2 oz Curacao usualy lt is Marie Brizzard , 1/2 oz orgeat and 1/4 oz sugar syrup. Oh yeah, lime shell in the glass, not in the mixer.

Life is a state of mind

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TraderPeg
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-16 6:12 pm   Permalink

OK, this weekend the mint is much more perky so here's a pic!

Delicious? Oh my, yes...

Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-16 7:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-16 18:12, TraderPeg wrote:
OK, this weekend the mint is much more perky so here's a pic!

Delicious? Oh my, yes...

That is one fine looking drink. But you forgot the
umbrella......

[ This Message was edited by: Chip and Andy 2007-02-16 19:31 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation