FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food The Mai Tai, a component study in Mixology
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
The Mai Tai, a component study in Mixology
Tonnikan Jinn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-29 06:28 am   Permalink

Oops... double post.

[ This Message was edited by: Tonnikan Jinn 2006-07-29 06:29 ]

View Profile of Tonnikan Jinn Send a personal message to Tonnikan Jinn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonnikan Jinn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-29 06:28 am   Permalink

Sorry folks... I guess my point was completely missed or I just wasn't clear enough.

This thread was great. It was a well thought out discussion about one of my favorite beverages. Everyone can enjoy and benefit from this thread.

What I was trying to convey (in an all too tired and sarcastic manner, for which I apologize) was that posting on everyone elses thread related to Mai-Tai's and basically saying... "hey, come over here, my thread is better than yours."

It was disruptive because for days the main page had nothing other than this thread and other "Mai-Tai" threads with the last post being an invitation to this one.

Am I the only one that sees that as at least a little obnoxious and self serving? At least as much as my current and previous post... irony is a bitch, I know... sorry!

Anywho... we now take you back to the celebration of all that is Tiki, starting with as well as ending with the magical libation known as the Mai Tai. Thank god it's 5'o clock somewhere!!!

-T.J.

P.S. Its been a long month, and I may be just a little bitter that I finally got my hands on 4 bottles of Havana Club and haven't had the time to crack them open. I will now shut my mouth until I get some of that down my throat!

View Profile of Tonnikan Jinn Send a personal message to Tonnikan Jinn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-29 06:40 am   Permalink

TJ,

In the words of the immortal Fish... "Bygones".

All is forgiven.

Matt

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Blue Thunder
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-29 08:24 am   Permalink

You can always comment in the u-moderate and let the mods decide if it is not appropriate.

View Profile of Blue Thunder Send a personal message to Blue Thunder  Email Blue Thunder     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-29 08:27 am   Permalink

I am glad to see everyone enjoyed the tasting journey through a Mai-Tai. And, some of you have mentioned doing something similar for other drinks. I hope you share your results here. At least I hope I am invited!

It is obviously much easier to do this kind of project with a few people sitting around a bar (home or otherwise) because you get not only the drink ingredient exploration, but you get the sights, sounds, and aroma of all of the ingredients. Doing this kind of thing on a message board like Tiki Central is a real challenge, but that actually made it more fun because you get to pull out all of the adjectives you don't normally get to use to describe things.

And, to comment on some of the comments.... Some of you 'know' what a good Mai-Tai is, some of you don't. If you have had a good Mai-Tai or, more importantly, if you make a good Mai-Tai I am hoping you will share with us what you use and how you make it. For the rest, the sole purpose of this thread was to entertain your imagination about the 'what is' and 'how to' of a Mai-Tai. I will consider this thread a success if you smiled at any point in the reading of it. I will consider this thread a huge success if you are now looking for or making good/better/perfect Mai-Tai's.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilicious
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-05 9:44 pm   Permalink

Chip, you are a GENIUS. Seriously. What an amazing thread. Its even better than I could have ever imagined.

I just want to announce that I have got to admit... that to date, Chip's Mai Tais are the best I have ever had. And that's the truth. You cannot go to you grave without having one. I am eternally hooked. (And you KNOW that I mean that. You have seen the proof of my love for it! Too delish!)

GREAT THREAD, El Furioso!

Tikilicious (Lenore)
Stev too!

View Profile of Tikilicious Send a personal message to Tikilicious  Email Tikilicious Goto the website of Tikilicious     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-06 06:39 am   Permalink

What a thread! Great job. Only wish I caught it while it was happening (too busy lately, I guess).

I would only like to add a comment on Curacao. I have found many on the market to be too sugary. Arrow brand is the absolute worst. It also has a serious synthetic flavor, and one sniff has you looking for the aspirin. DeKuyper's? Well I haven't had much luck with that either. Just not smooth enough, so it stands out in the drink too much for me. I think Bols is the best of the affordable, easy to find brand. Not too sugary, and smooth so it mixes well with the drink. I read somewhere that Trader Vic switched from DeKuyper to Bols at some point along the way. (Maybe he just got a good distribution deal, but I like to think it was because of the improved flavor.)

In any case, great post. Thanks for all the work!

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pepe le Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-06 1:56 pm   Permalink

Chip and Andy, a belated thanks for starting this discussion about my favorite cocktail, I feel like I've rediscovered it! I'll certainly be searching for some of the different ingredient brands mentioned.

Viva le Mai Tai!!

View Profile of Pepe le Tiki Send a personal message to Pepe le Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-07 06:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-06 06:39, I, Zombie wrote:
... comment on Curacao. I have found many on the market to be too sugary. ... I think Bols is the best of the affordable, easy to find brand.

Funny you mention Bols, because that is the one brand that I have the hardest time finding in my area. You mention the others being too sweet, try reducing the Bar Syrup first. If that doesn't quite get it, try increasing the lime by a dash or two and see if that helps....

Quote:

On 2006-08-06 13:56, Pepe le Tiki wrote:
Viva le Mai Tai!!

I couldn't agree more!

And, Lenore.... Ix-nay the Furioso-a. That is my 'secret' Evil Bartender Name and is not to be spoken in public less the Mai-Tai gods strike my rum collection undrinkable.....

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-08 3:43 pm   Permalink

Here's a late addition to this thread about limes. This is from an interview with Kern Mattei, manager of the Mai-Kai. Thanks to Swanky for pointing it out in his blog. For the full interview, go HERE.

"Our lime juice is particularly important and there is a long history of its use here at the Mai-Kai. We prefer juice from what is called a Mexican West Indies lime or Key Lime. There are two kinds of limes, which are quite different in appearance and taste. There is a Persian or Tahitian lime, which is large and shaped, likes a lemon. Then there is the Mexican or West Indies or Key Lime that is smaller and completely round like a golf ball, and although green through its growing and maturing stage it begins to turn yellow as it ripens. There is a tremendous difference in the taste of these two items and we have always noticed and preferred the juice of the West Indies lime. We had them compared and analyzed a few years ago in a lab and were told that the West Indies lime has a much higher oil content and acidity. This is our preference and the choice of the lime makes a very noticeable difference in the taste of the drinks."

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Pop
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-08-14 12:37 am   Permalink

I recently found this article ref maitais at drinkboy.
www.drinkboy.com/Essays/MaiTai.html

aloha

View Profile of Tiki Pop Send a personal message to Tiki Pop      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rattiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-14 7:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-08 15:43, GatorRob wrote:
"Our lime juice is particularly important and there is a long history of its use here at the Mai-Kai. We prefer juice from what is called a Mexican West Indies lime or Key Lime. There are two kinds of limes, which are quite different in appearance and taste. There is a tremendous difference in the taste of these two items and we have always noticed and preferred the juice of the West Indies lime. We had them compared and analyzed a few years ago in a lab and were told that the West Indies lime has a much higher oil content and acidity. This is our preference and the choice of the lime makes a very noticeable difference in the taste of the drinks."[/i]

Well we here in Key West always knew dat Cuzy! In actuality I had originally used the Persian Lime because I wanted to use fresh lime juice and that what was available at the local Winn Dixie. The juice of one lime the TV website said so I did, and I found it way too tart, so I got some bottled key lime juice and used 3/4 of an oz and it was good Now key limes are available in the market and again I used the juice of one (unmeasured) and shook lime shells along with the rest of the ingredients, WOW! Now that's better! So I believe that way back in '44 Trader Vic was using the Citris Aurantifolia or 'key lime'

View Profile of Rattiki Send a personal message to Rattiki  Email Rattiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-27 07:35 am   Permalink

OK. . . I'm gonna beat this horse some more!
We're all aware of the ingredients for the "$100 Mai Tai" and the purists in our midst strive for that 'perfect' libation - no argument there!

What if . . . you were on a strict budget . . . the $100 Mai Tai rums were out of the question . . . you've got your orgeat, your Orange Curacao, your Rock Candy Syrup, Limes, Mint sprig . . . but you've only got $40 to spend on the rum. That's it - $40 for two 750ML bottles of rum to blend for your Mai Tai. What do you do?
What readily-available rum or rums would you buy to create a "Decent" or relatively close clone to the $100 Mai Tai?

Have at it!

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-27 08:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-27 07:35, GentleHangman wrote:
. . . but you've only got $40 to spend on the rum. That's it - $40 for two 750ML bottles of rum to blend for your Mai Tai. What do you do?
What readily-available rum or rums would you buy to create a "Decent" or relatively close clone to the $100 Mai Tai?

I don't know about recreating the $100 mai tai but my favorites are:

Coruba for the dark

Cockspur Five Star or Mount Gay Barbados Sugar Cane Rum for the gold

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-29 05:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-27 07:35, GentleHangman wrote:
...but you've only got $40 to spend on the rum....

Well, this one is always the fun question because everyone has a different set of 'requirements' for thier rums. Here are a few tips that may or may not help:

The Mai-Tai was built to show off a single excellent rum. That rum is no longer available, so we now as standard practice mix two rums to try and balance the strengths and weaknesses of each. But, if you have a single excellent rum then by all means make your Mai-Tai with just the one rum.

This goes more for you home bar and less specifically to the Mai-Tai.... Buy the best you can afford always. If you are making drinks at home there is no reason you shouldn't be pouring the best you can afford. Even if you use Beachbum Berry's $100 recipe, your cost per drink is between $4 and $5 each, much less than you would spend at a bar and you get a much better drink. And, if buying the best you can afford excludes that 21 year old bottle of Appletons, well I like the Estate VX better anyway.

Now, having said all that..... If you are limited on funds but want to make a killer Mai-Tai; try Appleton Estate VX (black label). My second suggestion would be Mount Gay "Extra Old" or if you can find it try El Dorado 15 year Demerera. I like each of those poured as a single rum in a Mai-Tai and each comes in at under $40 at my local markets.

Try a few different rums as a single pour in a Mai-Tai and share with us what you discover.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation