FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Luau Miami Beach
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Luau Miami Beach
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-01 12:56 pm   Permalink

Tiki1963, thank you for answering the question on where the exact spot was. I drive down that street regularly and always wonder where was the Luau.

Quite the view from that spot too.

I wonder if the Wolfson Moving Picture Archive would have any footage of the Luau. They have local footage going back to the 50s.

[ This Message was edited by: I dream of tiki 2008-05-01 12:59 ]

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-02 11:45 am   Permalink

Here are a couple of grainy close ups of the Luau exterior as requested by Bigbro. There are some really odd Tikis and other creatures hanging around the front of the restaurant.

Here is the information on the back of the postcard. They claim to be "Florida's First and Finest Polynesian Restaurant"!

Note the "Saronged serving maidens in our new Surfboard Bar and Lounge" Sounds a lot like a Mai Kai copy cat to me!

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-02 3:09 pm   Permalink

Very nice, I really appreciate it. These close-ups support the hefty hunch I have that these sculptures might have been done by my favorite Miami bohemian sculptor, Lewis Van Dercar:

http://miamimemories.blogspot.com/2007/07/lewis-vandercar-miamis-andy-warhol.html

When I discovered that I had inadvertently featured him in the Book of Tiki, it led to one of the most fun threads that ever developed in these pages:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=7197&forum=1&start=0

...worth a read though a lot of links are dead now.

Will we ever find out?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoBeTiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-05-02 4:10 pm   Permalink

Yeah, I remember that Van DerCar post. It inspired me to check out the Pagan Island movie, which is great.

I came across a very interesting mention of the Luau in a web page that reprinted an issue of Cabaret Quarterly from 1956 which touts a tropical drink they claim was invented there.

Here's an exerpt:

MIAMI LOVES THE TROPICAL PINA PARDISE

Because of its geographical location and clime, Miami has taken on the lure of a modern-day tropical isle. Befitting this concept, this resort town has discovered that exotic potions are becoming increasingly popular. Number one on the sip parade is a tasty beverage originated by Sam Denning of Club Luau- Pina Paradise.

Here's the link, with some interesting Cabaret images...

http://www.cuban-exile.com/doc_201-225/doc0202.html

[ This Message was edited by: SoBeTiki 2008-05-02 19:43 ]

View Profile of SoBeTiki Send a personal message to SoBeTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-02 5:29 pm   Permalink

Dang BigBro,

You know everybody and everything! Thanks for the info on the Lewis Van Dercar.

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-02 8:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-02 16:10, SoBeTiki wrote:
I came across a very interesting mention of the Luau in a web page that reprinted an issue of Cabaret Quarterly from 1956 which touts a tropical drink they claim was invented there.

Here's the link, with some interesting Cabaret images...

http://www.cuban-exile.com/doc_201-225/doc0202.html

Nice "research" :

And now we know what Tiki Royale's folks were drinking:

"Club Luau- Pina Paradise:....Place above in Waring mixer until pineapple is blended. Add cracked ice. Mix well. Pour into hollowed-out pineapple and serve."

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-15 1:11 pm   Permalink

I found a matchbook from the Luau. It says "Reservations Suggested". After reading about the "Club Luau- Pina Paradise" drink I can see why!

1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-16 09:22 am   Permalink

The pictures I submitted for the Luau menu, the menu is for sale if anyone
is interested ,let me know.
Thanks,
Trader Bill

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-30 12:37 pm   Permalink

Picked up a Luau restaurant drink menu not long ago. It is a little different than the one posted by 1961surf. This one has a green cover and a few new specialty drinks on the menu such as the Miki Moto and Lovers Punch. Also nice drink descriptions on the back of the menu. I love the "Not Responsible - Your Own Your Own" category of drinks. Also lists drinks by "Trader Syd". Does anybody know who that was?

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-30 2:02 pm   Permalink

Neato. Dang I wonder if there are any photos anywhere of that wacky Van DerCar sculpture garden. Maybe if we could find Trader Syd...
C'mon Miami Tiki archeologists!

1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-02 08:51 am   Permalink

Dusty you picked that menu up cheap on ebay- nice score.Yours is a 1960's LUAU menu.
The one I still have for sale and shown in this thread is a 1950's LUAU menu.
Both are very cool and large sought after menus that don't come around for sale
very often.

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-02 09:21 am   Permalink

Looking at teh prices, most drinks around $1 or $2, I noticed the Barrel of Rum, which is $25! Did it come in an actual barrel?

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-02 11:56 am   Permalink

Swanky,

You are absolutely right - it is an actual barrel of rum! It includes a fresh lei for the king or queen of the table, sweet. I am really beginning to like the old Luau Restaurant.

Here is the close up of the menu item.

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-02 12:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-02 11:56, Dustycajun wrote:
Swanky,

You are absolutely right - it is an actual barrel of rum! It includes a fresh lei for the king or queen of the table, sweet. I am really beginning to like the old Luau Restaurant.

Here is the close up of the menu item.

Consider the average drink at the Mai Kai is around $10 and the Mystery Drink is about $45, and is the equivalent of about 4 drinks in price and alcohol content. Their average drink is just under $2... And it serves just 4-8? Man? I wonder how many they served of this!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pacifilantic

Posted: 2008-07-02 5:50 pm   Permalink

Do the Luau's menus happen to mention the appetizer that thrilled me as a child in the late 50's-early 60's? While my parents sipped their tropical rum drinks, the Luau's staff would bring to ME a smoking volcano! It was a large (at least 12" tall) conical mountain of shaved/crushed ice... fresh pineapple cubes, speared with toothpicks, covered the volcano's slopes. Apparently dry ice was inside the volcano, producing excellent "smoke" for quite a long time through a hole in the volcano's top. Everyone helped themselves to fresh pineapple at their leisure as the volcano smoked away in the center of the table. I was extremely impressed, and it probably successfully kept me from fidgeting during the cocktail phase before dinner.

View Profile of Pacifilantic Send a personal message to Pacifilantic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation