FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Luau Miami Beach
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Luau Miami Beach
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-01-03 6:24 pm   Permalink

Nice find, A-Frame!

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-17 10:56 pm   Permalink

The employment ad posted by Tiki Tom D for the saronged waitresses is really a classic and speaks to a different era.

I found an article from 1965 that featured a story of a young who responded to such an ad from the Luau.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-18 02:18 am   Permalink

What a difference a few decades make! At our restaurants, not only would we never mention appearance in our help wanted listings, (usually Craig's List), but we are careful in conversation to describe the ideal server as "attracting" rather than "attractive".

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-19 4:13 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the article, DC. My wife is a teacher. Can't remember her ever referring to her students as "youngsters". An odd thing, in today's language, for a 23 year old to say.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-19 4:16 pm   Permalink

And really, isn't the primary goal of teaching to instruct young people on how to entertain?!?

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-21 12:22 pm   Permalink

I am still hoping that one day good quality photos of the remodel with those amazing VanDercar sculptures will surface.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-07 7:25 pm   Permalink

Found a few more news clips that show there was a second Luau restaurant located in the Marco Polo Hotel.

It was called the Luau II.

Have not been able to find any photos or paper showing what it looked like. Tikis?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-15 1:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-01-21 12:22, bigbrotiki wrote:
I am still hoping that one day good quality photos of the remodel with those amazing VanDercar sculptures will surface.

Me too. Here is an ad from 1964 with Syd Mass and a rendering of the large Van Dercar Tiki and stylized huts that were out front of the restaurant. So the remodel occurred by at least 1964.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-06 11:30 am   Permalink

While not a picture, a little better image of the menu rendering with the Van Dercar remodel work.

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-06 1:34 pm   Permalink

Thank You DC, this rendering has a slightly different angle than the postcard photo:

The depiction of the porte-cochere nude statues and Tikis is not so clear on that menu either...

Didn't anybody find this art photo-worthy !? This place had the most VanDercar statues and landscaping besides his house, I would say.

Darn it, I wanna see DETAILS ! And while you're at it, find me good shot of this back bar mural, too !

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-19 6:49 pm   Permalink

Here is another night tour ad from the Luau with some nice graphics.

DC

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-19 7:54 pm   Permalink

Dusty the paper god strikes again....

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTomD
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-26 3:48 pm   Permalink

Really nice work, DC, fleshing out the Luau in living color!

I just happened to again run into our old friend, Trader Syd, in the Google news archives. Recall that in an earlier post, I inferred that the Luau may have gone out of business circa 1974 based on the lack of further archival references. This article lends credence to that, as even his Luau II restaurant, located in the Marco Polo Hotel, was no longer known by that name in early 1975; instead it had become the Gold Coin. And, it seems that Trader Syd’s life had taken a negative turn when his restaurant manager split with $15,000...

The Miami News February 28, 1975

This was not to be the inglorious end of the enterprising Sydney J. Mass, for he got into the green vehicle business way ahead of its time...

The Palm Beach Post October 26, 1984

Least you doubt that this Sydney Mass is the same as our Trader Syd, here is an eBay photo that clearly shows our man on the left (you can compare with photos posted earlier in this thread)...

Some more details on the up and coming Lectra-Matic Automobile Corporation of Miami, Florida...

Sarasota Herald-Tribune July 8, 1984

Poor Trader Syd; he was just too far ahead of his time, as the Lectra-Matic Automobile Corporation crashed and burned...

The Miami Herald January 5, 1987

-Tom

View Profile of TikiTomD Send a personal message to TikiTomD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-27 12:20 am   Permalink

Cool findings, Tom. Bummed I am stuck in the Foreign Legion for Hukilau.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-10 9:30 pm   Permalink

Stolen Tiki!

How does one move an 8-foot 500lb Tiki?

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation