FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Crazy AL Tiki !?! New stuff of old stuff? pg.19
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
Crazy AL Tiki !?! New stuff of old stuff? pg.19
FreddieBallsomic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-17 6:28 pm   Permalink

Beautiful carve, C'Al..

View Profile of FreddieBallsomic Send a personal message to FreddieBallsomic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VonTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-04-17 7:59 pm   Permalink

Absolutely awesome. You are so incredibley gifted, It's undeniable.

View Profile of VonTiki Send a personal message to VonTiki  Email VonTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-18 5:27 pm   Permalink

Nice Al! that #154 is sharp looking.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-20 10:18 pm   Permalink

bit more work... on "the Kellector: Mug-a-mania"
The 'Flordilea' and these Shamrocks on each shoulder are a tribute to Kelly's Husband who has helped just a bit... or put up with the 'mania'.

the abalone pedicure goes with the 'HooHa' for lack of a better word.

It was Don-o-mania Saturday Night at Tiki Yakie's Don the Beachcomber's Revival. There's about $700 or so in the eye-sockets and chest...DTB originals!! glad most the crowd had no clue....

wish i had better shots... was to much fun to take pitchers

[ This Message was edited by: crazy al 2009-04-20 22:24 ]

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-20 10:38 pm   Permalink

Nice work Al... all the bells, whistles and HooHas that make it so uniquely you!

Upping the ante on the toe nails too there!

Looks like a A-1 cut of palm that helps make your work shine.

See you in a couple of weeks at BooBens!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-21 08:33 am   Permalink

Looked positively Awesome in person!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-21 08:56 am   Permalink

American Tikiana at it's best!

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-21 09:27 am   Permalink

wow al, the detail work you put into your stuff is great. gives me incentive to do better. just gotta find the time for it.

bd

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-04-21 10:08 am   Permalink

GROG can't wait to set it on fire at the beach burn.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula

Posted: 2009-04-22 4:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-04-20 22:18, crazy al wrote:
bit more work... on "the Kellector: Mug-a-mania"
The 'Flordilea' and these Shamrocks on each shoulder are a tribute to Kelly's Husband who has helped just a bit... or put up with the 'mania'.

the abalone pedicure goes with the 'HooHa' for lack of a better word.

It was Don-o-mania Saturday Night at Tiki Yakie's Don the Beachcomber's Revival. There's about $700 or so in the eye-sockets and chest...DTB originals!! glad most the crowd had no clue....

wish i had better shots... was to much fun to take pitchers

[ This Message was edited by: crazy al 2009-04-20 22:24 ]

** AWESOME Tiki Crazy Al! Rob Reilly was pretty stoked once he saw the tiki in the real life. Rob is not very familiar with tiki at all but I could tell that night he was feeling like a proud daddy He met lots of people that night and was able to put faces with the names, not a easy task as most of us go by at least 2 names.
I cant take my eyes off of her Al, shes one hell of a gal that #155 and she still got some work to go. With #155 being so family oriented I'm in ah of the fact that this Tiki will be around for generations to come. But for now, this year, I look forward to getting my add-on room done and bringing her home. It's kind of like paper dolls or tiki dress up it's going to be fun to continually rotate mugs with-in her "dress to impress" for what ever the occasion might be. So many choices!
Thank You Al, This is with out a doubt one of my life's greatest pleasures.

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-22 8:11 pm   Permalink

Can you bring him to another Coon Tiki?

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
haikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-24 8:05 pm   Permalink

Servus Al, nice to see your new work. Hope you are doing well! It´s time for a bahia cannonball session.
Today, I met Joe at Munich for a Rum Runner and we had a nice rememberance on our last Hukilau pool party.
Greetings from Bavaria, Haikai

View Profile of haikai Send a personal message to haikai  Email haikai Goto the website of haikai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Watango productions
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-25 03:08 am   Permalink

AL,I started of as Watango but I threw in the productions in Homage
to you. You truly are a river to your people:tiki:Watango

[ This Message was edited by: Watango productions 2009-04-25 03:10 ]

View Profile of Watango productions Send a personal message to Watango productions  Email Watango productions     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-25 07:27 am   Permalink

You keep showing us why You are The BEST!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-23 11:41 pm   Permalink

some new ones for the back yard.....

CrazyAL Tiki #157 "Two to Four Face" was a request to see this tiki from the back as well as front since it's location in the backyard would be center, seen from the deck as well as out the back door. I know there were some Shag mugs produced recently with this interlocking Marquasian faces. I actually have in a box for the last 11 years a drawing of an interlocking Tongan face design on a piece of Yucca i never sculpted. I sent the client a Hawaiian design that was just less interesting then the Marquasian which lent itself to being seen from four sides.

Another 'quickie' CrazyAL Tiki #157 "Akua Kai PV"
This client found the Hawaiian Tiki online Akua Kai the Ocean God.
after carving i found this image
Since he owns a boat and spear fishes often, he thought this tiki would be better then the 'Tiki-ish' ones he liked on my site.

Palm talk: this is a queen palm 'old growth' that had to be cut do to trunk rot.
Queen i believe is in the coconut family and the outer two inches can be polished to look like coconut wood. Even unpolished it patinas quite well.

However the inside can be to soft to carve. 'Old growth' dense trees are the better carving... check out how oxidied the 'raw' wood got while I let is sit for a week or two before sanding and finish up... this tree was cut long ago, but the wood was as wet as a ever.

however, full sun will bleach anything suck as the top turned white... these cracks are typical for queen, but this old growth prevented them from going very deep... we've had our moist SoCal June, so maybe the cracking will not get to crazy.

The week of the initial carve, Akua Kai Palos Verdes did it's job... an excited client sent these photos taken just off the cliff from his residence in the background!

Go! Little Akua Kai PV!!

----
always skeptical of "Hawaiian Tiki Names" i found this out... Akua Kia is Hawaiin for God-Sea... and is attributed to the figure i worked off found on most Tiki-super-stores online...
however there is not much info for Akua Kai but there is for KANALOA

KANALOA was a god of the ocean, and certain types of healing, crafts and other cultural practices.
KANALOA represented a state of total confidence, or what in modern terms could be called "inner authority." In Hawaiian culture, hair is a symbol of thought. On this KANALOA figure the hair is piled high on top and extends all the way to the ground. This symbolizes the integration of imagination and memory, or the integration of body, mind and spirit.
http://www.sergeking.com/HAM/kanaloa.html

Kanaloa was responsible for the southern Pacific Ocean and as such was god of seamen and lord of fishermen.
http://www.paulwaters.com/gods.htm

In the mythology of old Hawaii, Kanaloa was the god of the ocean, a healer god, and the close companion of Kane, the god of creation. They would journey together, share the sacred drink of 'awa, and use their staves to strike the ground and cause springs of fresh water to burst forth. Rare statues of Kanaloa feature him with round eyes,
http://www.huna.org/html/ekanaloa.html

Kanaloa, like Kahoali‘i, is also associated with the underworld, as in the chant in which Hawaii is spoken of as "fished up from the very depths of Kanaloa."
http://www.sacred-texts.com/pac/hm/hm07.htm

refered to as this image... thanks to the missionaries... who knows!

[ This Message was edited by: crazy al 2009-06-24 08:57 ]

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation