FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Crazy AL Tiki !?! New stuff of old stuff? pg.19
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
Crazy AL Tiki !?! New stuff of old stuff? pg.19
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-24 12:16 am   Permalink

two to four
say no more,brah!

Excellent tiki with all four compass points!
and "Akua Kai PV" !
a nice stocky lono for a change!

high caliber as always,Al!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-24 06:54 am   Permalink

Is that Queen Palm still in the ground? Both are excellent.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-24 07:12 am   Permalink

Wow! And also, Wow! Incredible work. And the Four Face is just out of this world. Very inspiring Al, thanks!

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-24 08:31 am   Permalink

Excellent Al! 2 side tiki love it'

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-24 09:06 am   Permalink

all your work is so amazing...!
I looove "the Kellector: Mug-a-mania", very very cool concept, design, execution, pedicure... everything about him is spectacular!...

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-24 1:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-23 23:41, crazy al wrote:

always skeptical of "Hawaiian Tiki Names" i found this out... Akua Kia is Hawaiin for God-Sea... and is attributed to the figure i worked off found on most Tiki-super-stores online...
however there is not much info for Akua Kai but there is for KANALOA

KANALOA was a god of the ocean, and certain types of healing, crafts and other cultural practices.

KANALOA And TANGAROA are two spelling for the same deity. Although the images of the two tiki may look different, many of the legends are the same throughout polynesia. The Hawaiian language doesn't use the letters T G and R. Replacing them with the K and the L you get Kanaloa.

Nice carves, I like the four way Marq better than the devolved super-store Kanaloa, both are killer. Thanks for posting the pics.

View Profile of AlienTiki Send a personal message to AlienTiki  Goto the website of AlienTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-25 10:03 am   Permalink

thanks for the info... like a word puzzle that was pretty easy to see, but i was never good at the word games... hated that 'wheel of fortune'

The Bishop Hawaiian sculpture book does not assign names to the images.... probably knowing the true knowledge was lost long ago.

[ This Message was edited by: crazy al 2009-06-25 10:04 ]

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-07 1:47 pm   Permalink

just got my tiki mag! pretty exciting to see and read about my 2 tikis. i'm working on my tiki room now. i'll cut a 7" section of a palm log i have that's the same diameter as the tikis. it'll go between the tikis and i'll wrap it in tapa or something. then vantiki's trepanning accident skull mug goes in teethgrabbers mouth. the totem will go from the floor to the ceiling.

that's bosko the puppy checking it out.

bangin' my slit gong drum until the cops come!

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kirby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-07 3:21 pm   Permalink

Hey al,As you know your my hero..that was a great article..mahalo mahalo mahalo..I wish i could say more but im at a loss for words, Your the greatest...all time..
Bullet that sounds like a great idea..Im glad mines on top where it belongs..hahaha j/k

Kirby's Island.com****Facebook**

View Profile of kirby Send a personal message to kirby  Email kirby Goto the website of kirby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PalmCityTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-07 5:22 pm   Permalink

Thanks Al for posting the creative impressions that your talented hands create. It has inspired me and many others to push past the standard and really try to achieve something greater.....

You style and creative use of shadows has truly sparked a creative fire with me... Thank you and please post more as you create...

View Profile of PalmCityTiki Send a personal message to PalmCityTiki  Email PalmCityTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitony
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-08-07 11:43 pm   Permalink

Hey Great carving, and good article. I forgot that I carved you the skull stack necklace. Another weird evolution/ recreation of the skull stack in the very same issue of Tiki Mag is from the featured Tiki Room at Alan and Michael's.

Alan had seen my stacked skull necklace that was inspired by your piece originally. And he wanted stacked skulls on either side of the mirror in his Tiki bar. Thanks for all the inspiration! It was 10 years ago that I saw my first Crazy Al necklace while visiting family in HB... I can still remember the detail in that necklace. I had no money at the time (I was 18) and I think because I couldn't buy it, I went on to carve my own when I got home. I just kept picturing this "CRAZY" Al person whittling under some palm tree on some remote island, and singing to himself.... I wasn't that far off!

Live like a Beachcomber!
www.TikiTony.com www.facebook.com/tikitonybeachcomber

View Profile of tikitony Send a personal message to tikitony  Email tikitony Goto the website of tikitony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigToe
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-08-10 09:08 am   Permalink

dayum Al, i have having night sweats worrying about getting to TO-9 and finding ur surfer-tiki hook sold-out! hopefully i will sell something in time to git the last one!

congrats on ANOTHER amazing carve.

View Profile of BigToe Send a personal message to BigToe  Email BigToe Goto the website of BigToe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-10 12:36 pm   Permalink

THANKS ALL!! Kirb? you keep making stuff! and it gets better! Tony!! i wanted to write about Alan's post to, but TM brought the hammer down on my long winded writing... Wish they could have put in the progression of Ken's Cannibals as the skull obsession multiplied.

AND KING-T THANKS FOR ALL THE SUPPORT!!

got to post on Kelly's piece and more 'back yard' tikis!! been carving!

after Oasis.........

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-30 5:31 pm   Permalink

been getting the carving on this summer...staring with #157 'Akua Kai PV'

what do you get if you have a potted plant holder that is an old growth queen palm stump ??

CrazyAL Tiki #159 'Kaneokekai'

My fisherman client had another stump to grace the pool area. After explaining to him that Marquasian tikis are ancestor based, he told me this "My Dad was given the name of Kaneokekai by a native Hawaiian elder in the sixties. It means "man of the sea"....He went on to name all of his boats Kaneokekai and it's what we plan to name this tiki ." So Tiki#159 became a tribute tiki.

Queen palm sure is pur'dy... this tree was real dense even though the dark resin cords were not pack together very tightly. It made for dramatic effects!

Here is a lesson in carving. I spent about 3 hours just drawing out the Marquasis design because i wanted to get a very symmetrical carving in a great piece of wood....

Tiki #160 is called the "2 Hour Tiki" !!

strangely enough, this guy turned out very symmetrical..?

back story:
a client had a tree dropped at their place of work... Hey AL? do you think you could carve this?? it's kinda big and in the bed of my truck... I thought maybe, I'd have to take a look...come to find out after sometime and the logs 50 mile trip to Bamboo Ben's parking lot pool party... that the thing weighed 1100 lbs!! my worst fear! since I own no heavy equipment!! well, we could slide it into my truck I bet, since the 'showing end' seemed carvable... 500 lbs into my truck I can tell the 'hidden end' was uncarvable... 1100 of water not wood??... now what?... I took the log, but I knew I did not want to think of unloading it (having already damaged my truck before with logs)... and my suspension was maxed! Danny Diablo said go slow, just don't hit a bump... right... I thought there is only one way to know if there is any carvable wood in this log and I did have to get some weight out of my truck!...

a 7ft log was now a 4ft log but still not of a good density...hmmm??...

one way to find out if I could carve it, and remove more weight!

so much for a swim w/ TCers... thank God that Ben had a chainsaw on hand!!

the walls to the bed of my truck kind of gave me a good guide-line and created the symmetry..
THREE BEARDED FELLOWS...

lesson two: Location Location Location
same basic carve in soft wood, but it took 6 hrs instead of 2!!

perched on a steep embankment

10-12 feet in the air... hmmm? flip flops on an extension ladder with a chainsaw! speed is an issue...

the wood was to wet and hairy to draw on so a drew with the chainsaw, which I do normally with budget restraints. I also knew the wood of this immature Canary Islands palm would be if'fy at best, so i was not going for a master-piece.

the bark/wood was so wet that I could ring out the shavings like a dish towel.
but a good carving was had as wet wood holds together! and there would be no direct sunlight on the North-face, so cracking should not be massive... let us hope!!

by the way, note to carvers... This summer's 'stump' carving cemented an idea that I've formed that palms have a 'Sunny side' to them... palms regularly have one side that carves much nicer then the other side because of the density of the wood. I knew it was a water problem, but I wondered if this was do to the log laying down horizontal and gravity taking effect after it was cut... OR? was one side of the tree 'baked' by the sun while growing... Well? every stump this summer had it's sunny side denser then its other side! Ha!
This stump was a great example as the 'shady side' almost dripped water.

You've got to love the backyard homes of these tikis! the client did the landscaping him self... nice!!

lesson 3: this carve was near SanDiego, i carved 6 hrs but was away from my home/studio for 12! talk about Billable time issue...

Lesson 4!! I forgot to 'WD-40' Ben's chain-saw blade after carving such wet wood... ooops.... it got kind-da rusty and don't move so good now....

[ This Message was edited by: crazy al 2009-08-31 07:42 ]

TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-30 8:40 pm   Permalink

Some awesome stuff happening here Al! Great work all around.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation