FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Crazy AL Tiki !?! New stuff of old stuff? pg.19
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
Crazy AL Tiki !?! New stuff of old stuff? pg.19
kirby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-19 1:20 pm   Permalink

Great representation of that tiki.. Its strange to see you take a Tiki that realy doesnt have alot of detail and sculpt a mini version that looks exactly the same, but actually has a ton of detail...awesome work as always, dude..By the way this guy looks a little small for a mug,is it a shot glass or a pendant?

View Profile of kirby Send a personal message to kirby  Email kirby Goto the website of kirby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-09-19 1:31 pm   Permalink

It says "Ape Shot", Kirbs.

Quote:

On 2009-09-19 12:56, crazy al wrote:
Well, I always say Happy Birthday! a day late so it doesn't get lost with all the other accolades...
So, HAPPY TENTH BIRTHDAY!! to The Third APE Tiki and the First Palm Wood Tiki carved for APE on 9-18-99!!!!

http://tikimania.com/docs/bt_ape3.html
The FIRST palm wood tiki was carved ten years ago yesterday!! and to commemorate I whacked out MINI_APE!

another replica for the CrazyAL Gallery Line of mugs!! An APE Shot! first of many I hope....

LIMITED TO 50!! then I brake the mold!
to get this guy looking right, but functional! I gave him a bit more on the top end

then I started whacking at it!! with a 'blade' that was about the same size-proportion as the axe that almost 'competently' sculpted the original! ten years to the day.

my hope was to finish the face in the same amount of time the original set lasted at 'Planet Tiki'! Otto's first major official tiki-event!! about 30 some minutes!! then because they were running late.. frick'in Otto pulled the plug on APE in the middle of a song... or at least as we started a song... we wanted to finish our planed set! and I, my tiki. as it was I basically finished!

and was able to put about 9-12 detail 'chisel' marks before being booted....!

The back of the mini-sculpt took twice, if not four times, as long to sculpt a pretty decent representation of the actual palm tree bark texture...

The full story of these first two guys will be in the winter issue of tiki magazine... till then, I'm going APE taking a shot! at APE-3!!

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kirby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-19 1:40 pm   Permalink

Ha, I thought he was sayin here is a shot(pic),my bad!!

View Profile of kirby Send a personal message to kirby  Email kirby Goto the website of kirby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
domin
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-09-19 1:53 pm   Permalink

i wasn't too sure on the big one, i was thinking 'this from crazy al?' but the little one is really pretty awesome even tho its the same thing, crazy.

View Profile of domin Send a personal message to domin      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kirby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-19 2:05 pm   Permalink

You just have to remember,Crazy Al carved the original while onstage dancing around like a nut,carving to the beat of the music with an ax or chisel and in only 30 minutes, realy amazing to see in person..When is Apes next show??

Kirby's Island.com****Facebook**

crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-19 2:19 pm   Permalink

APE's next show??? Hmmm.. we're regrouping the troop so stay tuned for future gigs.... that's all i can say right now.

Thanks for the description Kirb! i'd add that this was my first palm on-stage carving... i learned a huge deal with this first one... i have to get back to writing about it... but i'll tell you this... PALM BARK absorbs sound like a sponge, i guess since it it a sponge more or less... not good if your supposed to be drumming along to a loud amplified band.... in front of 800 some people!

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-19 2:57 pm   Permalink

Well... they don't call you Crazy Al for nothing! The artistic ability to mimic the original, down to the very imperfections and details of the palm bark is fantastic. The artistic control to not render Ape Shot to a level of what it could've/should've been is staggering. A great homage for a 10th anniversary!

[ This Message was edited by: TikiMango 2009-09-19 14:58 ]

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pjc5150
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-20 10:30 am   Permalink

WOW.

Just tuning in to this thread.

Holy crap.....I'm speechless.

Thank you Crazy AL.

I am truly inspired.

Amazing stuff man.

View Profile of pjc5150 Send a personal message to pjc5150      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-21 08:08 am   Permalink

Happy BirthDay Ape, Al, Carving or whoever the b-day was really 4.
Cool stuff but what took you so long,,30 minutes? could've done it in 20 at last!
Where did I hear you had a Bone carving in the works?.....?

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-27 6:27 pm   Permalink

there once was a grove of eight trees

who's shade made a nice cool breeze.
But the stand of logs, made it tempting to carve these dawgs
and a deleting could be the need...

So out came the cutter to please

to enjoy the last of the shade and the breeze.
With a rip and slash as he went, little time was all spent
for the blank canvas one now sees.

Face book gallery of Tikis #162-65:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/album.php?aid=24272&id=1485764506
if you ever want to make friends... just carve tikis on the street! folks love it... gets you in the paper too!

http://www.presstelegram.com/ci_13781691?source=rv
they also put up a gallery on-line...
http://presstelegram.mycapture.com/mycapture/folder.asp?event=888066&CategoryID=28570&ListSubAlbums=0

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drasticwagon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-27 6:46 pm   Permalink

Al you are the coolest tiki carver I don't know.

[ This Message was edited by: drasticwagon 2009-11-27 18:46 ]

View Profile of drasticwagon Send a personal message to drasticwagon  Goto the website of drasticwagon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-27 9:28 pm   Permalink

Dontcha love that free press. Cool stuff "lazy Al Strikes again"!
Well Don C'Al, I Know how you love performing in front of the Audience and they Really got their moneys worth this time. Those are some Awesome tikis.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-28 09:13 am   Permalink

you are one Crazy MoFo!

Talented,Skilled....but still Crazy!

what can i say that you don't already know?
rockin!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-28 6:45 pm   Permalink

Great stuff Al!

I love how the gears are always turning with you when you see a log or tree.

Pu'uhonua o Honaunau is a great inspiration for this grove of palms, and I love how you ran with the idea.

I look forward to seeing this creation in person someday soon!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seagoat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-30 11:19 am   Permalink

Nice work Crazy Al. That is right down the road from me and I go by it every day. I got a quick glance while going by but didn't have a chance to stop. Wished I would've stopped by while you were out there. Nice addition to the neighborhood.

View Profile of seagoat Send a personal message to seagoat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation