FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Crazy AL Tiki !?! New stuff of old stuff? pg.19
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
Crazy AL Tiki !?! New stuff of old stuff? pg.19
canyonlaketiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-03-22 9:07 pm   Permalink

Amazing, Some of the best work I seen/studied. WOW!

View Profile of canyonlaketiki Send a personal message to canyonlaketiki  Goto the website of canyonlaketiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tok-tok
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-23 05:10 am   Permalink

Hi crazy al,
man, that was a lot to read. Very interessing stories and thoughts behind your carvings. That is a very artistic way you come to your conclusions. I was visiting TIKIMANIA long before I came here and always saluted the unique style of yours. Very inspiring.

View Profile of tok-tok Send a personal message to tok-tok      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-03-23 1:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-19 19:23, crazy al wrote:
Here's CrazyAL Tiki#141 "the Bird Dance"
http://tikimania.com/docs/bt_141.html

So I decided to do an idea I've had for many years!!
Tiki#141 would be another exploration into Cross-Polynesi-ation such as Tiki#13 "Keeper of the Charm" sitting Buddha style. However, Tiki#141 would be inspired by these Hindu images

I thought I was all original, and unique, and creative, and every thing else I tried to be with my Buddha like Tiki#13 in 1998. Then, within a year or two, I found this flier in the Limbo Lounge... what the????
I guess someone else had this idea to mix things up.
This one legged stance is something I've taken on personally since 1990 or so... using it many times in self-portraits during school... and photo ops ever since...(dang psychic Ben)

As I stated, I don't usually know what my tikis will end up looking like. I start with a general idea that I will sketch onto the log. This time, with a commission at hand, and a complex sculpt in the works, I did this drawing for the client.

the 'tusk' of the original Hindu-influence concept remained in the finish piece

However, as I was starting the sculpt, a visiting friend stated to me, "you're actually going to sculpt it in a 'Kung-Fu' pose??"
From then on... the project really went to the birds...

Absolutely A self portrait! I think you definitely should carve it!! All in name of Good Legacy! like Vincent Van Gogh or even Norman Rockwell...
Great carve for all Museum Shows...
P.S. Don't give away anymore tips haha... But, "If it were SO easy, everyone would do it"

[ This Message was edited by: Hiphipahula 2008-03-23 13:10 ]

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-23 11:20 pm   Permalink

You're a bad motherf*cker, Al! Hukilau!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-24 12:59 pm   Permalink

Bad M-Fer...? or bad business man?? the limited commission of Tiki#13s i did with a shop in the
Philippines might have expanded on their own?? Thanks to Tiki Diablo... i found #13s here in LA... better then the ones i ever got?? with my name caved on the back!!! i never got any like that either...

I knew this would happen... but not the putting my name on the back??
It's my sinister plot to take over 'Tiki' with CrazyAL clones!!!!

BambooBen just sent me this Tonga Tiki!!!??? $400
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/mau/clt/611459408.html

lovely tiki!! (but not as nice as the ones here in LA)
however, this is not Tongan or any other Polynesian tiki... it is a Poly-Pop tiki originally carved in LA, Mainland, by white boy from Phoenix AZ... hee hee... read all about it in the next Tiki Magazine.

this tiki is an unauthorized copy by Philippine carvers who did a limited number for me in 04-05 and may still make them with-out my knowledge.

here is the original tiki that I covered in 1998... completely my own design from head to Foot!!
http://tikimania.com/docs/bt_13.html

years ago this was posted to TC by a carver...

the same guy did this one i believe

the 'graphic-outline-style' of the mouths of my tikis is describes in my TM article on Tiki#11... i think i mention my first devotee...tree trimmer Jeff.. who i think did this guy found on the beach here in Huntington Beach.

Jeff, who in-turn inspired another tree trimmer, now carver, 'Tiki-king' (not the TC TikiKing)... Who i mention that took my graphic mouth outline and put Mai Tiki teeth inside... so Tiki-King inspired this HB carver TikiTony

who inspired this unknown lesser carver...

the Tiki-king guy also inspired this OC carver from Fountain Valley, Gary?.
Who's CO. is actually called 'Tikimania' if you can believe that???... but his website is 'Tikimaker' for the obvious.

This TikiMaker makes the bar stools for TikiBar...

i thought this was a 'CrazyAL Style' but maybe it should be called an "HB style"

enough on this for now... more later...

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-24 7:04 pm   Permalink

Kudos, Al...Hence what has been said here earlier many times (and often lambasted) referring to some tiki carvers out there in the world who can only seem to draw inspiration from other tiki carvers and not their own efforts/brainpower/investment to go out and study the wellspring of Polynesian art and carving indenpendently on their own. What is the end result? Copies of copies of copies of other people's styles. It pisses me off and has happened to me several times as well. Wayne Coombs, God bless him-the guy can hardly move without ten bandwagon-jumping copycats on his tail. He said he has to change his style every year. Forging your name on imposters is an even newer low.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-24 7:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-24 19:04, Basement Kahuna wrote:
Kudos, Al...Hence what has been said here earlier many times (and often lambasted) referring to some tiki carvers out there in the world who can only seem to draw inspiration from other tiki carvers and not their own efforts/brainpower/investment to go out and study the wellspring of Polynesian art and carving indenpendently on their own. What is the end result? Copies of copies of copies of other people's styles. It pisses me off and has happened to me several times as well. Wayne Coombs, God bless him-the guy can hardly move without ten bandwagon-jumping copycats on his tail. He said he has to change his style every year. Forging your name on imposters is an even newer low.

Cheers BK!

lol!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-24 8:28 pm   Permalink

"imitation is the most sincere form of flattery" so i keep telling Bamboo Ben...

Picasso is said to have imitated the masks imported from Africa... and started a whole 'new' movement... today Mark Ryden took the '60's - 70's big eyed child paintings of 'my' child hook memories and now you can't spit without hitting a 'painter' specializing in giant doe'ie eyed characters/or subjects.. and on it goes...

although i did not realize i was doing it till i sat down to wright the article on #11... I may have been influenced buy the Kachina Dolls of my Southwestern roots...look at this...a similarity that i found years after i carved #55

Hmmm very similar...
and i doubt that Japanese SiFi artist knew they were doing this??

or did they.... art is all inspiration from some where..

[ This Message was edited by: crazy al 2008-03-24 20:30 ]

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-24 9:30 pm   Permalink

I hear ya and raise you 5!

Can't wait for the flattery. lol!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-25 10:54 am   Permalink

Confucious say "Out of house borrowing good, but less in-house borrowing breed much better eye candy in end".
Member #490

crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-13 10:43 am   Permalink

Great PalmSprings weekend!

nice to sit in the pool and not vend this time out!

so... how about a MaiTai with this gal?

or these folks???

add this spooky chick...

and a fun little Menehune!!! and smile!!!

Mai Tai Roa Ae!! folks!!!

Wish I had a pick of this frosty treat during the show... complete with true recipe and fresh mint!! Thanks to Soccer Tiki!!! too busy enjoying a TV Mai Tai of my own!!

CrazyAL Tiki#144!! Est. 1944!! "Keeper of the Mia Tai"!!!

Mai Tai back story here:
http://www.tradervics.com/maitaistory-0.html

Nice placement in the gallery JAY!!!

Kind of a Ten Year Anv. Salute to CrazyAL Tiki#13 "Keeper of the Charm" Est. 1998
http://tikimania.com/docs/bt_13.html
read all about how I developed this Buddha Tiki in the last to issues of Tiki magazine.

Here's the start of something Big.... 600-800 lbs??? who knows

[ This Message was edited by: crazy al 2008-05-13 11:30 ]

The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-13 10:57 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: The Sperm Whale 2008-05-13 10:58 ]

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-05 4:23 pm   Permalink

I finally got a page up for the 5 in One...
Crazy AL Tiki #107 "Lee Tiki Tree"

http://tikimania.com/docs/bt_107.html

and new mug!!

The tiki tikifies the family of Father, Mother, two daughters and son as well as future descendants.

[ This Message was edited by: crazy al 2008-06-05 16:28 ]

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-05 5:38 pm   Permalink

I don't KNow Al. you think you can get Any more Intricate? How's a good upstanding carver supposed to Copy that, Tone it down a little, give those guys a chance?
Probably the Most Unbelievable Mug ever was out there. I gotta have one of theze.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-05 6:00 pm   Permalink

How lucky are we, that you choose to do this with your talent and not something more mundane and mainstream? I'm sure some of these objects will end up in a museum someday.
That tiki is one of my absolute favourites, as is the work Ben did on the room it's in. Mindblowing...somehow I will have to get one of these mugs.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation