FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Jungalero Lounge featured in IMBIBE magazine (NEW PHOTO)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
Jungalero Lounge featured in IMBIBE magazine (NEW PHOTO)
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-09 05:22 am   Permalink

A horseshoe crab sconce? Great idea, never heard that one before. Is this a first?

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KreepyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-09 07:13 am   Permalink

Aloha, Brad! My proverbial hat is off to you, sir!

I'm still tryin' to catch my breath after viewing this thread for the first time! Whoah! Your Jungalero Lounge is off-the-charts AMAZING! It's not just top-tier, it's Bamboo Ben/Forbidden Island top-tier!

As an enthusiastic newbie to all this, who's just spent the last year doing a fairly elaborate tiki-on-a-budget transformation of what had been an ordinary bedroom into my own lil' South Sea Island paradise (you can check out my recent "Paradise Cove Tiki Lounge" posts on this same forum), I bow in admiration to your remarkable skill.

And just when I thought there's no more I could do with my own wee hideaway, you've managed to go and re-inspire me to new levels of mania! So I don't know whether to thank you or curse you, but you've left a mighty deep impression on me, that's for damn sure!

Well, I guess that's it for now. I'll just crawl into a little hole and seethe with envy for a while...

View Profile of KreepyTiki Send a personal message to KreepyTiki  Email KreepyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-09 08:46 am   Permalink

Very Cool Brad!
i think you may be on to something!
Ingenious you are!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-09 08:55 am   Permalink

It has so much going for it. The great glow, the sealife a la puffers and turtle shells, plus a sort of creepiness factor like a shrunken head. I greatly dig it. Amazed no one did one before.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-27 9:02 pm   Permalink

The Jungalero makes local news. A friend of a friend who is a reporter recommended contacting me about my tiki bar and possibly doing a story awhile back. The reporter called last monday and asked if he could come do a story on Friday (this past) so I said, 'sure!"

He probably took 15 minutes of video and I went into all kinds of detail but it got edited down to these few seconds. Full story with pics comes out tomorrow morn (mon-28). Hoping they didn't edit too much but I'm expecting it as I had alot to say. The photographer must have taken at least several hundred photos, inside and out but I'll be lucky to see maybe 2 in the newspaper. We'll see how it goes in the morn.

Had Tikyaki Orchestra playing in background while the reporter and photographer were there. Bar was a little on the slack side so I was sippin' Myers w/ seltzer and lime with a sprig of mint in a Hukilau 2004(? I think) mug.

Jeeez, i sound like such a hick! But I AM originally from Gee-or-gee-a! ---But I can sing just like Johnny Cash!!!!

I'll post newpaper article tomorrow, providin' they didn't edit me into utter stupidity! Link below.

http://www.charleston.net/videos/2008/jul/28/504/

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-27 9:02 pm   Permalink

edited due to double posting....

[ This Message was edited by: Howland 2008-07-27 21:05 ]

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-28 05:32 am   Permalink

Cool - betcha enjoyed your work getting the attention it deserves. Congrats.

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-28 08:17 am   Permalink

The printed version came out in this morns paper. A little sliced and diced and not everything I had to say made it in and somethings I didn't say did make it in. I never would've used the word 'fad' and I don't really have a 'goat board'. But all in all it has a nice, positive vibe to it. Coulda been worse. We've all seen reporters trash the tiki style before.

here's the link to the online version of todays paper:
http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/jul/28/man_resurrects_tiki_fad48936/

The Curse of Howland Island

little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-28 08:25 am   Permalink

Congrats Brad!
It's always a kick when a fellow arteest gets some well-deserved props!
and believe me folks....
he CAN sing like Johnny Cash!
it's uncanny!

www.KENRUZIC.COM is Open to the Public!
(Which i update every so often)
I'm on FaceBook too-Go cheggitout!)

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-28 09:19 am   Permalink

Hey congrats! the jungalero lounge looks great on video! But they don't show all of it, do they?
So everything started because of a single mug, when was that? poor Alice she is such a great wife !

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-28 09:34 am   Permalink

Wow, Howland, that's awesome, and thanx for "representin' for the T.O. " as the kids would say...

The Junglero Lounge is a huge credit to Home Tiki Enthusiasts everywhere.

JonPaul needs to shoot your place (photos, that is)

Yea, FAD is a lame word, but at least thhey didn't say "Kitsch" for a change.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiyaki 2008-07-28 09:47 ]

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-29 08:07 am   Permalink

I have learned there is no better way to get your house clean than to have people over. Have an indoor/outdoor event, and you yard gets cleaned up too. So, having the media show up at your Tiki bar, well, that's gonna get you in all kinds of preparations!

Represented well! Thanks for flashing the Hukilau 2004 mug in there too...

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-01 09:35 am   Permalink

Thanx LLT- I hear that train a comin'.......

Thanx Clarita. No they didn't show everything and they didn't show any of the outside. It all really started way back when I was a child on family vacations to places like Disney (Enchanted Tiki Room, Polynesian Village) and other tropical themed resorts, etc. I ran across a tiki mug yeeeeears later (around 1994 or 95) then the nostalgia aspect kicked in. In fact, I just remembered, when we got home from Disney in 1973 I went in the back yard with my dad's flat chisel and a claw hammer and carved my first 'tiki face' into a live tree. Basically just a smiley face. I'd like to see what it looks like now!

Tikiyaki--my pleasure representin' the TO. One of my faves to play in the Jungalero--perfect! JP has an open invite to shoot anytime!

Swank--I spent a couple of hundred dollars on plants, a concrete border for the patios and bought a pile of fresh fruit, none of which made it into the news, It was stuff that needed to be done though. I thought you'd enjoy my mug selection for the article.

Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-02 05:12 am   Permalink

Hello Mr. H, that's a mighty beautiful bar you got there. Mighty beautiful .
Would you be willing to field a few questions about the simulated bamboo bar edge you built? Could you share some details about how it was created? It's just amazing how cool it looks.

It appears to be two layers of wood (upper and lower) that were sandwiched for thickness. Is that correct?

What did you do to introduce the curve on it? (wood?...curve, curve? wood)
Was it simply cut out of a large piece of wood as a curve or did you bend it somehow?

What was the painting/finishing process? Did you use a glaze as well?

Thanks very much for any tips you can pass along.
You do great work.

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-05 8:16 pm   Permalink

BUMP! Whatchoo workin on Brad?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation