FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Jungalero Lounge featured in IMBIBE magazine (NEW PHOTO)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
Jungalero Lounge featured in IMBIBE magazine (NEW PHOTO)
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-11 10:33 pm   Permalink

Bump bump

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-12 07:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-02 05:12, Mr. Pupu Pants wrote:
Hello Mr. H, that's a mighty beautiful bar you got there. Mighty beautiful .
Would you be willing to field a few questions about the simulated bamboo bar edge you built? Could you share some details about how it was created? It's just amazing how cool it looks.

It appears to be two layers of wood (upper and lower) that were sandwiched for thickness. Is that correct?

What did you do to introduce the curve on it? (wood?...curve, curve? wood)
Was it simply cut out of a large piece of wood as a curve or did you bend it somehow?

What was the painting/finishing process? Did you use a glaze as well?

Thanks very much for any tips you can pass along.
You do great work.

Hey Mr. PPP, sorry for the delayed reply but here's some answers for you. It's actually 3 layers of wood that wrap the edge of the bar -top and bottom. The bar top is 1.5" thick so for the middle piece I used a 2x12 (which is really only 1.5"thick). The top and bottom layers are only 3/4 " thick. I laid the 2x12 across the top of the bar edge and transferred the curve of the bar top to the bottom of the 2x12 with a pencil then with a compass set to 2", I drew another line following the line transferred from the bar top to give me a 2" wide x 1.5" thick curved area to cut out. Basically repeated the process with the 3/4" wood but using the 2x1.5 cutout and cut the 3/4" pieces 3" wide to provide a 1" overlap on the top and bottom of the bar edge. Hope this makes sense, starting to sound jumbly to me. Also the 2x12 didn't cover the entire length of the bar so there is actually a joint in the faux bamboo edging about 3/4 down the length of the bar. I rounded the edgeing over with a belt sander to give it the rounded shape. The only bending I did was the banding above and below the real bamboo on the face/base of the bar. Those are just a 2x6 (top) and a 2x8 (at floor) that I cut saw kerfs into about 3/4 through the boards and about an inch apart to make them flexible.

The faux paint job --hmmm. I don't remember exactly how I did it but I didn't use a glaze. In one of the pics of the bar during construction you can see that I painted it a pale yellow. I either went over that with a wood stain or some thinned down brown paint to give it that antiqued amber color. For the nodes, I just painted 2 thin lines about an eighth of an inch apart with burnt umber acrylic paint and took my thumb and smudged the lines outward away from each other to give it the torched node look. I then hit the whole thing with several layers of marine grade polyurethane. Hope this helps! Here's a cross section photo of the end of the bar where the top flips over for back bar access. The green is the 2x12 and the red is the 3/4" material:

While I'm here, a photographer friend from Knoxville, TN, Scott Kirkham, was down a few weeks ago and took some great shots:

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-12 08:36 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-05 20:16, little lost tiki wrote:
BUMP! Whatchoo workin on Brad?

Hey Cizur Nek,
Well I haven't been working on much in the tiki genre lately although I still have a big Ku I started carving last year and have yet to finish along with my surfboard/tiki painting I still need to fix. Slacker! I have, however been dabbling around in the backyard some working on 'The Jungalero Lagoon'. Want to make a clamshell waterfall or a waterfall with at least one clamshell embedded in it. We'll see.....
Not tiki yet but it's part of the grand plan of the Jungalero Lounge, Gardens and Lagoon.

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-12 08:46 am   Permalink

First a Room
Now a Lagoon!
with a Clamshell waterfall!?
If it's even half as cool as the Jungalero Room
I need to visit the East Coast!

Bunned I'll be missing you kids at the Hukilau this year...
C'mon to Oasis!
your turn!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-12 08:57 am   Permalink

Its been a while since Ive looked at your pics... and the details of the whole thing are really amazing.

The curved bar.. the walls.. the floor....

Its just an incredible place and your skillset really shows in all of it.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-12 09:18 am   Permalink

Great job!

Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-12 10:38 am   Permalink

YA ...WOW!
the room looks amazing and the pond well it makes the one I let fill with leaves and dirt in my back yard look even worse! lol
GREAT WORK!

View Profile of TIKIVILLE Send a personal message to TIKIVILLE  Email TIKIVILLE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Pupu Pants
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-12 2:41 pm   Permalink

Hi Brad, thanks so much for explaining your process. Your bar has been one of my biggest inspirations on Tiki Central. It's just incredible looking.
I'm also trying to decide whether or not to use tile or paint on my floors and sure admire what you did with yours. Is that just painted concrete? Did you add 'texture'? It looks as though there is actual 'relief' to the faux rocks but I'm guessing that it's painted on in 2D? (and extremely well:)
Thanks again!
John

View Profile of Mr. Pupu Pants Send a personal message to Mr. Pupu Pants  Email Mr. Pupu Pants     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitony
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-05-12 6:22 pm   Permalink

Amazing job with the place! Everything a Tiki room should be! I love that fish tank diorama. Did you make the rock thing inside it? I also like the bamboo grid roof, oh and the faux bamboo bar edge... and the floor, well, its all amazing! The combo of matting, tapa, and bamboo should be put into some equation for others to follow!

Live like a Beachcomber!
www.TikiTony.com www.facebook.com/tikitonybeachcomber

View Profile of tikitony Send a personal message to tikitony  Email tikitony Goto the website of tikitony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-12 8:53 pm   Permalink

Thnx everyone for the comps! It's been a labor of love and still is --will probably never be be finished because I will just keep adding more stuff to it. Someone once told me that the secret to eternal life is having unfinished projects --I can't die because I have too much to do still!

Kinny --I'm not making Hukilau this year either, nor Oasis so you just need to come hang on the right coast for a few days and I'll put you and miss T up for a few days anytime.

Thnx for the comps Monkeyman, I could really use some of your frames and lamps here--they're the best and I couldn't do a better job myself. We'll have to talk.

Queen K! I can only dream that my place will one day look like yours --you've got the best skilled peeps taking care of you --your place rocks in a BIG way to me!!!!!

Tikiville --my pond is only a few days old, don't even have the filter hooked up yet and it already looks like shit, maybe because I don't have the filter hooked up yet...getting there. Have plenty of leaves, etc., that I need to take care of.

Mr. Pupu --it's a concrete slab floor that I taped off 'grout lines' with a roll of duct tape that I split in half to be about an 1" wide then painted the floor with some garage floor paint (impervious to anything, supposedly). I used a mix of black and dark green then got some grey garage floor paint and used the edge of a piece of sheet metal to make the lighter colored marbley relief look you see on the floor. Many 'how to' paint tips on youtube.

Mucho thanx, Tiki Tony. You're an amazing artist yourself. I'll have to have one of your pieces in the bar one day for sure! I found the Moai head online at some aquarium website. I also have a few pieces in the aquarium that I got from ebay--I have a 'saved search' for vintage aquarium ornaments ---cool stuff! Thanx!

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-12 9:12 pm   Permalink

How,

I like your thinking on the Lagoon...

Shallow.

No Drunken Drownings!

You rock man!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build stuff for you!
www.myspace.com/bambooben

[ This Message was edited by: RevBambooBen 2009-05-12 21:13 ]

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-12 9:22 pm   Permalink

Gotta keep my peeps outta the deeps.... no U rock!

Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-12 10:12 pm   Permalink

There he is... back again!

Good to hear from you Brad!

Its been a while!

Glad to see you're keeping busy, and the backyard looks tops!

I remember last year when it was a jungle of banana trees and plants... the lagoon is an excellent addition!

Have fun with it all!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-13 6:11 pm   Permalink

Now there's a lagoon!!!! how did I miss this development, I need you to come to my back yard and direct some projects. my pond is leaking ever since the big windstorm blew down a tree and cracked the concrete.

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wayfarer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-15 10:02 am   Permalink

That joint is beautiful inside and out!

View Profile of Wayfarer Send a personal message to Wayfarer  Goto the website of Wayfarer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation