FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Jungalero Lounge featured in IMBIBE magazine (NEW PHOTO)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
Jungalero Lounge featured in IMBIBE magazine (NEW PHOTO)
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-20 09:16 am   Permalink

Surf n Turf,
That is some incredible work you are doing. Great job. can't wait to see more.

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-22 10:00 am   Permalink

Whew! been busier than a one-legged man in a butt kickin' contest but I'm back with a mild update.

Alot of graphics work has kept me from getting a lot done on the tiki bar project. Had to take care of my peeps down at the Ft. Lauderdale International Boat Show--always a big job-multi designs-thousands of tee's.

Also had to do some work for the Eastern Surfing Association's Governor's Cup of Surfing. I could've put some tikis in the design but for whatever reason, I didn't. However, they wanted me to give them a pic of myself to put in the program booklet so I took a pic of myself with one of my previous old-school polypop style carves.

As a way of signing my work, I always try to add myself into the design somewhere--on the wave here, driving boats in Ft. Laud BoatShow designs, etc.

OK-back to tiki stuff-
The tiki-fied outdoor kitchen/bar project I'm working on shall from here forward be called "The Hukilau Hut" since the theme, however vague, is fish! I love to eat fish, catch fish, look at fish, draw fish, paint fish, flop around in the water like fish and occasionally, drink like a fish so I will incorporate more fishiness as I progress. (netting, glass fish floats, puffers, etc.--you know what I'm talkin' 'bout)

Still haven't tweaked the teko on the gable ridge yet but I'm pretty sure I know what I'm gonna do about it now. Done alot of 'general carpentry' type stuff and some bamboo work--here's some pics:

Capped the 2x4's with some bamboo that I split, flame burnished the nodes and finished w/ some exterior polyurethane.

You can see here the salvaged fencing I put up for the back wall and will eventually cover with roofing felt/tar paper then cover that with reed fence.

Here's a shot from across the yard-w/ roofing paper applied to back wall:

Here's a shot from the deck. You can see the Ondura roofing panels I'm putting up--tuff stuff!

Here's a dog's eye view--I let him snap the pic! You can see the reed fencing on the ceiling and the underside of the roofing panels (toward top of pic)

And here's a pic from my nextdoor neighbors deck. Thank gootness I've got a super cool neighbor (Hi Carol!) and a super laid back HOA.

When this is all said and done, I want to do a pond/pool/waterfall type thing beside the hut---back to work--Thanks for looking!

[ This Message was edited by: surf-n-turf 2007-04-11 20:34 ]

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-22 2:55 pm   Permalink

That's good stuff Brad. I really like the pics in the surfer materials. Way cool. You look like some mad jungle anthropologist in the pic with your carving! How long until you think you might have the roof on and the gable completed? Man does it look great! I like your idea of fencing the back wall and then using straw; very nice. I can't wait to see this project completed. Next time I head up to Summerville I'll need to stop in and hang out under the 2xteko. Maybe we can exchange fishy stories and fry some fillets?

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-22 7:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:
You look like some mad jungle anthropologist in the pic with your carving!

Ha! funny, you're not the only person to say that, or something along those lines (crazed scientist in exotic locale references)

I hope to have the roof done this week (by Fri).

Yessir! come on up. We'll talk fish and compare battle scars like Cptn. Quint, Sheriff Brody and Hooper in 'Jaws'!!!

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-23 04:35 am   Permalink

"Here's to swimmin' with bow-legged women." - Quint

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-23 2:11 pm   Permalink

I really dig the carved panels , makes me want to give it a try.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-10 9:58 pm   Permalink

Still working on the old 'Hukilau Hut' as well as converting my basement into a nice, dark tiki room/bar area. I've started (and finished) some faux tapa paint effects on the walls. I've also got 100 feet x 3 feet of lauhala and lots of reed fencing and bamboo to get started with. I did the faux tapa with some little stamps I cut out of a piece of a foam camping mat and glued to small peices of 1/4 in. plywood.

I still need a name for the indoor part but I think I'm sticking with 'Hukilau Hut' for the outside part. I guess this has turned into one large project and I'll be jumpng back and forth from inside room to HukiHut. Here's what I've got for now.

Here I've applied a dark green, almost black wash over the gold/black tapa pattern so it wouldn't be so stark. Also painted the ceiling vey, very dark green.

Here's some shots of the stamps I made. I filled in some of the details on the walls by hand/paintbrush.

So now that I've got umpteen hundred unfinished projects going on, I can't tell you what I'm going to post next. I'll keep you informed.
Thanx for looking, back soon.

VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-10 10:21 pm   Permalink

Wow...you are a busy guy. It is wonderful to see your visions come to life in these pictures. You are gonna have an awesome tiki basement and yard when done.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-11 03:39 am   Permalink

S N T ! Very well done! You are creative to say the least. Your priority should be to take a few days off, chill with the family and drink Mai Tai while making a list of what you need to do to finish this. It is important to finish things Stay on the list!

Everything looks fantastic!

Mahalo!

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Surf tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-11 07:35 am   Permalink

Wow Brad, things are looking great. How did you manage to get a basement that close to the water? I would have an indoor, underground swimming pool.

Great idea on the stamping, looks real good with the dark wash over it.

As far as the name goes I would try to work Follynesia into it. I also wish you could get some work on some of our surf contest shirts here. Although last years East Coast Surfing Championships shirts did have a tiki on them they were not all that great looking.

View Profile of Surf tiki Send a personal message to Surf tiki  Email Surf tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-11 08:09 am   Permalink

Thanks Vamp--yes, very busy, we can sleep when we're dead!

Thanks McT --Creativity was born out of neccessity and I'm finding it neccessary to get this $&!# done before spring--errr-summer now. I agree, maybe a minor priority readjustment might be in order here.

Thanks Kim- I guess garage would be a more appropriate word instead of basement. We're elevated 9 feet above the ground and I'm just getting around to finishing enclosing the underside. You can partially see the unenclosed underside in the 8th pic down from the top, taken from my neighbors deck.

As far as the t-shirt design thing, I could always use a little extra work (sheez, did I say that?!) I'm about to start 2 new designs for the ESA-one contest shirt and a general, all-purpose shirt. I'm going TIKI on the contest shirts this time. I'll keep you posted. I always have extras printed, if you're interested. PM me if you have any contacts for the people who are in charge of shirts or if you want shirts.

Thanks guys/gals,
Brad

little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-11 10:06 am   Permalink

Brad!
You're Non-stop! Everything you tackle comes out Marvellous! Must be the Luv mixed with the Talent mixed with the Brain!!! The basement with the tapa painted panels is outtasight! You're going to have such a bitchen pad when all this is done! Congrats!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-11 9:31 pm   Permalink

Thanks Ken, I'm going to save a place on the wall for a Ruzic original!!! or print!!! or whatever I can get!!!! Don't make me come out there to HB!

I worked on some more faux tapa stuff today. I used the stamp method only on the background this time with a color slightly darker than the base color and I just hand drew the darker lines on the painted OSB sheeting with a jumbo sharpie. The pattern is a liitle of this-n-that from pics I've seen. I also framed it out with some flamekist bamboo and hit it lightly with some red mahogany stain mixed with a little poly. Not sure why I did the stain-I just tried a little in a corner and ended up going the distance with it. I'm OK with it but I don't want to end up doing the whole room with it--no sense in making xtra work for me.

Base coat with darker toned pattern stamped on.

Darker lines applied and It's been wiped with a little of the stain as well for an aged, splotchy look

view from across the room:

Had to throw in some other stuff here to get a check on the vibe level. You can really see what the red mohag stain did in this pic. Actually matches my chair to a tee almost. Still gotta solve the concrete post dilemma

Lights out shot:

Still got major tweaking to do. I started making a bamboo grid drop ceiling tonight ---we'll see what happens.
Tinx fer lookin',
BH

Surf tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-12 06:22 am   Permalink

Getting better and better!! Maybe you could do faux lava stone pillars with chicken wire and spray foam??

View Profile of Surf tiki Send a personal message to Surf tiki  Email Surf tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-12 08:13 am   Permalink

You could do slate/ rock/ faux rock over the CMU pillars.

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation