FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Jungalero Lounge featured in IMBIBE magazine (NEW PHOTO)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
Jungalero Lounge featured in IMBIBE magazine (NEW PHOTO)
PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-12 08:29 am   Permalink

just a thought. Maybe you could paint over the concrete with a darker color and just simply place a large tiki in front of it. If you have one of course. Just my two cents.

View Profile of PockyTiki Send a personal message to PockyTiki  Email PockyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-13 07:18 am   Permalink

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I might have enough bamboo to wrap the posts with (first choice)--or I can get more if neccessary. I've tossed around the idea of faux lava rock or stone before. One thing I'm keeping in mind here is the ability to detach or otherwise take down all 'tiki-ness' in the event we ever decide to sell our house. A potential buyer might be thrown for a loop at all the tiki-ness and I would like to take most/all of it with me if we ever did sell/move. All bamboo, reed fencing, lauhala, carved panels, etc. are screwed or lightly stapled in place and when taken down the house resumes it's 'normal' (marketable?) look.

Hope to have more pic updates tonight or tomorrow--I've istalled some lauhala and made a bamboo drop-ceiling grid as well as a tiki-licious swag lamp to hang from the ceiling grid.
Thanks for looking-check back soon!
BH

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-13 08:03 am   Permalink

Coming along famously Brad!
Quote:
and I just hand drew the darker lines on the painted OSB sheeting with a jumbo sharpie.

You might wanna give the black sharpie a few light coats of UV spray..the sharpie will fade amd turn a brownish color and fade-sometimes bleed.Use those decocolor black paint pens.I heard sharpie has paint pens too-just make sure they have that magic xylene in the formula and aren't water-based paint pens...Good for sniffin too!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-13 5:50 pm   Permalink

Mrs Hoptiki here

Wow Wow Wow! Your progress is looking great! You are one creative guy with that faux tapa. Love it!

View Profile of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki Send a personal message to Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki  Goto the website of Mr&Mrs BPHoptiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-13 6:08 pm   Permalink

SNT,

You could always go with some plywood/particle board etc. anchored to the CMU block with just a couple of anchors that could be filled if u move/sell, that way you can cover the wood with paint and then bamboo/lahala whatevah. Here's an idea, whatever u do on the sides of that PVC pipe going vertically in the pillar pic. u could do a faux bamboo paint job on the PVC pipe itself. PVC looks great that way. Alternately put two pieces of split boo around the pipe.

You could also put anchors in the ceiling for the top of wood pillar covers and put some anchors on the floor to hold the bottom in place, or you could build a 3 sided box for each column and then only attach to the wall or maybe leave freestanding if you weight/widen the bottom.

The basement/ backyard bar is really coming along nicely. It's fun to watch.

S T

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2007-04-13 18:09 ]

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-13 9:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:
..the sharpie will fade amd turn a brownish color and fade-sometimes bleed.

Thanx, Ken. That's actually good news for me in this case. I thought the black was a bit stark and 'contrasty' against the lighter color and wished I'd used a brown instead of black-so if it fades some it may look a little more subdued, dude. Handy info, I'll certainly hang on to it!

Thanx, Mrs. Hoptiki and welcome to TC! Being creative is fun, fun, FUN stuff!!! And this place is ultra-inspirational too!

Great ideas, S T, you know I think I've covered ALMOST every possibility for the pillar treatments. Just gotta find a balance between something that looks like a million bucks but doesn't cost a million bucks. You nailed it w/ the bamboozled PVC pipe paint job. That plan has been written into the to-do list. I fauxed some bamboo trim in my house last year using 1" quarter round molding so I think i can pull it off on PVC as well. The anchored ply is also a good idea for an inexpensive substrate to work on top of. You're putting as much thought into this as I am! Thanx much for the help!

Gettin' back on it.
BH

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-14 08:55 am   Permalink

Wow! That old 'Hukilau Hut' is so beautiful!! and the inside part too! I love it!!
Can't wait to see it finish...Is a great idea to make everything not fixed so you can take it with you any time! Keep rocking!!

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
khan_tiki_mon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-14 9:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Your priority should be to take a few days off, chill with the family and drink Mai Tai while making a list of what you need to do to finish this. It is important to finish things.

I never finish anything. I always leave some part undone. I call it the secret of immortality. I can't die because I've got to many things to finish. Of course my wife says I just have no focus and the attention span of a gnat. surf-n-turf, I love what you're doing. I have a similar project going but I'm not quite ready to start posting pics yet. I think I'm going to try your idea - faux tapa paint effect using stamps. Not a whole wall like you're doing but a border near the ceiling. Thanks for the ideas and the inspiration!!

View Profile of khan_tiki_mon Send a personal message to khan_tiki_mon  Email khan_tiki_mon Goto the website of khan_tiki_mon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-15 7:12 pm   Permalink

Looks great! I really love the tapa stamp method for decorating

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-01 6:15 pm   Permalink

Hey Brad!
Got any new goodies to share?

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMookie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-12 08:07 am   Permalink

Wow, you are a true artist, I love the tapa and what you've done to the place. A true inspiration and testiment to the fact that if you want to create something, you can make anything!!

You've given me some ideas too, thanks for that!!

Looks Awesome!

View Profile of TikiMookie Send a personal message to TikiMookie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-12 6:46 pm   Permalink

Your attention to detail and craft is amazing, you should be very proud, the basement and the hut ar really great, love the fake tapa!

Amy

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-13 6:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Still got major tweaking to do.

So that's how you get all this marvellous work done!

suburbanpagan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-13 7:34 pm   Permalink

LLT! If he was tweaking he would just be rearranging the furniture over and over! Looking awesome S-n-T!

View Profile of suburbanpagan Send a personal message to suburbanpagan  Email suburbanpagan Goto the website of suburbanpagan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-13 10:26 pm   Permalink

Man, that's some kick ass stuff surf-n-turf!

This post slipped by me, then again I'm shin deep in wood chips more than I'm on the computer.

Love the contest poster too, good soul vibe going on there.

Good luck on the basement!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation