FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Jungalero Lounge featured in IMBIBE magazine (NEW PHOTO)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
Jungalero Lounge featured in IMBIBE magazine (NEW PHOTO)
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-17 9:24 pm   Permalink

S-n-T, Just bounced through this thread for the first time...Dude, you the man! This is some crazy good stuff!

Thought you might dig this pic. someone sent to me.

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
greentikipat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-18 07:03 am   Permalink

looking absolutly killer! great seeing all this progress. you are very creative, your techniques show that to a tee. going to be an amazing environment!

View Profile of greentikipat Send a personal message to greentikipat  Email greentikipat Goto the website of greentikipat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-18 09:17 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Howland 2008-07-30 12:30 ]

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-18 09:31 am   Permalink

Thanks for the kind replies guys/gals. I'd just give up and quit if it wasn't for the encouragement! I've let this thread slip a little lately due to busy-ness (as opposed to business) but I'll have a mild update today after my camera batts charge.

There's alot of non-tiki aspects to this backyard/under house project. I'm having to take care of things like carpentry, rerouting some plumbing, laying stone and pavers----stuff like that, not to mention 'figuring time'--figuring out how I'm gonna do this and that, etc.. SO when all of this is done I can quit effing around and get back to some carving stuff--can't wait!!

That pic is too funny, Babalu. I can relate to it though--I'm as graceful as a cow in the water!!!

Thanx again everyone for checking in and showing some lovin' !!

[ This Message was edited by: surf-n-turf 2007-05-18 11:02 ]

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-18 10:19 am   Permalink

As promised........... (gotta love those 15 min. battery chargers!)
I've got quite an exotic blend of cultures going on here on the gable piece. A little teko action, a little fijian aktara action, a little hawaiian makau action with a little chinese wisteria to boot! I did the pieces at different times and for whateva reasons, my stain jobs didn't match up too well--I'll work it out somehow. I'm not real impressed with my thatch job but I think I'm going to add a few more layers on top of what I've already got there to thicken it up a bit.

this pic is from standing inside the tiki room project, where I've done my faux tapa painted walls, etc. Lotsa junk under the hut right now from moving stuff arond while working--it's all gotta go-chairs, table, etc. Still need to build the bar under the hut, finish the back walls and grout the patio stones. You can kinda see at the top of the pic in the dark where I've done some bamboo grid work on the ceiling. I've also trimmed out the 2x6 rafters under the hut with some split boo.

Thanks fer peepin' and I'll be back with you shawtly,
Brad

The Curse of Howland Island

McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-18 2:04 pm   Permalink

Sweetness!!! in the personal touch category sir!

Palapa Rulz!!

Mahalo

McTiki (from McTiki's)

[ This Message was edited by: McTiki 2007-05-18 14:08 ]

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-19 9:03 pm   Permalink

mucho tanx, McT!

ElDiablo

Posted: 2007-05-22 5:41 pm   Permalink

The "A" frame you made with the detailed front panels and the Teko/Hook/Club looks great!

I really like the Faux Tapa walls as well, they are a nice touch.
Very crafty creating the stamps, If you were to do it again, would you use the stamps of would you free hand it?

I can't wait to see what you do next.

Really nice job!

View Profile of ElDiablo Send a personal message to ElDiablo  Email ElDiablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-23 08:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-22 17:41, ElDiablo wrote:
Very crafty creating the stamps, If you were to do it again, would you use the stamps of would you free hand it?

Helloha! and welcome TC, El-D.
Thanks or the comments. I'm going to be doing some more freehand work on smaller areas like the fronts and sides of my concrete block posts after I fir them out and cover them with OSB. They are a foot wide and 9' tall. For any areas larger than that I will use stamps---just goes so much quicker when you're covering large areas. The stamps themselves take a little while to make though but they are reusable.

BH

The Curse of Howland Island

little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-23 8:29 pm   Permalink

When can we come over andgaze upon this Wonderment?

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-23 8:56 pm   Permalink

That gable is awesome. Very nice work, its coming along sweetly

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-11 4:17 pm   Permalink

Hey Hoss, shoot us some update pics? Ilove it!

-G

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-11 6:51 pm   Permalink

Yeah, what's happenin? Summer's almost gone! F.F.Freak brothers for life!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-11 10:11 pm   Permalink

Ho Boy... haven't seen this thread in a while. That's a beauty!
Love the makau holding the float! Great ideas all over this creation!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-12 07:07 am   Permalink

Funny you guys dig up the old thread as I was just organizing a slew of new pics to post. I got real busy on the backyard/under-tha-house project in the past couple of months--not to mention being slammed w/graphics work--what a distraction. So here's what I've been up to, from the start:

my original paint job--an experiment-glad I did away with it but it was a learning experience.
Installed an aquarium in the wall behind where the bar will eventually be. You can also see that I've painted the ceiling a very dark green--darker than it looks in the pic.
firring/framing around the concrete block columns.
Wrapping columns w/ 1/4"OSB.
Big changes now-Installed (how technical sounding) lauhala and reed fencing and "applied" a sort of faux finish to the wrapped columns

The other wall.
What's this? Perhaps a tapa stamp block carving in progress?

After several painstaking, finger numbing hours of foam stamp carving and darkening up my faux finished columns a bit, it came out looking like this.
another shot of the faux tapa.
Now I've freshly flame-kist about a thousand feet of bamboo poles I harvested from various locales around the hood.
So much boo-so much to do
Some bamboo in place
Another shot of boo placement
A shot of the aquarium with funky lighting. I'm going to put some shelving around the tank and probably over and under it as well. This will be the 'back-bar' area.
Playing with light bulbs again. Still need to do something with the rest of the ceiling--maybe a bamboo grid type thing like I already have toward the back of the room in this pic.
Not that you can really tell in his pic but I actually sprayed the entire room with exterior polyurethane with a little stain mixed in to even out the tone of the room and to protect from the humidity until I can get some sliding glass doors for each end of the room.
A shot from one end of the room looking out onto the lanai and the curved bar I'm working on. This is where I'll put up one sliding glass door and will finish the trim work once It's installed.
Walking out onto the patio from the lanai. I will eventually add bamboo splits to the front of the curved bar.
Last but not least, the ole gable ontop of the lanai with Chinese evergreen wisteria taking over!

Back soon (hopefully) with more progress shots. Thanks for looking,
Brad

[ This Message was edited by: howland 2007-09-12 10:36 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation