FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Jungalero Lounge featured in IMBIBE magazine (NEW PHOTO)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
Jungalero Lounge featured in IMBIBE magazine (NEW PHOTO)
FreddieBallsomic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-12 08:27 am   Permalink

Thats ALL lookin spectacular..I really dig that carved maori in front, holding the akatara~ Keep the pix comin', Bro.

View Profile of FreddieBallsomic Send a personal message to FreddieBallsomic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-12 08:35 am   Permalink

Awesome Brad! So Rad to see the Magic happen,especially step-by-step! Your digs are lookin soooTight! The aquarium ROCKS! and the bamboo on the c eiling mixed with the tapa accents on the walls.....SHAZAM! and I just keep imagining what it used to look like and now........WOW! Great going so far! Cannot wait to see it FULLY COMPLETE! Bravo Brad!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-12 09:01 am   Permalink

This is looking WAY cool!

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-12 09:25 am   Permalink

Hahahah! Amazing! I'm so happy for you, you are making a spectacular place and for yourself! thats what I like the most!!Best wishes!

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-12 09:47 am   Permalink

Stop it. You're making the rest of us look bad. Really though, it's un-be-liev-able. You planning on opening a Trader Vic's in your home? Holy cow. Actually, this looks far better than most of the new Vic's. And the aquarium is a nice touch ala La Mariana or Bahooka. Can't wait to see more.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-12 9:55 pm   Permalink

Man, howland! You're going all out. It's looking great so far. Looks like a great place to hang around......

www.samgambino.com

[ This Message was edited by: Sam Gambino 2007-09-12 21:56 ]

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-13 07:59 am   Permalink

top stuff - what a cool pad!
just went through the entire thread again... you're a busy man - keep it up!

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-13 6:43 pm   Permalink

FreddieB--Thanks, bro!

LLT- Thanks to you also--I can't wait to see it finished either!

Mucho Thanxo-Tiki Diablo!

Thanx Clarita--always good to hear from you!

Gator Rob-many mahalos for the impressive comparisons and especially the "far better than most of the new Vic's" comment--I'm diggin' it.

Sam--thanks for the comps! You're welcome to come hang out anytime!

Thanks, Harro---very busy indeed but I'm taking me a few days off from all forms of work type stuff for now.--I need a break!

Next step, I believe, will be a stone with grout lines type paint job on the floor and then design/build the bar so I can get busy with some R-n-R!!! I still need to pimp my fish tank out too.

Stay tuned--more on the way. After my mini vacation.

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-16 4:11 pm   Permalink

Okay...Every so often somebody comes along that totally "gets it" and has the passion and resourcefulness to match. Brad is one of these. Me and Swanky were walking through this very Lanai and Tiki room- under-construction the other day and saying at every angle: "Man, this is a first class job!" That's having seen between the two of us a lot, and I mean a lot of home tiki bars. And everybody knows what a snob I am. This one is true-to-form classic tiki in every way. Brad, you're old school, man. Top knotch all the way. No cutting style or form corners or settling for "It'll do" or some half-assed mixture in that bar-just take a walk through and you can see. Pure as driven snow. You're in my top ten home bars all the way! It was a pleasure hanging with you and Elisha and thanks for setting up the deal with Ken on the place to stay. Swanky, Steph, you know I'll be all up in your grill at some date soon. It was a lot of fun.
Member #490

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-17 1:25 pm   Permalink

MEGA mahalos for the compliments, BK! Glad ya'll were able to come to the coast for a few days and hang with us. It was a mighty fine time. Tell Nikki and Lea we said hello and arf-arf! Swank and Steph are mighy fine folks too.

All of my inspiration for this project has come from vintage postcards and other ephemera and I'm trying to stay true to that vibe. No new school here. OLD SCHOOL RULZ!!! The only new stuff going in here (if I can help it) is reproductions of vintage accoutrements and what-not. Shooting for the mid-century tiki/trader look.

TODAYS UPDATE--sorry, no pics yet--- I taped off my 'grout lines' with duct tape and painted the floor with a heavy-duty, oil-based garage floor paint. I used gloss black with a little hunter green thrown in to soften the starkness a little. The gloss gives it a sort of wet look and catches reflections of the lights over head. I'll pull the tape off tommorrow if it's dry and hopefully post some pics.
Mahalos, Ya'll!!

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-22 9:56 pm   Permalink

Got my floor paint job done--took a little longer than I had anticipated, partially due to humidity and/or rain, but I think I'm happy with the final result. I took a roll of duct tape, made a deep cut with a utility knife down the center of the roll so's to have 1in. to 1&1/4 in. width tape. Laid the tape down on the floor in a grout line kinda pattern--hit it with some black garage floor paint (with a smidge of dark green mixed in). Pulled the tape off when the paint dried--here's a few progress shots:

grout pattern with split duct tape on bare concrete here. I tried to use some strategy in covering up my stains and spills with the dark paint and running my grout lines where there weren't any nasty spots:

here's after tape was pulled--too much conrast, I thought. The concrete areas (grout lines) looked to bright/white/contrasty, so I eventually covered the whole floor with a mixture of the floor paint and some paint thinner to darken the grout line areas.

Also started laying out the bar here. It's gonna be a curved bar with a bamboo front:

Getting into the vibe---just laying some stuff out, playing with colored light bulbs again--seeing where what's gonna work where and so on. As i come closer to 'being finished' time, things will probably have been moved around even more.

Here's another shot, while I'm shootin':

I'll be getting on the bar project in a couple days maybe ---so stay tuned!
Mahalos to all
BH

little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-22 10:02 pm   Permalink

Nice! Almost there brad! looking better and better each post!
If i'm ever passing thru Mayberry-by-the-sea, I'm definitely stopping by for
a MaiTai and the Grand Tour!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-22 10:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-09-22 22:02, little lost tiki wrote:
Nice! Almost there brad! looking better and better each post!
If i'm ever passing thru Mayberry-by-the-sea, I'm definitely stopping by for
a MaiTai and the Grand Tour!

Thanx, bruvva! The drinks are on me and I may even be able to fold you out a cot in the Jungalero Lounge/Room.... for a trade for something that has skulls for eyes!!

pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-23 02:23 am   Permalink

Inspiring work. Love everything but aren't you afraid of fire with that torch?

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-23 05:35 am   Permalink

Thanx, Paps. The torch won't stay-I just stuck it in the flower pot for a little extra light while I was taking pics.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation