FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » The show me your Witco thread.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 Next Page )
The show me your Witco thread.
TikiTrevor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-27 4:39 pm   Permalink

39.99 at a Thrift Store. Not rare, but good find.

View Profile of TikiTrevor Send a personal message to TikiTrevor  Email TikiTrevor Goto the website of TikiTrevor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-27 9:48 pm   Permalink

Also unusual in shape, and framing. This is either a very early Witco outrigger, or an imitation.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-28 7:32 pm   Permalink

some mo...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTrevor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-29 09:24 am   Permalink

It could be an imitation. I don't see any Witco marking on it. Either way, I still think it's a good find for the price. It looks good in my Tiki Room too!

View Profile of TikiTrevor Send a personal message to TikiTrevor  Email TikiTrevor Goto the website of TikiTrevor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jackieh

Posted: 2007-07-01 06:32 am   Permalink

Hi all, I am new to this forum and did not know it existed until I googled Witco this morning. I have quite a collection of pieces from the late 60's and early 70's. I am trying to make a decision about selling them or keeping them. I will take pictures and post them here later today.

Jackieh

View Profile of Jackieh Send a personal message to Jackieh  Email Jackieh     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-01 07:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-01 06:32, Jackieh wrote:
Hi all, I am new to this forum and did not know it existed until I googled Witco this morning. I have quite a collection of pieces from the late 60's and early 70's. I am trying to make a decision about selling them or keeping them. I will take pictures and post them here later today.

Jackieh

Wait a bit until Sven aka Big Bro finishes his Witco/Vitco book and you will double your money.

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jackieh

Posted: 2007-07-03 3:04 pm   Permalink

Here are the witco pieces that I have had since the late 60/early 70's. This first set is two side tables, a lamp table, lamp and cat magazine holder. I tried to do some close-up shots to show the carving. I am not sure how many photos can be attached to one post so I will continue in next post.

View Profile of Jackieh Send a personal message to Jackieh  Email Jackieh     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jackieh

Posted: 2007-07-03 3:58 pm   Permalink

Ok, I made 2 post with pictures, but I don't see them. Can anyone tell me if they are posted or did I do something wrong?

Jackie

Jackieh

Posted: 2007-07-03 4:13 pm   Permalink

Third try, here are my remaining pieces

TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-03 4:19 pm   Permalink

nice! i am sure you are getting alot of PM'S right now. when you establish a some prices let me know. TD

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikidreams
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-05 06:47 am   Permalink

Does it strike anyone that witcos tiki-pieces would be seen as to african to pass as tiki if they were produced today?

[ This Message was edited by: tikidreams 2007-07-07 05:58 ]

View Profile of tikidreams Send a personal message to tikidreams      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-06 01:12 am   Permalink

Very good point. Yet the fact that I am trying to keep Tiki Style defined today, during its revival, as mainly Polynesian, does not change what inspired creative license was taken in the past. Witco made sculpture and furniture based on both, Oceanic AND African primitive art, which is in keeping with the tradition of the "Moderns" (as the European avantgarde of the 1920s was called), who drew inspiration from ALL "primitive art" (mostly in the form of carved idols). Therefore I am calling Witco TIKI MODERN, with partly generic/ partly Polynesian god-heads being its main feature, and modernism/primitivism being the other stylistic element. Also because of the fact that Witco was successful with their product MAINLY because it met the public's need for exotica fueled by the POLYNESIAN craze. However, there definitely was another customer group (I am quoting from Tiki Modern):

"It might come as a surprise then that some of the offerings by Witco Inc also struck a chord with young African Americans who were looking for their roots during the black liberation movement of the 1960s and early ‘70s. Although, its high cliche content was clearly the antithesis to the new black self-confidence that contemporary civil rights organizations promoted, the audaciousness of Witco style fit in with the “super-cool” individualism that young colored men cultivated at the time, even if it was pure blaxploitation."

And another quote from my chapter "WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE-The history and meaning of the Leopard print":

"Witco's atavistic native carvings that framed these exotic critter fabrics in profusion were pure pop primitivism, an amalgamation of Oceanic and African tribal art, perfect for your home Tiki lounge.
Although leopards and tigers never roamed in the Polynesian islands, they were associated by proxy. The equation here was: Native environs=teaming jungles=big cats. This kind of mixing up of stylistic influences was characteristic of the fantasy world of Tiki Modern, where the spirit of whimsical savagery reigned, leaving boring authenticity to the stuffed shirts. Anyway, most white folks didn’t know better, or cared."

Of course, this liberal interpretation of Tiki will be used to prove that I am contradicting myself and that Tiki is a free-for-all style fest. But again, I am differentiating here (splitting hairs, some will say):

TIKI STYLE = POLYNESIAN POP
TIKI MODERN = POP PRIMITIVISM (which includes Polynesian Pop, but also goes beyond it in its sources)

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Primo Kimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-06 05:00 am   Permalink

Wow Sven ...I just can't wait for the purdy pitures;)

View Profile of Primo Kimo Send a personal message to Primo Kimo  Email Primo Kimo Goto the website of Primo Kimo ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikidreams
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-07-08 10:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-07-06 01:12, bigbrotiki wrote:
Very good point. Yet the fact that I am trying to keep Tiki Style defined today, during its revival, as mainly Polynesian, does not change what inspired creative license was taken in the past. Witco made sculpture and furniture based on both, Oceanic AND African primitive art, which is in keeping with the tradition of the "Moderns" (as the European avantgarde of the 1920s was called), who drew inspiration from ALL "primitive art" (mostly in the form of carved idols). Therefore I am calling Witco TIKI MODERN, with partly generic/ partly Polynesian god-heads being its main feature, and modernism/primitivism being the other stylistic element. Also because of the fact that Witco was successful with their product MAINLY because it met the public's need for exotica fueled by the POLYNESIAN craze. However, there definitely was another customer group (I am quoting from Tiki Modern):

"It might come as a surprise then that some of the offerings by Witco Inc also struck a chord with young African Americans who were looking for their roots during the black liberation movement of the 1960s and early ‘70s. Although, its high cliche content was clearly the antithesis to the new black self-confidence that contemporary civil rights organizations promoted, the audaciousness of Witco style fit in with the “super-cool” individualism that young colored men cultivated at the time, even if it was pure blaxploitation."

And another quote from my chapter "WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE-The history and meaning of the Leopard print":

"Witco's atavistic native carvings that framed these exotic critter fabrics in profusion were pure pop primitivism, an amalgamation of Oceanic and African tribal art, perfect for your home Tiki lounge.
Although leopards and tigers never roamed in the Polynesian islands, they were associated by proxy. The equation here was: Native environs=teaming jungles=big cats. This kind of mixing up of stylistic influences was characteristic of the fantasy world of Tiki Modern, where the spirit of whimsical savagery reigned, leaving boring authenticity to the stuffed shirts. Anyway, most white folks didn’t know better, or cared."

Of course, this liberal interpretation of Tiki will be used to prove that I am contradicting myself and that Tiki is a free-for-all style fest. But again, I am differentiating here (splitting hairs, some will say):

TIKI STYLE = POLYNESIAN POP
TIKI MODERN = POP PRIMITIVISM (which includes Polynesian Pop, but also goes beyond it in its sources)

Never thought I would get a response that well thought out. I say you can never go wrong with leopard. Well that´s just me being an old punk. And i do enjoy "primitive" african art for inspiration just as much as polynesian.

Your quote on the black liberation movement rang a bell in my head of an image of a black panther sitting in a rattan chair holding a sphere. Very interesting input and looking forward to the new book.

View Profile of tikidreams Send a personal message to tikidreams      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matango Derek
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-08 9:21 pm   Permalink

I scored this today for $15.00...the best part is that the seller talked themselves down from $20.00!!! I love when it's easy...

I picked this up at a Goodwill a few years back for $25.00...

BTW, can anyone recommend a good, safe way to hang this monstrosity? For years, it's been leaning instead of hanging because it's so dang heavy. It deserves better than leaning!

View Profile of Matango Derek Send a personal message to Matango Derek      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation