FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki So who else got the unsolicited "Polynesian Paintings by Louis Behan" email?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
So who else got the unsolicited "Polynesian Paintings by Louis Behan" email?
Kona Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-25 6:55 pm   Permalink

So I was just checking my email, and found this rather large message (5MB) from a David Behan, who is attempting to sell paintings by his father. Now I'll admit that some of the paintings would look great hanging in a home tiki bar (naked wahine with Tikis), but I do find it a little inappropriate to recieve this unsolicited, especially if you were to recieve it at a work email address, considering it is DEFINITELY NSFW. A post here I think would have garnered some real interest, but I have the feeling that there are going to be a number of us whom will be a tad put out by it. Especially those of us still on dial-up.

Anyway, I wasn't sure if this would be better to post here, or in the "tiki marketplace" forum given the content.

Chris

View Profile of Kona Chris Send a personal message to Kona Chris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-25 7:08 pm   Permalink

Yeah I just got one too , right after reading this.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stuff-o-rama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-25 8:16 pm   Permalink

I got it too. I felt honored that he would consider me in the group. I get high volumes of unsolicted e-mails, it's part of my biz so I'm used to it. But in an office environment I can see how some of the paintings could be considered inappropriate.

In this case I think he was just trying to find some people who understood the sentiment behind the paintings, rather than to auction them off to some random people. I appreciated the fact he wanted people who collected polynesian arts to have the first choice. But harvesting people's e-mails to spam or sell crap usually gets to me. For some reason, I didn't mind this one.

View Profile of stuff-o-rama Send a personal message to stuff-o-rama  Goto the website of stuff-o-rama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-25 8:33 pm   Permalink

I didn't get one, maybe my spam filter ate it.

Either that or he does not have my address.

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kona Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-25 8:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-07-25 20:16, stuff-o-rama wrote:
In this case I think he was just trying to find some people who understood the sentiment behind the paintings, rather than to auction them off to some random people. I appreciated the fact he wanted people who collected polynesian arts to have the first choice. But harvesting people's e-mails to spam or sell crap usually gets to me. For some reason, I didn't mind this one.

I pretty much felt the same way, to be honest. It didn't bother me to get the email (I get SO much spam, that to have one that I actually enjoyed is refreshing) but I still think he should have made a post about it here instead.

Chris

[ This Message was edited by: Kona Chris 2006-07-25 20:48 ]

View Profile of Kona Chris Send a personal message to Kona Chris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-26 07:36 am   Permalink

I got it too and wasn't happy he took me from TC and did it that way. A Post in TC would have been much better. It's just that if he got our e-dresses for this, what else is he doing with them??

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-26 07:57 am   Permalink

But you got pictures of naked wahines in your e-mail, right?

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-27 05:44 am   Permalink

I replied saying they were cool paintings - but what he was doing was SPAM and I beleive it to be illegal. Yes its tiki - but its mass mailed SPAM nonetheless. Post it in marketplace. If I want to buy it, I will look at the post.

Trying to get it to people who "appreciate" it, or a calculated effort to get the highest profit by strategically targetting potential purchasers?

I cut some slack because it could have been an honest mistake, although I dont beleive it was... I was on the verge of giving them a tyrade of abuse (did a 15 hr day yesterday, 12 hr day today - not in the mood for s*** like this)

A one off is okay, but imagine if every tiki related firm did the same and filled your inbox with Target tiki based spam specials?

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-07-27 08:37 am   Permalink

Are the paintings done well, or are they crap?

Photos?

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-27 10:25 am   Permalink

GROG wrote:
Are the paintings done well, or are they crap?

Photos?

A few months ago, can't quite target when, several of Behan's paintings were listed on eBay. I also cannot remember whether one of his children was behind the auctions, it may have been in conjunction with a gallery. There were 3-4 if I recall, and the one I wanted went for some good money. I did some research on the artist and found out what little I could. There is a thread on it right here at TC. Some of his work is in USAF base museums, portraits of admirals and such. I know, admirals are in the Marines.

I received the email, and was only upset at the size of the files. That as WAY too much data to be sending. Otherwise, I was cool with it. Hey, you put your email addy out in public, you asking for it, brah (the chicks dig it when I talk pidgin). There are some nice pieces for sale, I really enjoy Behan's work. The problem: the price. Some of the works could fetch the offer, but most will not. It's talented stuff, I like it, wouldn't mind owning a couple. Now, with the weight of my personal recommendation, the works will fly of the wall. A wee taste:

He should list the paintings on eBay, the velvets with wahines and tikis would get top dollar. The paintings of injuns and lions, not so much. Oh, I know, it's not "injuns", sorry for my poor form. It's the Navy that has admirals.

In the Navy!
cpt.midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-07-27 11:24 am   Permalink

Hey BK, Is that Foxy brown?

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes

Posted: 2006-07-27 4:17 pm   Permalink

hey guys, thanks for hosing us who wanted to just buy the damned paintings outright.

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-27 4:45 pm   Permalink

On 2006-07-27 16:17, dogbytes wrote:
hey guys, thanks for hosing us who wanted to just buy the damned paintings outright.

Well, hot damn. You're welcome.

Although, I believe you're confusing us with Canadians.

Paintings be damned, be damned!

Hoover, Three Gorges, random beavers,
midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ThreeTikis
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-07-27 6:05 pm   Permalink

I didn't get that email but I did get one from Scott Scheidly with the title "New Tiki Art and Prints". Actually I thought it was kind of interesting and had no problem with it.

View Profile of ThreeTikis Send a personal message to ThreeTikis  Email ThreeTikis     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-27 8:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-07-27 10:25, midnite_tiki wrote:
Hey, you put your email addy out in public, you asking for it, brah

Folks mass emailing SPAM be asking for a mouthful. We got a whole section of TC dedicated to selling stuff - use it like everyone else!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation